2006 Hurricane Season

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Not at all David.

I would hasten to add that in view of the excessive length of your break (is it 120 days?) ... you should expect approximately 12 full days of rain throughout your holiday.

Whether it comes in one go or is spread nicely over the duration of your stayhas yet to be seen.

Enjoy your holiday :wink:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Stephen Hull

Post by Stephen Hull »

Paul

Thanks. The thunderstorms didn't arrive here last night either, although from our vantage point above Scarborough, we were treated to a spectacular lightening display over Trinidad as night-time fell!

Steve H
Janet Blackwell

Flash Floods

Post by Janet Blackwell »

Just got back.
Some folks from our hotel had gone up to one of the waterfalls on Tuesday. A seven year old boy and a guy had been at the bottom fall and climbed onto a rock when this flash flood came from above. Within seconds the whole place became panic. People were running to get out of the way and a lot of people lost bags and towels as the water flooded the dry areas.
The boy and man had to wait for the fire brigade to come and rescue them.
Stephen Hull

Post by Stephen Hull »

Janet

That must have been last Tuesday. It did indeed throw it down for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I drove/aquaplaned my sister through the rainforest in that downpour. The rivers can rise very very quickly when it rains. Worse still, it can be raining in the hills and sunny at the waterfall, so you have no advance warning that the river is about to rise.

Steve H
Janet Blackwell

Post by Janet Blackwell »

Yep thats right Steve, it was last Tuesday. We had got a boat out and was caught in a storm. The sea got a bit rocky and a few people puked overboard!.
When we got back to the hotel the people there told us it had not rained at all and the people who went to the falls also said they saw no rain.
A local man was telling us that it often rains up on the mountains and out at sea.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

TROPICAL STORM CHRIS

Well ... something did come out of that Tropical Wave.

The Wave split into 2 halves ... the lower half continued west as a weak affair.

The upper half veered north and the depression reformed ... it is now a Trpical Storm just east of Antigua.

The Forecast Models are in dispute as to whether this will die out over the next few days or move into more favourable conditions and develop into a Hurricane.

Weather looks fair for Tobago for the rest of the week.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Waterfalls

The posts about the sudden flooding of a waterfall is well worth noting.

This happens frequently after heavy rains drain from the top of the rainforest and the water accumulations follow their channels down towards sea-level.

As the water volumes accumulate it becomes more dangerous as it makes it's progress down the slopes.

There was a widely reported incident similar to this in Jamaica a few years ago when half a family was washed away from a rock as water suddenly cascaded down following a heavy thunderstorm.

This is an even bigger hazard when the ground is dry and hard ... little rainwater soaks into the ground and more of the rain accumulations wash down the river channels.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Steve P

Post by Steve P »

Paul
Just booked our 1st trip to Tobago for 27th Sept 2007.
We are staying at the Coco Reef, for 2 weeks.
Where could I find weather history for that time of year, and what kind do you think we can expect etc.
Regards
Steve & Karen
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Steve

Good question.

There used to be a weather site that gave you historical weather data for previous years ... you just clicked on the date ... but I can't find it anywhere now and I have forgotten who supplied it so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

As for the 27th September ... it is the alleged wet season but as I have said in previous posts it can be wet in the dry season and dry in the wet season ... pot luck !

Just a little more humid at that time of year.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Paul Tallet
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Paul,I think http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ has a history site,but whether weather on locally is recorded I don't know.It definitely gives apst hurricanes.
David(counting down) :D
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi David

The National Hurricane Centre does have historical information but it is very broad and relates mostly to the US and Caribbean as a whole ... particularly with regard to Hurricane data.

So ... you would be able to see that Hurricane Emily affected Tobago in 1963 but you would not see any other data for Tobago unless a Hurricane or Tropical Storm happens to coincide with the dates you are looking for.

The site I refer to was where you could select a calender and select any day of any year to see the weather record for a number of places around the world ... Tobago included ... it would disclose the min and max temperatures, if there was rain or sun and the wind speed.

I thought it was Wunderbar but that seems wrong ...

I am sure it is still around ... just a matter of finding it, which I will in due course.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Graham Jones
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Weather web site

Post by Graham Jones »

Paul

Might that be

http://www.wunderground.com

You can search for historical data on this site for a given location.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thanks Graham

Yes it is Wunderground ... I got confused with the World Cup and called it Wunderbar !!

I thought it was this site but when I tried I could not find the links. They only give the last 5 days.

Perhaps the site only got 2 hits for this information in the last 12 months which was probably me and there are so few other people like Steve P that need this data that they decided to knock it (history) on the head !!

Sorry Steve ... I could not resist that :wink:

I will keep searching nonetheless.

Regards
Paul Tallet
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hello Paul,it seems a very quiet year for trop storms and hurricanes.Is this,historically,a good or bad sign?
David(about 103 dtg :D )
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello David

The NOAA have downgraded their forecast for 2006 and it certainly seems that it will be significantly quiter than 2005.

But these storms tend to really get going in the last 2 or 3 months of the season up to November.

2005 was quite unique because the first storms occurred in May and the very last storm of the season was in December and very nearly into 2006.

The season is not yet over and there are 3 months left ... don't relax yet !

Regards
Paul Tallet
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Oh cheers,Paul! So a damp Christmas again?????
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

isn't yours "moist" anyway? carib and rumpunch in the glass and sharons gravy on the plate for christmas dinner?! :wink:
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

And a P ... !! Erm :-k there are no Partridges in Tobago are there?

Come to think of it ... don't recall seeing a Pear Tree either :?

I wonder ... what will your true love send to you for Christmas David?

Regards
Paul Tallet
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Have to find a true love first!!!!! :cry:
David(100 dtg...Whoopee!!! :D :D )
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I thought Tobago was your true love, David.
Paul Tallet

Return to “Weather”