The Weather!!

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Louise Richards

The Weather!!

Post by Louise Richards »

I'm due to be visiting Tobago in August and was wondering what to expect from the weather. I've been looking at the current weather reports and it looks like thunderstorms for the forseable future! Has anyone been recently who can confirm what the weather is really like. Also, can anyone confirm how bad the rain usually is during August? I really want a suntan!!
Louise :?
Katie

Post by Katie »

i went in august last year and it was fine yes there was the odd shower but then the sun came out. it was kind of a relief really after all the sun. don't worry about a tan either i wanted one and got the best one i've ever had, i didn't even sunbathe, it just came from been in the see and stuff, have fun and don't worry about the weather1 :D
Sally

Post by Sally »

We were there two weeks ago. One day we got rained out, but most of the days it was nice. It often rained at night, or sometimes there would be a light rain while the sun was shining. All in all, the weather was pretty good.
Bryn

Hello People!! It's the RAINY season!

Post by Bryn »

We were in T&T for the month of May (start of the rainy season). The weather was as expected. If you want constant sun.....it might be common sense to travel during the DRY season. One thing we humans cannot control is the weather.......don't worry about it and just ENJOY being on vacation! I came home with a tan!

Cheers!
Bryn
Louise Richards

weather

Thanks to all the people who replied to my querie regarding the weather in Tobago. In response to Bryn, us English aren't totally thick! I am perfectly aware that it is rainy season, and would love to travel during the dry season but some people including me, have work commitments!
I was simply enquiring about the weather to try and get some confirmation of the accuracy of the internet weather forecast sites.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Louise

In fairness to Bryn, looking at the weather forecast now when you're travelling in August is a little pointless. The weather forecasting systems in the Caribbean are no more sophisticated than ours at home, so nobody can tell you what the weather is going to be like. We can't even guarantee it for next week, much less two months away. Simply study the charts on our http://www.myTobago.info/weather.php Weather page, and on other sites, to see what average typical conditions are like and then keep your fingers crossed.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Tue May 30, 2006 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Hi Louise,

Tobago is a strange place as far as the weather goes... The rain is lovely if a little annoying at times!! It is like having a warm shower!! A plus point to the rain is that it will cool down the water in your swimming pool so if you do get the odd shower, just pop into the nearest bar, have a beer and all will be dry again by the time you leave!!

The centre of the Island, which is a Tropical Rain Forest, actually gets rain almost every day of the year. Most of the rain will fall at night though, so as long as you aren't a light sleeper you will be fine. It gets quite loud especially if you are in Cabana Style huts, as we were in Toucan Inn!!

And just to note, we were in Tobago during the dry season, and we saw quite a few showers!!

No matter what the weather you will get a great tan, have a great time, and come home completely chilled!!!
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Tobago weather

Post by Steve Pitts »

I think that the weather, rain, temperatures, humidity and so on, must form the major part of the forum enquiries.
Only natural I guess, given that we all want to be reasonably certain that our holidays are not a wash-out.

The point to make, is that Tobago is, after all, a tropical island - as close to those 'Bounty' adverts as you could imagine. Lush, tropical islands need rain and much of the island is covered in rain forest. You don't get one without the other, so a drop of rain comes with the package.

Others, including Joe, have tried to convey that the rain tends to fall as heavy showers, rather than five weeks of solid monsoon, and as odd as it sounds, the rain refreshes everything, including the tourists.

We've noticed a couple of trends over the years that we have been visiting Tobago.
The first is - that even in the dry season, it still rains (mostly at night or just before dawn)

Secondly - even in the rainy season, showers tend to be short-lived and the sun then shines again.

The prevailing winds tend to push showers down the island and over to the Caribbean, so I think that the Atlantic side gets less rain than the Caribbean side, after the build up of clouds over the central ridge.

Many times, we have been able to avoid the showers by popping over to the Atlantic coast e.g Canoe bay and have watched as the dark clouds and rain storms have soaked Pigeon Point and Store bay, or provided spectacular thunder and lightning over the northern coast of Trinidad.
It's an odd sensation at times, being sat in the glorious sunshine, while you know that people only a few miles away are seeking shelter.

If you don't have a car, or can't be bothered to dodge the showers, then do as Joe suggests and adjourn to the bar, for a little light refreshment.

Cheers
Steve
Louise Richards

Thanks

Thanks to Steve and Joe for the information regarding Tobago weather. We appreciate the fact that it is rainy season and are prepared for thunderstorms! We were really just curious as to what the weather is like at the moment. As I've said in my first post, the internet weather sites have made Tobago look like a total wash out and have done so for several weeks. We wanted to know how accurate their reflection of the current weather conditions actually are!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Louise,the internet weather is no guide at all.The last time Iwas there(Nov/Dec 03) I looked up the weather out of interest to find that we had prolonged rain with thunderstorms.........it had'nt rained for three days and there was bareley a cloud in the sky!!!!!!!
Just enjoy,David :D

Return to “Weather”