Weather - Rain!!!

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Tim W

Weather - Rain!!!

Post by Tim W »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 08 February 2003

Hi Steve,

5 days to go and I am counting the hours! BBC's online 5 day weather forecast is showing rain today and Wednesday- surely this is an unpleasant rumour put about by visitors having such a good time, that they want to put people off? The object being to keep the island to themselves?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Weather - Rain!!!

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 09 February 2003

That’s right, Tim – I arranged for the weather forecasts to be given out this week so that we could have the island to ourselves. Fear not, you will not be disappointed. Yes, we have had rain during the three weeks we’ve been here, but have never even needed to seek shelter. Most of the rain falls at night and you wake up to wonderful fresh smells. The weather has been absolutely wonderful – at the moment it’s so warm that a few clouds would almost be a welcome relief.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Wooler

Weather - Rain!!!

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 09 February 2003

Hi again Tim. Just a quick postscript to my earlier reply on this thread. I've just come back, at the end of another wonderful sunny day (hope I'm getting you going) and having spent the last two hours at the Arnos Vale Hotel. We went down for tea and to watch the birds feeding. I shall do a proper review during the week, but first impressions were that the place was looking better than on my last visit a year ago. Yes, it could do with a lick of paint in places, but it's almost in keeping with the old plantation-style furniture. Shabby chic, as my father called it. By the way, you're right about the cost of beer - TT$16 at the beach bar (getting on for £2). You'll just have to walk up the hill and sample my stock - I bought 3 cases of 2-dozen on Saturday and the way my party is getting through it, we'll have to replace that mid-week. We're only a 10-minute walk from the Arnos Vale and there'll be plenty on ice, so we'd be delighted to see you on Friday evening - come and watch sunset. Best that you ring Friday morning just to double-check. Email me at [email protected] and I'll give you my phone number and more details of how to find us.
Steve Wooler
Katie

Post by Katie »

it doesn't matter if it rains because the rain is warm you can still walk around in shorts and t-shirt . i went snorkeling in a thunderstorm, and it was the best snorkeling i've ever done as sea creatures come to shor for sheltere.g stingrays and turtles which i saw on that trip.
HelenH

weather-rain!!!

Post by HelenH »

I have just looked on a wether site and it seems to forecast alot of rain for the first part of our holiday( going on sat). Do we need to take waterproofs- they can be quite sticky in the heat?
Helen
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Helen

Fear not. Most of that rain falls at night or in the very early hours of the morning. That's why Tobago remains so green and lush. It can be worth packing a small collapsible umbrella, but certainly not waterproofs, etc. I can only say that I NEVER pack anything for the rain. It's warm and it seldom last long - particularly at this time of year.

Have a great trip and let us know how you get on.
Steve Wooler
R Houle

Post by R Houle »

We spent 3 weeks in Tobago in March 2004. We had one night when it rained a few hours, then we had 3 -4 showers (lasting 5 - 10 minutes). The rain is hard, quite a downpour. No you do not need to bring any specific rainclothes/boots. It is so warm that the rain is a brief change from the heat, although it feels somewhat more humid after a shower. Enjoy!!!!
R Houle
J. Tomasulo

Post by J. Tomasulo »

Hi,

I just returned from a 36 day visit and I hope this helps you. It rained TWICE while I was there. The first time for 5 minutes and the second was a light rain that lasted for about 2 minutes.

I will say that my girlfriend is still there and she told me that it rained all day yesterday or the day before I can't remember. It was a down pour like she's never seen before. All the locals were shocked to see it. Mind you, they need the rain.

So, in a nutshell I wouldn't spend time worrying about rain. It's not worth it. One more piece of advice. The sun is different in Tobago. It's hot as hell down there. You will burn even with 40 proof sunscreen. I would take things slowly when you go down. Bring a hat that has a peek all the way around. That's what saved me and I have dark skin to begin with. My sister came down ( fair skin who has never burnt in her life) for five days and burnt to a crisp.

Good luck and I hope your flight goes well,

Justin

Return to “Weather”