Suggestion in case of bad weather

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Lupin
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Suggestion in case of bad weather

Post by Lupin »

Dear Paul,

I'm monitoring your hurricane thread and sadly it doesn't look good for the next weekend. We are a young couple (27) and we will arrive in Tobago tomorrow. What are your suggestions in case of bad weather? Are we talking about "don't-even-go-out-of-your-room" bad weather or just a lot of rain? Will it be safe to drive around the island? What can be done in Tobago if the weather is bad (in terms of activities, places to go, etc..)?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Paolo
Tom Ginot
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Re: Suggestion in case of bad weather

Post by Tom Ginot »

Well, i'm joining your request. I will travel to Tobago on saturday from the U.K . I hope I will have the flight even in case of a really bad weather :?
In addition , does someone know the forecast for the rest of the upcoming week ? I'm really scared to be stuck in my hotel bedroom for 12 days ...

Tom
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Bad weather...

Sometimes bad weather affect the whole island, sometimes not, sometimes the weather in the northern part of Tobago is bad when you are in the sun in the south, sometimes it raining in Scarborough when the sun is shining in Crown Point, sometimes you have a sunny beach at Pidgeon Point when it´s cloudy at Store Bay.

As for the moment, no one can say exactly how bad it will be, not even Paul I guess, Tobago is a small Island. If the rain is heavvy, than it´s not much you can do, unless you like walking in the rain. Smaller shower is mostly not a problem as long you like to be in the water. Mostly it´s warmer to be in the sea too!

There´s only one big mall in the south, Lowlands Mall, and one smaller at the junction for Shirvan Road. Sometimes I go there just to be inside for a while, relax and have something to eat or just a coffie. But even if the weather et/bad, this type of weather doesn´t use to stay day-after-day.

So you have to prepare for options of your choise if the weather is too bad.
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Lupin, Tom et al

if this system continues to strengthen and crosses the island chain closer than 150 to 200 miles of Tobago,
which is likely to happen, than the weather will be "stay inside and hide" weather.
I have been on the island during TS "Emilie" in 2005 and TS "Tomas" in 2010. On both occasions there were
at least torrential rains, flooding and debris flying through the air at times.
You should not be outdoors under those conditions at all.

If the system passes closer to Tobago and the island should be put under a tropical storm warning, the airport
may be closed and your flights cancelled or re-routed.

Keep fingers crossed.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I am only saying to take precautions ... these weather disturbances are unpredictable.

You will be safe in most areas so what I am saying is don't ...

- go camping
- go sailing
- go hiking in the rainforest

This disturbance is not likely to be a strong Cat 3+ Hurricane ... it is more likely to be a strong Tropical Depression, Storm or weak Cat 1 Hurricane and it is looking increasingly likely it will pass close to the north of Tobago.

I will keep posting updates but this should not spoil your holiday apart from a small chance that some flights could be diverted temporarily.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Lupin
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Lupin »

Thanks for your reply.

I'm monitoring the forecasts of the models and it might pass north of Barbados. If that's the case TObago should be ok, right?

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/? ... &ft=0&sl=0
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Not really.
Dependant on the magnitude of the system when it arrives in the island chain,
Tobago may still get a good lash of heavy rain and flooding. Keep monitoring.
It is much too early to get accurate forecast.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes ... the models are moving north but they can slip south again.

The Windward Islands are the first strike point for young and developing Storms and this is what makes it so unpredictable and then, when development has occurred, makes them more predictable for the US.

So it is very difficult as these young fledgling Storms wobble erratically in their early stages.

Even if this system goes north there will be rain and, locally, lots of it here and there.

This situation is no where near as severe as 2004's Hurricane Ivan that passed 10 miles north of Tobago so I don't expect a disaster ... I just want you all to be aware and to take precautions and to expect some travel disruptions.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Return to “Weather”