LIQUID SUNSHINE - Feedback

Weather reports, questions and comment.
BridgetLunniss
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Re: LIQUID SUNSHINE - Feedback

Post by BridgetLunniss »

Thank you for all your reports/forecasts, I read them every week.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Always a pleasure Bridget and thank you.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Sunday, glorious day of sunshine; perfect for a day on the beach at C'ville. Today, rain, rain, heavy at times, appeared to be all over...at least where we were (Studley Park, Scarborough, Carnbee). Rainy seasoning not yet ready to quit; at least it's not ice & snow!
Cheers, Carol
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Just a mini update.

Expect some rather heavy seas over the next couple of days.

Large swells are coming from the north/north east due to the churning of the seas under a depression north east of the Caribbean.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

An update to Liquid Sunshine last Saturday ...

The general cloudiness and occasional rain continues but there are some breaks in it here and there so some could be having cloud and rain and others a few miles away could be having sunshine.

The risk remains high for cloudiness for the week so make the most of it when the sun comes out.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Paul

I hope that your update for the coming week (14th March) is right and that "the ahead looks good".

We've been here nearly 4 weeks and we haven't had a single fully dry day yet and only a handful of what might be described as fully sunny days. I can honestly say I've never known a dry season like it; this is what I would normally expect in the wet season. Today has been hot, but overall it has been surprisingly cold. Up in Parlatuvier and Castara, we were putting blankets over the top sheet - and I'm not talking about in air-conditioned rooms.

Really unusual weather patterns and I feel so sorry for the poor holidaymakers who have had very rainy cloudy overcast holidays. :(
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
SallyMevans
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SallyMevans »

Hi Steve
We've been in Black Rock for a week and have only seen a few clouds and one shower of rain. It's hard to believe we're on the same island!! Heading to Charlotteville tomorrow, so maybe we will bring the good weather with us!
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Steve,
We've been in Tobago since 27 Feb, mostly staying in the south and only had two rainy days right at the start of our vacation. It's been pretty much all right ever since apart from some windy days..As Sally says it is indeed hard to believe we are on the same island... :shock:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Sally (and Robert)

For the past week I've been just over half a mile from you, near Pleasant Prospect. I am looking out from my balcony at Black Rock. So, my apologies because I seem to have brought the bad weather down from Castara and Parlatuvier. Today is another day that Jill has been rained off Grafton beach. Its not raining now, but very cloudy and threatening. :) :)

Actually, the poor weather I have experienced is good for me. We're writing reviews and at least the photographs will be all green and lush. Normally by March, we're having to deal with unattractive parched grass and even bush fires. Not this year! :lol:
Steve Wooler
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hmmm ... from my little office in space the weather has looked good and still looks good, although there is a little risk of some rain pushing up from the south. I mentioned a little battle going on between low and high pressure in last Saturday's Liquid Sunshine.

One of the problems for Tobago is what I call the 'cloud bar'. A Cloud Bar? :shock: Yes, I wrote about this some years ago.

This is an elongated area of cloud that can hang persistently over the mid to west part of Tobago ... it is common in the 'dry' season and particularly when trade winds are strong.

It's cause is likely to be the drier air rising over the hilly eastern area of Tobago and the rainforest and picking up moisture as it passes over.

This may cause some isolated showers in areas like Castara but normally, and because of the dry air, it just picks up enough moisture to form clouds.

Trades also wrap around the south and north sides of Tobago picking up nothing and you are left with this elongated area of cloud over an area from between Scarborough and Plymouth and extending west out to sea a couple of miles off Pigeon Point ... :? confused?, Well you could describe it as the rain-forest's 'slip-stream'.

This 'cloud bar' can be particularly persistent during the afternoons and can spoil things for the sunbathers and photographers from Pigeon Point and up the Caribbean side as far as Grafton Beach. You could travel a mile and find yourself back in the sunshine (i.e.; it can be cloudy over Pigeon Point and sunny over Mt Irvine) and the cloud, when formed, hardly moves.

Time-lapse video of the cloud would be a very effective way of demonstrating this :mrgreen: . Seriously!!

I have seen this frequently during the 'dry season' but never during the 'wet season'.

Cloud Bars are quite common events around hilly and/or heavily forested areas and a more extreme example can be the one that forms over Table Mountain in South Africa.

Being one of a few Caribbean Islands with a dense Rain-Forest, Tobago is to some extent responsible for some of it's own localised weather.

I hope this helps (and if you ask me to do a time-lapse video of this boring cloud ... the answer is 'and what do you do on your holidays?') :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
SallyMevans
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SallyMevans »

Hi Steve
Sorry to hear you are attached to a "cloud bar"!! We arrived in Charlottesville yesterday and if was lovely and sunny at Kings Bay and Richmond Great House. Another lovely day (so far)to explore Pirates Bay.
(Happy to be in Tobago with perfect weather,unlike our devastated island of Vanuatu.)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

RAIN

Following up on Liquid Sunshine this weekend ...

Expect heavy rain lasting overnight and tomorrow.

Based on the feedback I have seen regarding the last rainfall earlier last week there is a risk of flooding, particularly in Trinidad but also, in Tobago.

The rain is associated with a 'strong' Tropical Wave that I predicted in the previous week's Liquid Sunshine so there could be some squally conditions as the Wave passes over Tobago. Most of the rainfall is ahead of the Wave and I estimate that the Wave will pass over Tobago around midday Monday ...give or take an hour or 2.

Rainfall should ease overnight Monday. Tuesday should have less rainfall before another Tropical Wave moves in by Wednesday.

So, unfortunately, not a good week ahead for outdoor activities and caution would be advised for those venturing out on boat or rainforest trips tomorrow (Monday).

Regards
Paul Tallet
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Paul,
Lots of rain today ...started about 5 am and ongoing...seems to stop. but not sure that's it for the rest of the evening.
This was welcome rain as there has been no more then a few moments of rain since we arrived 25 Jan. Terribly needed, bone dry everywhere.....plants dying off, brown all around. Is this the year it will rain for Carnival?? Lots of discussing about reports of an extreme dry season...little being done to stop leaks, conservation (wash the car everyday!); some are doing their part and feel why bother..SAD.
On a good note it's wonderfully warm!.
Cheers, Carol
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello Carol

Thank you for the info. The unsettled weather to the north of the Caribbean, that I mentioned last week, was the cause sending a trough of rain and cloud southwards ... it's quite rare to see a depression in the Caribbean at this time of year.

This is the only impact on Tobago ... the northern Caribbean has had very unseasonal and rainy weather all week.

It should improve today ... I will post on Liquid Sunshine tomorrow.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Paul,
Finally some rain...must have been the forecast (T&T metro website) of" light rain in hilly areas" ..I truly did not make up that comment. Has been raining most of the day since 9:00 am in Studley Park area...again welcome rain, last rain more than a mist 3 weeks or so. Spoke to a friend who lives in Black Rock...not a drop there, send wet weather down, please
Amazing how a small island could have such different weather! But probably the real reason for the rain...Steve & Jill arrived :D ..thankyou!
Cheers, Carol
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi All

Yes, same here in Castara, Carol. It's been overcast all day, with intermittent light showers all morning and much heavier rainfall this afternoon. In fairness we are not complaining - the ground everyone is remarkably parched and so the verges, hillside and gardens could do with some watering. We moved up to Castara yesterday afternoon and it clouded over as soon as we got to Mason Hall and Moriah and started the descent.

We were in Bacolet all last week and the weather really couldn't have been better - classic 'Caribbean'. Everyone was saying how it was, so we were quite surprised that we weren't 'feeling it' more than we did, being our first week out this year. Water rationing is in force in the Scarborough, but not here in Castara. We had 4 12-hour water cuts last week but as these were overnight, it didn't really inconvenience us. Seems pointless cutting it off overnight, but given the state of the water system here, it probably stops all the millions of gallons that probably get wasted due to leaking water mains.
Steve Wooler
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thought I should draw some attention to the 2016 Hurricane Season posts ... there is currently a low risk of a Storm or Hurricane affecting the Caribbean early to middle of next week.

The risk is likely to increase and it is too early to know where this risk will strike.

Keep an eye on the 2016 Hurricane Season posts if you are planning a holiday to the Caribbean over the next week ... this includes Tobago, albeit always a smaller risk.

REgards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

STORM WARNING THIS WEEK

I want to draw attention to potential Storm conditions arriving by Wednesday this week.

Please see the 2016 Hurricane Posts for updates and I will also be covering this in tomorrow's weekly Liquid Sunshine Weather Update.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

HEADS UP ... STORM ON THE WAY

Please refer to the latest Liquid Sunshine and 2017 Hurricane Forums for details of potential Tropical Storm conditions over the next 48 hours.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

HURRICANE OPHELIA AND THE UK

In case no one has noticed, I am posting updates of Hurricane Ophelia's approach to the British Isles in the 2017 Hurricane Season Forum.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “Weather”