Hurricane ?

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

we are still here, some trees not, battery on last drop, still no currant and blockages on the way out, so we gotta stay in castara and wait.....
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Ellie G

Hi there

Post by Ellie G »

I was looking through the net and fell on this fantastic site - I am actually not visiting Tobago (but hope to one day) but Grenada in three weeks time and after reading your weather reports regarding Ivan, I have been worrying myself silly. I apologise if my question is not appropriate but I am desperately trying to find out if it will be around in Grenada then.

Thank you

Ellie
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hello all my frioends in Tobago,Ihope every one is safe and well
David
Arianne

Post by Arianne »

Anxiously waiting for more news!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Ellie

Hurricane Ivan is more than 250 miles WEST of Grenada. The storm hit that poor island head-on yesterday afternoon/evening. There is considerable damage however, so you will need to check with your travel agent/tour company/hotel to ensure that your booking is still possible, although it will take a few days before they will know what the final position is.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Press Reflections

Post by Paul Tallet »

It is still early days and too early to assess the damage caused by Ivan and the events leading up to the experience that Tobago has been subjected to.

I was on my own (a bit) when I suggested Tobago could be under threat because everybody thought that this hurricane would do what all hurricanes do ... 'go north'.

Even the NOAA thought it would go north (how could they when there was such a strong ridge of anti-cyclone to the north???) but, having tracked hurricanes for some years, I was struck by the development of Ivan at such a low latitude and consequently I had a gut feeling that this one was going to provide a few surprises ... for as long as an unyielding ridge of high pressure stayed in position to the north.

Ivan is now moving on to threaten the Dutch Antilles (another 'hurricane free zone') and the more recent reports from the NOAA are undecided as to whether Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba are the next to bear the brunt of the storm.

This just goes to show how unpredictable the weather has become in recent decades ... the NOAA can only do their best (probably with limited resources) and I feel that all the Countries of the Caribbean should be more on their guard, especially if they have rarely had hurricane experiences before.

The satellite loops available through the NOAA website proved very helpful in seeing how Ivan bobbed (against the unyielding anti-cyclone to the north) almost like a yo-yo towards Tobago and then somehow made a little arc to the north of Tobago before hitting poor Grenada head on ... it could have been alot worse for Tobago.

In hindsight I am very relieved that the initial signs are that there has been no loss of life and I hope that it is only 'a black eye' as Brian put it so eloquently.

The one issue I feel is wrong is the press coverage.

Steve mentioned earlier in the string that he was logged to Google Weather updates so that he would be emailed any updates ... I followed his example but unfortunately for the 12 hours leading up to the hurricane affecting Tobago I got nothing except rubbish about trivial weather issues around other parts of the world.

Most news reports in the UK seem to report this hurricane in relation to a 3rd possible hit on Florida which I think is despicable ... although I hear that GMT covered Grenada this morning.

Obviously local news agencies in Tobago would struggle to issue reports if their services are affected by the hurricane.

I believe that the international press services should be ashamed of themselves ... the information was there to report around the world to those with relatives in Tobago, Trinidad and, particularly, Grenada ... if naked celebrities can be found on an obscure caribbean beaches then surely they can provide the world some reasonable detail if any Tropical Island is under threat from a hurricane.
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks Paul

I'm afraid that the early reports that there was no injury or loss of life were a little premature. I've just been informed, from Tobago, that one lady died when a tree fell on her roof. First reports indicate that their is no major damage - a few roofs blew off and some trees down, but nothing major.

Another email has just come in. The phone lines from Pembroke up the Atlantic coast are down so we cannot contact anyone in Charlotteville. Both the Hilton and Rex Turtle Beach have been damaged by water.
Steve Wooler
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Paul,

Looks like I owe you a rum punch.

Fully agree about the press, things will be a lot different by the time it gets to US coast we'll have 24 hour news cover by then.

Lets hope its at least another 40 years begore the next one.

Regards
Kevin
Arianne

Post by Arianne »

I absolutely agree with you Kevin!
And mind you, the Dutch News Service has mentioned next to nothing about Ivan hitting Tobago. But now it looks like the a,b,c islands (being Dutch) are in for a possible hit, the News Service is suddenly wide awake. An unbelievable and most embarrasing situation. And I always thought that we got professional news over here!
:evil: :evil: :evil:

For the time being I'm struggling to get any information about the situation in Tobago. :roll: Surfing all over the internet...still haven't found too much....
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

That's one too many Steve, let's hope no more reports of that nature come through.

I read on the 'Carib Storm Watch' string that someone kindly supplied that they were very relaxed about it in Charlottesville ... this was just before the hurricane struck ... and that there were still boats moored in the bay.

I look forward to the Rum Punch Kevin and even more so to your company while we have a few together ... assuming the Treehouse is still standing on Castara Beach ... maybe Brian can give us an update on that one ?!?
Paul Tallet
Mark Muncaster

Post by Mark Muncaster »

Thats it. This is my last post. I'm on my way to a wind swept Tobago. Wish me luck guys and gals. :D 8)
Jane M.

Post by Jane M. »

Hi everyone, trust our usual bad timing - we are due to arrive at the Rex Turtle Beach 2 weeks from now. Obviously, hoping there is time for the weather to sort itself out. However, interested about the comment re "water damage" to Rex Turtle Beach. Does anyone have any further information please?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Jane

Welcome aboard. Obviously we will post all damage reports as we receive them. If it's not mentioned, or there is no detail, it will be because we haven't got any. All I can say is that I didn't get the impression it was serious.
Steve Wooler
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Mark ... have a great time.

Jane ... don't let a bit of water damage spoil your holiday and I am sure that you are just as anxious for the welfare of the people who actually live there ... I think it is fair to put their interests first under the circumstances.

I guess that the strip of tropical gardens between the rooms of Rex Turtle and the beach will have been affected by sea water.

The swimming pool will be full of seawater and may need re-filling and there will be debris in the grounds and along the beach.

The rooms are on 2 floors so I guess that only the ground floor rooms will be affected and it would really just be a case of mopping/drying them out.

I am sure it will all be mostly fixed apart from any vegetation that needs to recover over time.

Otherwise ... I suggest you speak to your tour operator.
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I have read that there are 3 deaths reported in Grenada.

The source was the Storm Carib site kindly referred to us by K Boone earlier in this string.
Paul Tallet
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Here are a few hotel updates. I will add/amend this list as notifications come in rather than type new posts. Any property owners reading this list who are not mentioned are requested to please let me know the situation and I'll them to the list for the benefit of all.
  • Ade's Domicil Guesthouse - no damage. business as usual.
    Adventure Eco Villas - all services back. Service as normal.
    Arnos Vale Hotel - just a few trees down, otherwise OK.
    Bellevista Apartments - minor flooding, but otherwise OK
    Bijou Des Caraibes - no problem. Business as usual.
    Blue Haven - no damage.
    Blue Mango, Castara - no damage. Same for Beach House & Mango House
    Blue Waters Inn - See separate post on next page.
    Canoe Bay Resort - no damage.
    Castara Retreats - no damage, all OK
    Coco Reef Resort - no damage, all OK
    Crown Point Beach Hotel - Not affected, but currently closed for refurbishment. Not taking bookings until November.
    Enchanted Waters Hotel - no damage, all OK
    Golden Thistle Hotel - no damage, all OK
    Golfview Apartments - no damage, all OK
    Grafton - no damage
    Hilton Tobago - a little damage to the front roof but "nothing we can't handle"
    Half Moon Blue - no damage
    Hummingbird Heights - no damage, business as usual.
    Inn On The Bay - no structural damage, but no electricty currently
    Johnston Apartments - no damage, all OK
    Kariwak Village - everything OK
    Le Grand Courlan - no damage
    Man O' War Bay Cottages - no damage, but no power, phones (land or cell) currently
    Naturalist Beach Resort - no damage, OK
    Ocean Point - no damage, OK
    Palms Villa Resort - no damage, OK
    Plantation Beach Villas - no damage but power of until Friday 9th
    Polo Bar - Remained open throughout, cooking by gas, eating by candlelight.
    Rex Turtle Beach - no damage
    Sanctuary Villas - some lost trees but no serious damage. Partially power failure on some of the estate currently.
    Sandcastles - no damage, all OK
    Sandy Point Beach Club - a few uprooted trees and minor roof damage, but business as usual.
    Sandy Point Village - a few leaks but OK
    Seahorse Inn - no damage, business as usual.
    Sherwood Park Apartments - no damage whatsoever.
    Stonehaven Villas - no damage, all OK
    Sunset Valley Estate - no damage. Business as usual.
    Tobago Beach Villas - no damage, all OK
    Top River Pearl - no damage, all OK
    Toucan Inn - no damage, OK
    Tropikist - OK
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:18 am, edited 27 times in total.
Steve Wooler
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Jane M

Just an update for you re the Rex Turtle Beach. The contact who told us that there was some water damage at the RTB has just clarified things by saying "When we spoke to RTB this morning, they said everything was fine, just a bit of water coming from the little river next to the hotel".

I've also heard from the Rex Group in London who assure me that there's no damage and it's fully "business as usual". So get packing - by the time you get there you probably won't even notice that there's been a hurricane.
Steve Wooler
Geoff M

Nightmare...

Post by Geoff M »

Just read through this and am seriously worried. Supposed to be flying out on Saturday and staying at BWI. Steve - I note there is still no contact from them.

Look forward to your updates.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

HURRICANE DAMAGE UPDATE

I am constantly updating the above accommodation list as information comes in.

Charlotteville and Speyside seem to have been the worst hit. The telephone and power lines are dead so communication is difficult. Locals are having to rely upon word-of-mouth reports because the local radio stations, Radio Tambrin and TRICO are both off-air.

I also understand that the road to Bloody Bay is now inaccessible.

Relief supplies have started arriving from Trinidad, together with army personnel to assist.

The airport opened this morning and flights have been going all day.

Hopefully the tragic loss of one life – a pregnant lady in Bethel – is the only casualty. Even one loss is too much, but we must be thankful that Tobago only got off with a bloody nose, particularly compared to Grenada.
Steve Wooler
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi All,
Just got some good news back from Alice at Aquamarine at BWI

"The hotel was evacuated the day before. All is well, no major damage, few fallen trees and branches. the jetty got some damage. Other than that
everyone is well"

So looks like your holiday is still on Geoff and it sounds as if the bar will be open.

Really glad everone is OK

Regards
Kevin

Return to “Weather”