LIQUID SUNSHINE - Feedback

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: LIQUID SUNSHINE - Feedback

Post by Paul Tallet »

Sure Andy.

I am at the Naturalist in Castara ... I could meet you at Bagos Bar on one of my trips there or let me know where you are and when and I am sure we can hook up.

My phone is switched off so you could ring Ancle at the Naturalist ... he makes a good secretary !!

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Paul,

i am based at Summer Hill, Plymouth Road, Scarborough.
You can call me @ 689-3611.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Just called Naturalist @ 639-5901 ... "Hello. Please leave a message after the tone <beep>"
Will try again, or you better call me please. :)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Last night was filled with thunder sounding like cannons being fired from the north and spectacular lightening all captured on film by my good self of course. The rain was torrential all night as a small depression that was aiming at Barbados decided to drop south and play off just to the north of Tobago's Caribbean coast.

And then a highly charged meeting with Andy K ... it was a pleasure that we could finally hook up Andy and hope to see you again.

A good 24 hours :)

Regards
Paul Tallet
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

My pleasure, Paul !
I hope you and your family will continue to have a great vacation.

What are you talking about "highly charged" ?? :-" :-$ :mrgreen:
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

It was as exciting as the Storms to meet you Andy.

Rain this weekend !

Regards
Paul Tallet
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Fair enough :D

I am going to Trinidad tomorrow on the ferry, so lets hope for reasonable sea conditions.

Cheers
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hope you got across safely Andy.

The rain started falling at sunset Friday evening and we spent most of the evening watching a procession of distant thunderstorms lighting up the sky to the north.

Power was lost a few times and the Internet went down.

Rain continued sporadically on Saturday but conditions improved and there was a little sunshine in the afternoon.

It seems more rain fell over Trinidad and Grenada northwards.

This morning is beautiful with sunshine and a steady breeze ... no signs of anymore Tropical Waves until later this week and whatever comes looks like a weak affair.

Overall I would rate this June/July weather as better than any weather I have experienced in the dry season.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

CHRISTMAS STORMS

The thunderstorm and spectacular lightening display I was admiring in the early hours of Christmas Day killed 8 people in St Vincent and the Grenadines ... 5 more are missing.

It is not so far away and yet the super-cell thunderstorm seemed to be all around Tobago. Barely one drop of rain fell in Castara although I expect some rain will have fallen near Crown Point.

It just goes to show how different the weather can be in short distances.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

HI Paul,
Good to hear you made it down. The light show and thunder early Christmas Day was something else. We were rocketed out of our bed at 5:00, a close lightning strike, our clock radio went weird started playing music to a half tuned station!
You have sunshine in Castara?? our beach trip is still on hold...apparently we are in wet zone. Rain (heavy at times) started the afternoon of 24th..it was beautiful down by Black Rock earlier (visiting friends) and kept on the 25th; dull and overcast today. Have read the bad news on other islands....not good. Hope the usual landslide into Castara is not happening. Send news of sunshine...somewhere in Tobago
Cheers, Carol
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Carol

Little sunshine in Castara ... little rain either. Just cloud.

I am losing faith in some of the satloops ... they do not seem to be overlaying the radar correctly on the geography. From my view the radar is about 20 miles to the west of where the actual rain is ... if the radar is to be believed then it should have been raining here all of yesterday and today and, apart from a short shower last night, there has been no rain in Castara.

Anyway, this humid, cloudy weather with scattered thunderstorms is pluming off the South American coast. The Atlantic High is situated more to the east which reduces the power of the trades and allows low pressure to build and suck the rubbish up from the south.

Another High is building in the north Caribbean and hopefully this will allow more sunshine and push the rain clouds back over the rainforests of Venezuela where they belong.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

had a refreshing drizzle day yesterday... could really do with some more rain...
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Paul,
Read your weather report each week with the hope that rainy season may truly happen..... WASA is now unable to pump on a daily basis. Even providing 1,000 gal (free...is that not unusual!) one a week to households in areas with little water. Not sure how hotels and guest houses are coping! Crown Point is one of the areas hit with rationing, not sure what is happening in Castara or C'Ville. Thinking we are seeing the reality of climate change, extreme dry periods and then lots and lots of rain. Last heard, T&T weather office has predicted heavy rains for end of the year period.
Not so Cheers, Carol
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Hi Carol and Paul,

Plenty of rain (fantastic storm night before last) in the three days we have been here. I didn't know the water problem had gotten so bad. Trees and grasses are greening up nicely since my last visit for Easter.

Off to check my water tank right now!

Thanks, Hugh 8)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Hugh ... hope you are keeping well.

I was in Tobago this time last year and the weather was brilliant for 4 weeks with just the occasional thunderstorm.

This year is a different story as a wave brings rains to Trinidad & Tobago right now and for the next 24 hours at least.

Travellers to and from the UK and Northern Europe to Tobago later this week may be in for a shock later this week, particularly Saturday, as a Spanish Plume shoots north bringing severe thunderstorms and possible super-cell thunderstorms ... hit and miss, but where it happens you will become acutely aware of it and experience delays and/or a bumpy flight.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Hi Paul,

Bright and sunny with one brief shower today (not worth taking my clothes off the line), humid with gentle breezes.

Wondering if the Spanish Plume will hit Tobago or just air travelers en route?

Thanks, Hugh 8)
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Good rain last night, not too much but very humid now. Skies clouding up, looks like more on the way.

Hugh 8)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Hugh

I think that the radar is not accurately overlaying the images on the map ... I noticed this last Christmas Day when there was a spectacular distant thunderstorm to the west of Tobago but the sat-loops showed it right over Tobago. Lives were lost in the Grenadines which is where it actually was.

The Spanish Plume starts over Africa and there is a very strong airflow tracking up through Spain and into France where the temperatures are now about 37/38 degrees centigrade ... that's when things go BANG !!

Mostly on Friday in France but Saturday is the UK's turn ... and so with the Camcorder fully charged, I will be ready and waiting for some spectacular weather.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Rain began late last night and is still coming (8 am local). Nothing but gray skies in sight - might be an all day affair.

I love this weather!

Hugh 8)
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

As long as the ground gets a good wetting then any downpour has less effect on the land! All my good soil if for ever ending up in the garden below............and he lives on Trinidad! I have terraced the hillside around the hose but when we get over 6" in a morning....! The runoff affects the visibility in the bay ( Castara )for snorkeling.
It does only last a short time though and then the sun comes out and all is well again in Paradise!.

Return to “Weather”