How long does the rain last??

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Essiemeraldie

How long does the rain last??

Post by Essiemeraldie »

Hello there,

We are going to Tobago in june. I saw the weather forecasts and it will be partly cloudy and rainy. Can someone please tell me approx. how long rain showers last in Tobago ? Are they long or short and heavy? I know June is the start of the rainy season, so does that mean we can't stay on the beach? :(
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: How long does the rain last??

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Essiemeraldie

Welcome aboard! :D

I will refrain from the question: how long is a piece of string? It is always tempting fate to talk about the weather. All I can tell you is that in general, tropical rain comes in short sharp bursts - not the sustained "drizzle" that we get so often here in Britain (including today) and, I imagine, you suffer sometimes in the Netherlands.

I would be most surprised if you didn't get some good beach time in June.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Essiemeraldie

Post by Essiemeraldie »

Thanks for the info! I expect it will be allright! Like you said, as long as it isnt drizzle I am sure it will be ok!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Essie

The rain normally arrives as showers and they are often heavy (compared to where we live) and last between a few minutes and an hour ... depends how quickly the showers are moving.

Occasionally there is a washout that can last for a day or more ... I expect 2 days rain for every 2 weeks generally when I go to Tobago whatever time of year.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Essiemeraldie

Post by Essiemeraldie »

I expect something like that. So I will bring an umbrella with me and just chill with a cocktail untill the rain stops...I am sure I will have a great time!! :P
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi Essie,don't bother taking an umbrella,most places provide them,but if not they only cost about TT$25(US$4)
David :D
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Hi Essiemeraldie, The weather for the last couple of years has been not been very predictable. My wife refuses to go in Jan. because a few years ago it rained for 23 days straight and the humidity was terrible. I go anyway because 85 degrees with rain is alot better than Michigan winters and the last couple of years it did not rain much in Jan. but started when she arrived. We have never been there during the official rainy season so I can't really speak to it. During the time we are there it rains more in the north of the island than in the south. Last year even the distance between Castra and Charlotteville made a difference. David and I had a running commentary on the rain. It rained alot more in Castra than in C-ville. I would watch the dark clouds go over the hills south of C-ville and knew Castra would be getting rain. Sure enough the next day David would report rain.

We do take umbrellas with us. They are the ones that collapse really small. Easy to pack for the trip and you can carry one in your pocket or a fanny pack. If it looks like rain we will usually take at least one with us. We usually have one in the glove box of the jeep all the time.

As Paul and Steve have said the rain usually comes in short showers. During the day it is easy to watch the sky and clouds and plan accordingly. Because Tobago is so laid back if you get caught in a shower just run for cover and meet new people and make new friends where ever you take shelter

Phil
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hi Essie, We usually go to Tobago at the end of May - begining of June, we have a couple of times had one very rainy day, but not this year. Other than one day, there have only been short showers, if we are on the beach, we stay in the sea - well you're wet anyway! other than that, the rain can be quite refreshing, just head for shelter if you feel the need.

Linda

Return to “Weather”