Hurricane ?

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Al

Welcome aboard!

If you haven't been to Tobago before, then I can confidently say that you will not even realise that the island got smacked. Thank heavens for small mercies, but Tobago received nothing but a bloody nose.

Yes, there are a few trees down which give the game away, but NO 'proper' buildings on Tobago suffered more than minor superficial damage.

From a holidaymakers point of view it is absolutely BUSINESS AS USUAL and I almost defy them to point out any effects of the hurricane.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Paul,

How about "Liquid Sunshine" as a name for your new weather string?

We came across this weather description in Tobago 2 years ago. Sitting on the beach near the Grafton Beach hotel one day, it suddenly started to rain - as it can. We moved under one of the beach umbrellas with all our bit and pieces to sit it out. While we were there, one of the beach vendors that we knew walked past, and asked "What you doing there man?" We replied that we were sheltering from the rain. He laughed at us and said, "Hey man - dis not rain, dis liquid sunshine." Enough said!!

Keep up the reports - it gives us something to look forward to. Only 24 weeks to our holiday - and counting!

Jane
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I'm afraid Paul is off-line at the moment, fighting a virus infection or something on his computer. Poor guy is going frantic trying to get his new thread going and yet can't connect to the Internet.

Anway, I think that comment is just SO Tobagonian. I can just visualise the beach vendor's face as they said it.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Jane / Steve

Steve ... I have won the war against the rotten viruses so should be live in a matter of an hour (and a bit).

Jane ... that is a cracking name ... I was about to do something really anal and call it the 'Tallet Tobago Weather Almanac' or the same without the 'Tallet' bit.

Give me a mo and 'I will be back' !!!

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi everyone

Please refer to the new LIQUID SUNSHINE for regular weekly weather updates.

Thank you Jane for your inspirational idea on the name.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Roel le Pair
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Roel le Pair »

Hi Paul,
Liquid Sunshine is a great name, the best! We appreciate your permanent activity very much! I'm sure Tobago visitors will have an extra reason to investigate this forum not only immediate before their deparure but also earlier, to understand better the general patterns and chances, etcetera.
Indeed let's hope from time to time you'll get feedback on your performance!
:) Anyway we all know that predicting is difficult, especially when the future is concerned ! ! :lol:
Roel le Pair
Sherwood Park Apartments
www.sherwood-park.com

My photos: http://gallery.mac.com/roellepair
Kate H

Post by Kate H »

Somewhere back in this thread I wondered if you had missed your calling. Now I'm pretty sure you found it.

Cheers to our new Tobago weatherman!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thank you Kate / Roel

It's been quite a frantic day because my PC somehow managed to let in 30+ viruses ... goodness knows where they came from.

So the new string was a bit rushed having sorted the viruses, coupled with the fact that I am entertaining guests this weekend.

Somehow I wonder if this hurricane string will ever end ... it's been a fantastic experience for me and I am so pleased that everyone has either benefited or just simply enjoyed reading it.

I promise that I will do all I can to continue providing this service for as long as possible ...

... but ... the key for making this successful is the feedback and ... of particular value, would be feedback from people living and experiencing the ongoing conditions in Tobago which would add considerable depth to my updates.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Sue-S

weather

Post by Sue-S »

Liquid Gold, what a great name Paul, carry on forecasting, only 39 days to go until we arrive in Tobago. :D , Best wishes Sue.
Kate H

Post by Kate H »

It's been quite a frantic day because my PC somehow managed to let in 30+ viruses ... goodness knows where they came from
Yep, same problem here. Script-kiddies, adware, malware, trojans and whatever. Really disrupts all the simple things you want to get done on your computer that used to be so simple..... AARRRGGGG!!!!

If it's worth anything, I'll post a reply when I get back from Tobago in December....

*evil grin*

cheers,
Kate
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Still is simple on a mac ;-)

Virus? Trojan? Adware? none seen in 6 years of Apple bliss.

</plugover>
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

For those following this string, of which there seem to be many, I believe it would be appropriate to show the following article from the Tobago News (14.11.2004) ...

The Tobago House of Assembly (THA) has received the $15 million it requested from the Central Government for relief following Hurricane Ivan, which struck Tobago on September 7.

The money is being used to construct a new bridge at Englishman's Bay on the Northside Road, repairs to houses whose roofs were blown off, agriculture losses, replanting of forest trees and replacing and or repairing boats.

Infrastructure and Public Utilities Secretary Hilton Sandy told the Tobago News that work on the new bridge was scheduled to begin this week and appealed to motorists to exercise caution while approaching the site.
Chief Secretary Orville London said Ivan had initially damaged the bridge.
He said the Executive Council on Thursday approved a Note from the Division of Agriculture for the employment of between 60 and 70 people to carry out the exercise over three months.

He said following this the exercise would be incorporated in the general reforestation programme which was going to be introduced in the island.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Grenada probably won't be impressed but it seems that Tobago Tourism has benefitted from the effects of Hurricane Ivan.

Visits from Cruise Ships have increased 100% in Tobago as they have been diverted from Grenada.

In all fairness, I hope some of this business returns to Grenada when it get back on it's feet again.

More about this in the link below ...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl ... d=48002776

Regards
Paul Tallet
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

I'm sure that tourists will return to Grenada once the devastating effects of Ivan the Terrible have been overcome.

Like many, we were due to go to Grenada for our first ever visit in April 2005. The hotel we were going to stay in has been more or less wiped out - the projected reopening date is now October 2005. We were fortunate in that our tour operator, Travel Collection/Kuoni, was able to offer a wide range of alternatives, and it was really no hardship to decide to revisit Tobago after a wonderful holiday 3 years ago.

However, we are also determined to visit Grenada as soon as we can (2006?) since we still really want to see the island, and this is a positive way helping their economy. I'm sure we are not alone in this, and that Grenada will see it's tourist industry picking up quickly once things are more or less back to normal.

Jane
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I was (sort of) pleased to see this report from the Tobago News on the last day of 2004.

Farmers, fishermen get compensation $$
Friday, December 31st 2004

Compensation cheques to most of the farmers and fishermen who suffered damages from Hurricane Ivan, which hit Tobago on September 7 have received their cheques.

Up to last week Wednesday cheques were paid to farmers and fishermen in seven of the eight Agricultural Districts in the island. Those in the Mt St George District will be advised as soon as their cheques were ready. Recipients are advised to take along some form of identification with them to collect their cheques at the office of the Technical Officer at Botanic Station between 9 a.m. and noon.

Approximately 339 farmers and fishermen, whether registered or not would share in the $2.7 million that was allocated from the $15 million it received from the Central Government for hurricane damage.

Assuming the article is quoting TT$ I guess each will receive TT$7,964 ... just short of £800 each (UK values).

I do wonder if this is enough to replace a boat or lost crops ... nevertheless, it is better than a kick in the teeth I suppose.

At least 2004 ends on a high note for the individuals concerned and I hope that 2005 gives them every opportunity of sustaining the restoration of their businesses.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

For those interested in the Grenada cause, I found this website which shows photographs of the renovation underway following the devastation that Hurricane Ivan left behind.

http://triniview.com/album/grenada

Hope the link is of interest.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Please go to ...

http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopi ... 1721#11721

... for an assessment of the hurricane and the real weather event of 2004.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

This is a reflective post.

The last post I made to this thread was actually in January 2005, almost 9 months ago.

I made another post in April, having visited Tobago in March, simply to try and divert attention to the real weather event of 2004 when it rained like hell and caused all the damage that I had seen during my visit.

Hurricane Ivan was scary when he came but, in hindsight, was not the main weather event of 2004, coupled with the fact that there have been 2 more close calls since.

But what I find interesting is that this thread is still generating interest on almost the same scale of the new Hurricane 2005 thread.

So, this evening, I have read the whole thing through for the first time in nearly a year and found it quite funny (and a bit scary at times).

This reading experience took about 45 minutes and when I finished I was then stunned to notice that another 52 people had read this thread while I was reading it !! :shock:

I know we are all obsessed with weather ... this thread has now been read about 14,750 times ...

To me this is lunacy of significant proportions.

From a pure commercial perspective ... perhaps I may suggest that this popular thread is blocked and then made available to those who take part in the myTobago Competition ?

If every read cost just 10 pence it would have raised £1,475 towards the cost of running myTobago.

Terms could be negotiable of course :D

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Hurricane ?

Post by Paul Tallet »

bttt

Regards
Paul Tallet