Thinking of visiting first two weeks in September

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Chris Catchpole

Thinking of visiting first two weeks in September

Post by Chris Catchpole »

Hi,

My wife and I are looking for a 2 week vacation in early September. We don't mind the odd shower or thunderstorm but we do like the Sun. Is it worth coming in September or will it be cloudy and raining most of the time, obviously rain in the evening would not be a problem.

Everywhere we look at present seems to have clouds, thunderstorms or showers, is it really that bad.

The area we would be interested in is the south west coast, possibly La Grand Courlan area.

Any advice would be appreciated.

regards

Chris
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Chris

Welcome aboard!

Sorry, I've got a fair few expert contacts, but none of them rate highly enough to predict the weather next week, much less in September. I can only suggest that you look at our annual weather profiles available at http://www.myTobago.info/weather.php

To be frank, I long since gave looking at our weather feeds for Tobago - they always seem to show shower or thunderstorms. In truth, Tobago does experience quite a few of them. I don't think I've ever visited in September - and certainly not in the last 30 years - but I can tell you that Tobago does receive a lot of rainfall, which is why it's so lush and green, but that most of it falls at night or in the early morning. Sudden storms can build very quickly. They last a few minutes and dissapear as quickly as they originated. Half an hour later everything is totally dry and you can't believe you had a rainstorm. Trouble is I guess the prediction of even one 5-minute T-storm is enough to make the weather services predict storms. So the whole thing is pretty useless.

If you're looking in Le Grand Courlan area, why not look at Le Grand itself. We had a wonderful stay there back in February. Check out our review.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Sat May 27, 2006 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

hi chris

don't worry. we had rain this morning and now it is sunny and hot and I'm happy to have the fan blowing at me full power.
it have a few clouds most of the time, but nothing serious. they call it cloudy and every european thinks of a grey day....not true here. now and then there is a rainy day with grey sky, a day to sit on the porch with a drink, read a book and watch this incredible rain. next day everything is back to normal.
so don't listen to the waether report and experience it yourself!

enjoy

steph & ali
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

I totally agree don't fret about the weather it will be better than a fantastic British day any time!!!!
David,be back to paradise soon :D :D
Mark Muncaster

Post by Mark Muncaster »

We have also booked for september at LGC and are a little worried of the weather but it can not be any wetter than it has been here :wink:
Any way it dosn't rain in the bar 8) :oops:
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

cant imagine a better place to have a drink (or two, or seven, or 36...) than the upstairs of cascreole in castara. try it (even on the rainiest day) watch the sea and enjoy...

steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
M Doolan

Post by M Doolan »

Hi there,

Just to confirm everyone else's sentiments, please don't worry about the weather. My partner and I went for two weeks in September last year and think we had about 3 days of rain with a few extra downpours in between. However, as Steve so rightly pointed out, it can be raining one minute - just enough time to pop to the bar and have a beer - and then dry the next and you can continue with your sunbathing.

Also looking forward to some good weather since I fly out on the 20th September with my new husband for our honeymoon for three weeks!

Enjoy.

Maggie
Chris Catchpole

We have booked 2 weeks at Le Grand Courlan, excellent review Steve. So Tobago here we come :D

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will look out for you Mark if you are there early September and Good Luck Maggie, congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon, sadly I will be home before you arrive.

regards

Chris
Chris Catchpole

:D

Just returned from Le Grand Courlan, Tobago and I can honestly say it only rained 3 times whilst I was there from 4th to 18th September.

Tuesday 7th September, Hurricane Ivan popped in for a visit and it rained all day with some severe winds but nothing too drastic. We had to stay in our rooms all day and night but the hotel looked after us and ensured we had candles and food and water.

The next day we were out sunbathing again and I believe we had 2 further downpours, lasting no longer than 30 minutes each during the rest of our 2 week stay.

Average mid day temperature was 96 degrees, with scattered clouds and plenty of sunshine even though the weather forescast stated thunderstorms nearly every day, if they were there we did not see them at Le Grand.

Interestingly on our return a tree in our rear garden had blown down due to the high winds being experienced in the UK at present, Ivan failed to impress in Tobago but got his revenge here.

We loved our holiday and will return to Tobago again someday. I will write a fuller report on the holiday and hotel for the website later.

regards
Chris

Return to “Weather”