rainy season - water clarity

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Juliette

rainy season - water clarity

Post by Juliette » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:24 pm

We are planning to visit Tobago for two weeks and can go any time from September to November. We plan to do a lot of snorkelling and, we hope, diving.

I was wondering if the rainy season would affect underwater visibility, run-off from rivers etc.

Also - would any of our chosen months be better or worse weather-wise? Probably a silly question - but I just wondered if the odds were any different in early or late autumn.

Many thanks

David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy
Cornwall

Post by David Watkins » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:32 pm

Juliette,
The "rainy" season means it is more likeley to rain than in the "dry" season.It rains in short bursts and then half an hour later it is as if it never happened.You'll find plenty of places to snorkell and dive.
Have a good time
David

Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic
Great Britain

Post by Glyn Kirpalani » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:54 pm

Hi Juliette

I would add that November is slightly cooler than September, a welcome drop. There is indeed some obscurity caused by rain run off, including from the Orinoco in south america. Best snorkelling at your dates will be at Angel Reef off Speyside. But, some rainy seasons lately have been quite dry, and you may find the water clear, especially after a few days of dryish weather. It really is impossible to predict how clear it will be, but you won't be disappointed I am sure, if flexible.

You will see plenty of fish, or I am a Chinaman!

Glyn Wah Fung
Glyn Kirpalani

Juliette

water clarity

Post by Juliette » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:40 pm

Thank you very much for the advice.

We are both really looking forward to getting into the water.

Cheers

Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic
Great Britain

Post by Kevin Hampson » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:23 pm

Hi Juliette,
We had 10 days at the BWI in November last year and we were very unlucky and got 3 days of very heavy rain. It did have an effect on the water the vis went from excellent around 40m down to good around 10m. The usual heavy showers you get should have very little effect.

If you are only going snorkeling the BWI is pretty good as the bay is very sheltered, and there are some shallow reefs to snorkel on.

Why not do a PADI course while your there, by the end of the week you'll have seen more than a month of snorkeling.

Regards
Kevin

Return to “Weather”