Weather reports, questions and comment.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: LIQUID SUNSHINE

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER … 26TH MAY 2019
HEAVY SHOWERS WHERE AND WHEN THEY HAPPEN

The weather is very mobile this week.

Low pressure is positioned over Columbia and is responsible for the very thundery weather across the Caribbean Sea and partially responsible for feeding the high levels of warm energy moving northwards and into the central US. The central US has been having significantly extreme weather conditions over the last week or so as a result of this warm Caribbean influence.

The Columbia Low is also responsible for sending heavy showers across the southern Caribbean and to the east. Last week brought several heavy rain periods to Tobago.

This week there are 2 Tropical Waves on the way and I believe these Tropical Waves could enhance the rainfall over Tobago with the first one arriving tomorrow / Tuesday and the 2nd Wave arriving late in the week.

The upper airflow is moving from the south west to east and this could have a shearing effect on the Tropical Waves, however when one energy form meets another it can increase the rain intensity in some areas.

Next Saturday, 1st June, is the official start of this year's Wet / Hurricane season and we have already seen a short-lived Tropical Storm Andrea off the eastern coast of Florida and near Bermuda.

I have already started the 2019 Hurricane Forum so check that forum out for the latest information and speculation.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER … 2ND JUNE 2019
MORE RAIN THIS WEEK

2 Tropical Waves are on the way and the upper airflow is carrying a lot of moisture north east from South America's rain forests.

Although the rainfall is sporadic, it is quite heavy where it falls and the Tropical Waves will enhance moisture levels across most of the south and east Caribbean.

There will be sunshine but rainfall, when it happens, will be prolonged and heavy.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER … 9TH JUNE 2019
4 TROPICAL WAVES THIS WEEK

The rain that is currently affecting Tobago and most of the eastern Caribbean is being enhanced by a tropical wave that has now passed Tobago. This wave is now over the Dutch Antilles but most of the wave is over Venezuela where the heaviest rains have fallen.

3 more tropical waves are queuing along the tropical Atlantic all the way back to Africa and these will bring further periods of rain this week.

In addition, higher pressure to the north of the Caribbean is squeezing the pressure gradients and the consequence of this is strong trade winds that will build moderate to heavy seas in most areas across the southern Caribbean.

It looks like a rather rainy week ahead but there will be sunshine too … if you are a visitor you will need to take each day as it comes to decide what to do and where to go.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER … 16TH JUNE 2019
MORE RAIN THIS WEEK

The last of last weeks predicted tropical waves has just passed Tobago and has introduced high levels of moisture sandwiched between it and the next tropical wave.

Right now there is heavy rain over a broad area of the south east Caribbean and 3 more tropical waves on the way for this week.

Very much the same as last week.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER … 23RD JUNE 2019
LESS RAIN THIS WEEK

That does not mean there will be no rain !!

As I type, another tropical wave has just passed Tobago sucking up and enhancing moisture from the rainforests of South America.

Last week was a very wet week with long periods of heavy rain particularly during the first half of the week.

The week ahead looks better but there is one more tropical wave on the way, plus another one about to leave the coast of Africa.

The highest risk of rain is today and midweek when the next tropical wave is expected to arrive. High pressure is stubbornly anchoring itself over and to the south of Bermuda and the wind could pick up from time to time bringing choppy seas in the Caribbean Sea but the worst of this is not likely to reach Tobago.

I expect the seas around the coast to become steadily stronger towards the end of the week.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER … 1ST JULY 2019
ARE THE TRADES GOING TO WIN?

Sorry about the late update … I have had a rather bad bug or perhaps I have self inflicted injuries from too much of the sun that we in the UK do not get enough of.

Last week, my prediction for rain in midweek was about 48 hours wrong, it eventually arrived on Friday and today (Monday) the remnants of the tropical wave is enhanced moisture and plenty of mostly showery rain.

I note that the Inter Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ for newbies) is beginning to edge north (where it should be) and that most of the rainfall can be blamed on the ITCZ. This is a constant low pressure area that spans the equator around our world and is often associated with the 'doldrums' where the air does not move and yet the weather conditions are unpredictable.

Anywhere within 10 degrees of the ITCZ would experience calm and the occasional violent thunderstorm.

Tropical Waves often run along the northern side of the ITCZ, boosting moisture in the atmosphere and bringing rains, sometimes developing into Tropical Storms, though normally any Storms often spin off to the north before they reach Tobago.

Right now there is a quite tight pressure gradient between the (ITCZ) low pressure and High pressure over near Bermuda. This brings strong easterly winds AKA trade winds and this can make the seas quite high and choppy from time to time.

This week sees a battle between these entities so there is a good chance of heavy waves but this chance reduces as we near the end of this week.

So … I am expecting the current rains to decrease over Tobago towards mid-week and for calmer conditions but with the constant risk of a heavy shower and possible thunderstorms. These will be localised so very hit and miss.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

SORRY

I put my post out but it disappeared … don't know if you can see it but I will do it again tomorrow if I have the time.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER … 8TH JULY 2019
4 TROPICAL WAVES ON THE WAY THIS WEEK

I am hoping this works!

This week is looking rather lively with 4 tropical waves on the march across the tropics.

These will bring rain and squally conditions but I am seeing hints of a small depression forming along one of the waves towards the end of the week which could bring a more organised period of wet weather.

Depending on the exact timing much of the rainfall could fall over night and this would increase the chances of sunshine during daylight.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER … 15TH JULY 2019
BECOMING MORE SETTLED THIS WEEK

The depression that I have been referring to over the last week is now bringing rains to Tobago and much of the south eastern Caribbean.

This will pass within 48 hours.

Another tropical wave has left Africa. It looks big but too early to assess.

So this week for Tobago … mostly rain and showers through Monday and Tuesday and then it looks like the sunshine will take over for the rest of the week … as long as no rain streamers shoot up from the south.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER … 22ND JULY 2019
DRIER FOR THE WEEK AHEAD

Apologies for the late forecast as I recover from a fantastic weekend of entertainment with family … I hardly even looked at the weather so I have a bit of catching up to do.

The week ahead may look ominous with 5 tropical waves strung out across the tropical Atlantic but there is a dense swathe of Saharan dust across the whole Atlantic that will limit rainfall, although Tobago is just on the southern edge of this and may be prone to some rain from the ITCZ or South America.

I see that the NHC are issuing advisories on a disturbance over the Bahamas but I think the environmental conditions will make this short-lived.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER FOR THE WEEK AHEAD … 28TH JULY 2019
PLENTY OF RAINFALL POTENTIAL THIS WEEK

Last week was much drier as predicted but this lasted until Saturday as the dry Saharan air shifted north and allowed a vigorous tropical wave to develop heavy rains over the south east Caribbean.

The general situation is a strong Atlantic High lifting slowly north and a narrowing (yet large) area of Saharan dust opening the corridor along the tropics for tropical waves to develop plenty of moisture.

This marks the point where Storms and Hurricanes can begin their development in the tropical Atlantic as we approach the peak of the Hurricane season in September … up until now, conditions have only been marginally favourable in the Gulf and northern areas of the Caribbean and where Storm development has occurred it has been short-lived, even Barry … but Barry brought heavy rains.

So … Tobago can expect to have stronger tropical waves passing if the Saharan air stays to the north. Any tropical waves that develop into Storms would typically spin to the north although Tobago has had some close shaves in recent years and it should not be surprising if a tropical wave or depression, in the early stages of development, goes close to or over Tobago before it moves onto bigger things elsewhere.

The current tropical wave is starting to take it's rains away from Tobago but there will be some heavy showers around and this wave has introduced plenty of moisture so I am expecting more rain to fall over the next couple of days before the next tropical wave moves in.

Plenty of rain for the week ahead.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
TRAIN OF TROPICAL WAVES LEAVING AFRICA

It is going to be very difficult to predict the week ahead other then to simply describe the general situation.

As the wet / low / hurricane season (call it what you want!) heats up there is considerable energy building in the tropics but the conditions are not quite right for storm development in the tropical Atlantic.

Tobago is just marginally south of the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ). Some people call this the 'doldrums' because it can be completely calm but severe thunderstorms can develop very quickly and the tropical waves that run along the ITCZ can create these conditions … so you could find yourself having a karma on a sun bed on the beach and suddenly a squall will give you a good soaking and lift all loose objects and scatter them around the beach … most inconvenient!

If you are on the Caribbean side of Tobago you don't get much warning until the dark shelf cloud emerges over the tops of the hilly rainforest !!

But I like this weather because of the calm but it can get incredibly hot and humid. As a guide for those in the UK that experienced the recent heatwave, Tobago would never get as hot and humid as that … but close. Tobago's temperatures are pretty consistent all year with the exception of the nights in high season that are generally cooler (and the sea feels warmer than the air temperature at night) and the humidity lower.

Another factor is the Saharan air layer which is sporadically over Tobago and this factor could reduce rainfall this week.

So amongst all the uncertainties I am leaning towards generally fair weather with the chance of some rude rain interruptions.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

LOOKING GOOD

It's looking good for next week.

Even the sea is calm but it may get a little moderate towards the end of the week.

2 Tropical Waves are on the way with the first wave passing today and tomorrow. This is creating some showers over Guyana and Venezuela but introducing drier air until the next insignificant tropical wave arrives later in the week.

So I am predicting a calm and sunny week with occasional showers … there may even be a day without showers and the only spoiler is the ITCZ.

I would suggest that you make the most of this because the energy and sea temperatures are increasing and I would expect a few rain events in September / October.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

IT HAS TO GET BETTER !

My predictions last week could not have been more wrong although I did mitigate my predictions with the warning that the ITCZ could spoil it … and it did … totally.

The ITCZ is currently across Guyana, Venezuela and Columbia. During last week, a procession of thunderstorms developed over Guyana spinning off to the north west and moving over T&T, Barbados and Grenada, not to mention the Dutch Antilles. Ironically there was more thunderstorm activity over the south east Caribbean than there was over the rainforests of South America.

Flooding has been reported widely but the focus has been on flood reports in Trinidad where localised Tropical Storm-like conditions have been reported. Over the course of last week the satellite loops have shown these thunderstorms brewing up quickly and becoming quite violent in places … this is typical ITCZ weather.

Today a tropical wave is passing through and enhancing this weather activity but the effects are felt locally so some areas will miss the worst of the storms.

The ITCZ's position has not changed much over the week but this does not necessarily mean that this disturbed weather will continue because it is impossible to predict whether the ITCZ will be calm or active but the 'flash-point' remains the coast of Guyana and inland towards Venezuela.

So I would say that my predictions for this week are the same as last week but with stronger emphasis on the risks of thunderstorm activity.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER UPDATE … 25TH AUGUST 2019
TROPICAL STORM DORIAN MAKES WEATHER UNPREDICTABLE
AMAZON FIRES

The weather is actually quite calm with showers well scattered as Tropical Strom Dorian approaches from the east. Dorian should pass to the north of Tobago late Monday and Tuesday but if you refer to my earlier post in the 2019 Hurricane forum you will see that I am not entirely comfortable about Dorian's track.

As matters stand Barbados could take a direct hit and Tobago could get some rain and the surf could increase but Dorian is a young storm and typically unpredictable.

Whatever happens, Dorian will leave a trail of moisture behind so I am going to say that the rest of the week could be a little unsettled.

Now, the Amazon ...

The fires are widespread and the smoke can be seen very easily on sat loops. I often wonder how a soggy wet rainforest can catch fire and everyone is saying it's the dry season as if that makes it perfectly understandable. NO … rainforests need rain all year round and they would not exist if there is a dry season. It rains during the dry season and Tobago visitors will be well aware of this.

These fires are a crisis on a global scale. The Amazon rainforest has been described as the 'lungs of the world' and half of what's left of it could go missing. This incident alone could bring more impacts than the historic and gradual (by comparison) deforestation altogether and this is sudden. The reduction in the rainforest will result in a proportionate reduction in the rains that it causes and needs.

To put it cryptically, our World is going to have a chest infection and you often need medication to prevent this getting worse but the ideal cure of restoring the losses is difficult and we would need to consult the genius of Costa Rica to see how you can replace a rainforest and it's eco-systems.

What are the impacts? … anybody's guess as to how severe but, locally, less rain and the hospitalisation of many from inhaling the smoke. The smoke is not a big deal within the scope of the environment and atmosphere but it is the CO2 factor that needs to be measured and understood.

It is extremely sad to see this.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER UPDATE … 1ST SEPTEMBER 2019
OK WEEK AHEAD

For updates regarding Hurricane Dorian and other storm activity please go to the 2019 Hurricane Season Forum.

Last week was dominated by Tropical Storm Dorian that tracked north of Tobago with it's outer rain bands just scraping by as the Storm took an unexpected shift to the north.

Otherwise, Tobago has had quite a good week and, apart from those in the path of the storm, the whole Caribbean has been generally calm with fair weather and widely scattered showers.

I expect the fair weather to continue through at least the early part of this week. The ITCZ is north of Tobago with 3 tropical waves on the way. The first wave has no noticeable moisture associated with it but the 2 following waves that will reach Tobago by the end of this week have plenty of moisture to deliver.

Overall it should be good this week with the risk of heavy showers from time to time.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER UPDATE … 8TH SEPTEMBER 2019
UNPREDICTABLE WEEK AHEAD

Right now, the weather for Tobago is sublime and the week ahead could be very good but there are a couple of complications …

A tropical wave is about 24 - 36 hours away and this could bring some rain or showers late Monday and into Tuesday.

A disturbance is about 4 - 5 days away in the eastern tropical Atlantic and it is heading straight for the Caribbean. The NHC is issuing advisories on the disturbance but the chance of development is (so far) reducing so I am not sure if this system will (1) develop and go north, (2) develop and affect a limited area of the Caribbean or (3) arrive in the Caribbean as an open tropical wave which would affect a wider area with rain.

So Tuesday is a doubt and Thursday / Friday is a doubt … but otherwise I am expecting the weather to be fair.

Please refer to the 2019 Hurricane Season forum for updates on the disturbance.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER UPDATE … 15TH SEPTEMBER 2019
SOME RAIN THIS WEEK

With 4 tropical waves on the way, Tobago can expect some rain from time to time this week.

The first wave is over Tobago and there are some large and heavy showers around the south east Caribbean. One area of rain from St Lucia up to Antigua, a second east of this and out to sea and a third just east of Tobago.

Tropical waves often introduce a change on the weather. Some bring rain and some introduce a drier area of weather. The current rain is in a moist area between the first and second waves. The third wave arriving around midweek could bring wetter weather until the fourth wave may introduce drier weather again. Along each wave's axis there is potential for rain and squally conditions.

So, an unpredictable week in terms of the timings but one hopes that most of any rain will fall at night.

For details of any storms or weather disturbances please refer to the 2019 Hurricane forum.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER UPDATE
TROPICAL STORM KAREN HITS TOBAGO

I have already issued posts on the 2019 Hurricane forum regarding Tropical Storm Karen which is currently impacting Tobago.

Karen's is currently just off the Caribbean coast of Tobago with tropical storm force winds that extend about 120 miles from the centre. This means that the whole of Tobago currently sits within this wind field where sustained wind speeds are at least 40 mph with higher gusts well in excess of 60 mph.

The biggest threat to Tobago is the rain which is belting it down at the rate of 1 to 2 inches per hour so I would expect a number of major landslides, some rural communities being cut off and a threat to life.

The outflow from Karen has become very impressive, with rain bands extending deep into Venezuela.

For the rest of the week it looks unsettled with further rain following TS Karen into Monday and possibly Tuesday and then some calm for the rest of the week until the next tropical wave arrives.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

WEATHER UPDATE … 29TH SEPTEMBER 2019
CALM?

Since the visit of Tropical Storm Karen, the weather has been relatively calm and with plenty of sunshine … allowing the mopping up from Karen's rain to commence without interruptions.

The week ahead is looking good too with just one tropical wave in the Atlantic and a lot of dry air over the storm spawning areas of the last 2 weeks.

So any poor weather conditions can only come from the south which Tobago is prone to due to it close proximity to the South American mainland.

So I am expecting a fair week ahead but sea conditions could be a little choppy with swells arriving from Hurricane Lorenzo in the mid-Atlantic.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “Weather”