MOSQUITOS and any other BITING BUGS!!

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Shanna

MOSQUITOS and any other BITING BUGS!!

Post by Shanna » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:52 pm

I get attacked something terrible by mosquitos and so does my boyfriend - how bad are they in Tobago? We have visited Ambergris Caye an island off of Belize (Central America) and they are really, really bad. We had to cover ourselves completely in bug spray. As long as we did that we stayed pretty bite free. Just curious to know what the condition is in Tobago. I did read that the sand flies are bad. Any info on this would be great. We are already prepared to bring plenty of bug spray!!!!

I guess being too sweet has it's downside :cry:

Thanks - Shanna

John Bray

Post by John Bray » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:11 pm

Hi Sand flies are bad if you go off beaten track, avoid grass and spray under tables at night.
Responds if you wear cream rather than spray on skin. Canadian recommended Wilsons cream which is great also boots after sun with repellent. Compared to Belize it should be a breeze. Any consolation the mossies in Tobago seem to prefer European chunky males.
Sally

Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic
Great Britain

Post by Jane H » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:57 pm

We've always found the local insect sprays & repellents to be the most effective.

"OFF" from the local pharmacy worked a treat for us!

Jane

Shanna

Post by Shanna » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:27 pm

Alright - good to know. I am glad it won't be as bad as it was in Belize. Not sure if you are familiar with something called Jungle Juice but we can get that here in North Carolina at a store called REI. It works great for all sorts of bugs. The downfall is that it's quite oily!

Paul Tallet
Weather Guru
Great Britain

Post by Paul Tallet » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:49 pm

Hi Shanna

This topic probably belongs in the Health and Security section of the Forum where you will find plenty of opinions about the various bug issues and how to deal with them.

But seeing as you have come to the Weather section I am delighted to give my opinions as follows:-

Mosquitos are not a problem on the beaches but they can be in the Rainforest or in fields or near rivers inland.

The Beach problems can be the sandfly which is very small and you never know they are biting you. They are commonly found in beaches where the rainforest meets the sea and near the rivers that flow into the sea ... so Englishmans Bay, Castara, Parlatuvier, Bloody Bay and Charlottesville are the main sandfly areas.

Everyone gets bitten by the sandfly and they bite alot ... it is just a matter of how you react ... it does not affect everyone but if it affects you then the bites start to swell about 2 to 6 hours after the bites and you wake up in your bed at night thinking that there is a ravenous mosquito in your room.

The only thing you can do is try to prevent it ... keep legs and ankles covered up in the late afternoons and evenings or avoid the rainforest beaches around these times ... the health and security section is full of divided opinions about what to use to repel Sandflies.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Shanna

Post by Shanna » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:50 pm

Paul - Thanks!

I guess you are right this subject doesn't really belong with the topic of weather - oops :roll:

I will look in other forum you mentioned for more information on the bugs etc...... but thanks for your advice. I will be well prepared to wear the bug spray most of the time while I am in Tobago regardless. Don't want to feel like there is a ravenous mosquito in my room at night - yuck!

- Shanna

Return to “Weather”