LIQUID SUNSHINE - Feedback

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

LIQUID SUNSHINE - Feedback

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi everyone

I have been receiving some extremely valuable feedback from members experiencing the weather while they are in Tobago.

I cannot stress enough how important it is for me to receive feedback from those 'under the clouds' ... I am stuck in the UK and rely on sat loops when there is some serious weather business going on.

I need feedback to really get the 'feel' of what is going on during weather events and over time I will improve my interpretation of what I see from my lofty position up in the stars.

I am conscious that nobody can respond to my weather updates in the LIQUID SUNSHINE spot and so I think it would make sense to start this thread for your feedback.

By all means, keep sending the private messages if you prefer, but I am not scared of public criticism when I get it wrong or public acclaim when I get it right.

Please help me to help you.

Also, please feel free to make general enquiries here ... this thread should stay just below the LIQUID SUNSHINE announcement if it is used regularly and will therefore be easy for new members to access.

Look forward to chatting.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Mike B

Early Jan Weather

Post by Mike B »

We have just returned. The weather on Tobago was more like liquid cloud than sunshine and, having been to Tobago at this time before, was a bit disappointing, especially as the seas were rough even in Castara. Snorkelling was out of the question.
We had avoided looking at your weather forecast as we suspected that things were not good and as we were there, we would make the best of it.
As you know, staying at the Naturalist is a delight at the worst of times.
Mike B
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the feedback.

It has been strangely cloudy there recently and the weather, apart from a brief couple of weeks before Christmas, has been rather unseasonal.

It's back to some heavy rain this week.

I am looking forward to doing some more positive forecasts.

But as you say, at least you were at the Naturalist and I am sure Ancle looked after you well.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Neil Roberts
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

The Guvnor cometh....

Post by Neil Roberts »

Now look Paul, if Steve gets over to Tobago and finds that the weather is lousy, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when he gets back! I think it's time you pulled your finger out and organised a bit of decent stuff for Sir and Memsahib. Yours confidentially, Neil Roberts.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

You read my mind, Neil. We've already bought the Paul Tallet doll and a big box of pins.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Steve ... let's be practical.

Make sure there is plenty of room for the wellies and burburries :twisted: .

Make sure you are prepared ... 8 weeks is a long time !!

Cheers
Paul Tallet
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Well, with all the make-up (Jill), insect repellents, sun oil and general medications there's hardly room for a book, so there's no chance of wet weather gear. Anyway, it warm and 20 minutes later you can't even tell it's rained, so we'll just keep a stiff upper lip.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Hi Paul,

Just back from 2 weeks stay, and I have to confess the worst weather that we've ever experienced in Tobago in four visits at this time of year - but we still had a great time, as we have many friends there now.
I don't know if you already heard this Paul, but on the local news on Friday, they announced some new landslides in Speyside and Castara. :( We drove around the island (on Tuesday I think), in a deluge of rain, and Delaford really bought it all home to us. In hindsight, seeing the state of the roads and the constant new slides, I think that you have to be careful about an-necessary travelling on these roads unless you need to. At places the roads are only wide enough for a single vehicle, and are undercut by landslide. I've taken some AVI video footage of the road that climbs up in the rainforest from Parlatuvier beach, and it is just a river of brown water as far as you can see, with standing waves every 3-4 metres. Very unusual weather for this time of year, the locals are equally astonished and now even concerned about the prospect of a wet carnival.

Steve, Claire and Jack Fifield :?
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thanks for the feedback Steve.

There certainly appeared to be alot of rain last Friday (I mentioned it in my weekly update).

It has been a strange period which goes back to last spring when the UK Cricket tour took place ... it bucketed it down then and disrupted the matches ... it was the dry season then and the first notable rainfall event of 2004.

The trend has continued through the rainy season with 2 more events, Hurricane Ivan and the November deluge that was probably more destructive than the hurricane.

Tobago is under the influence of the tropical convergence zone which is basically a band of 'humidity' that stretches all around the equator. From November to June this area is generally south of the equator and from July to October it is north of the equator.

This area is currently north of the equator in the Caribbean area and would explain why Tobago is experiencing longer and heavier periods of rain instead of the typical short sharp showers.

You could say that Tobago has had 3 rainy seasons and consequently the island cannot cope with the rainfall.

This also applies to many other areas of the Caribbean, such as the Dutch Antilles.

The tropical convergence zone does go away but it keeps coming back ... I hope it goes away soon.

Regards
Paul Tallet
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Tday is the EIGHTEENTH consecutive day of rain!SACK THE WEATHER FORECASTER!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Oh for goodness sake Dear Boy ... you are out there for 10 weeks and you are complaining about 18 days of intermittent rain?

Thoughts be with those that have only 1 or 2 weeks there not to mention those of us in the windswept UK ... plus especially 'moi' giving these gruesome reports all the time.

Go (and proverbially) find yourself a hammock on which to rest your pretty flesh ... it should be nice and sunny tomorrow and then you can smile :D

Cheers ... and have a nice Rum Punch while you are at it !!! :P
Paul Tallet
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Well said Paul.

David can look forward to many weeks of good weather I'm sure.

Regarding the last 18 days though, I think that you should have used the expression "intermittent sun". :wink: The sun was visible for a total of about 24 hours over the 14 days that we were there. The rest of the time it was either totally overcast and warm, or pouring down and warm. On one night we had to use a thin blanket, as the temperature dropped to about 22 degrees! It was most exceptional, and I expect (and hope) that it will not happen again for years.

Steve F.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

OK ... Steve you are absolutely right ... I correct that. :lol:

Intermittent sun, cloud, rain, floods, mudslides, kitchen sink and the spatulas ... you name it, they have had it !!

So has the US actually ... they have had a bad time.

Tobago managed to escape any significant snowfall ... that's the main thing !! :roll:

Having said that, as the first flakes of snow start to drift down over the Tallet's residence ... I would swap places (and the blanket) for anyone that felt chilly in 22 degrees C !! :wink:

Wouldn't we all like to be there ... rain or shine? :P

It's looking sunny now and I predict sun tomorrow ... so enjoy it while you can chaps !!!

Regards
Paul Tallet
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Paul,

There are some odd things going on. Did I tell you that many of the Parrots have left the Rainforest to travel around the islands? Even saw flocks of them in Carnbee! See, they are flying south for the winter - must be the weather. :wink:

Steve.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Cor .... or should I say 'Caw'. :wink:
Paul Tallet
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

More like "Who's a pretty boy!" or "Pieces of eight!" if it's parrots on the move!

Jane
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Could it be a sign of good luck Jane?

There are many farmers in Tobago that would be happy to see the Parrots go.

Cheers
Paul Tallet
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Paul.It is Raining again!,but we did have a good morning and it is brightening up.It's about 30C at the moment,and yes I do have a tan-or could it be rust?! The sun is over the yard arm and I hear a bottle calling.
Cheers for now!! :lol: :lol:
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

PAUL, are yo ever sleeping? posting weather at 1 a.m. and promising update in two hours? what are you? a vampire? :twisted:

no rain so far, still the clouds we have all day in castara and A SUNSET! great, isn't it?!
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Brian

When in Tobago ... I sleep.

When in UK ... no sleep!!

I guess you would be up with wide eyes if you knew how close the storm is to the south and the east.

It is quite intense ... the risk seems to be reducing as the storm weakens a little.

I hope it all falls over the sea.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “Weather”