Visibility while snorkelling

Weather reports, questions and comment.
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Visibility while snorkelling

Post by WendyMay »

My family and I have visited Tobago at several different times over the years. We've visited during November and also May. We love to snorkel and found at those times the sea visibility was really crystal clear. We had some rain but that was fine as everywhere was lovely, green and lush and just perfect for snorkelling.

Our latest visit was at the end of March/beginning of April this year. The sea was quite rough, compared to the May and November visits. Out of the 14 days we spent in Tobago this time, there was only one day when the sea was clear enough to see anything of interest. We tried various locations both in the North and south, to no avail. Some of the local people told us that the sea is always like that, just before Easter?

We are now planning to visit Tobago again next year during August. Please can anyone comment on the weather and the sea conditions during August.
Thanks.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Visibility while snorkelling

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Wendy

I share your issues ... the best holiday I had was in June/July ... it is much calmer and the same can be said if you visit in August.

There are risks because you are visiting in the 'wet' season but, from my experience, it is no wetter than the dry season except that when it rains in the 'wet' season it could be for a week as opposed to a day in the dry season.

Also the sea is alot warmer during the 'wet' season.

Alot of it is down to luck ... it can be just as good in any season but you are more likely to get rough seas between December and May and that is a factor for keen snorkelers.

It annoys me a bit because I like to do my gardening in the UK summer (when it happens!) but I have to adapt :)

Hope this helps

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Re: Visibility while snorkelling

Post by WendyMay »

Hi! Paul.
Many thanks for the reply. Will pass info on to the rest of our party.
Regards

Return to “Weather”