September / October ... Honeymoon

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Mark

September / October ... Honeymoon

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:12 pm

Hi,

we are spending our honeymoon in the Coco Reef resort for 3 weeks - from 15th september to about 7th October.

I know that this is the rainy season, but I'm still unsure what to expect, as the weather info still says 7 hours of sunshine, and 30 degrees C.

Can someone clarify all this for me, as we don't even know what to pack!

How much sunbathing are we likely to be able to do?

Thanks

Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:27 pm

I know it sounds confusing, Mark, but fear not.

There are very few days when it’s cloudy and rains all day – such conditions really are the exception, rather than the rule. Most of the rain falls at night, so you wake up to lovely fresh smells and it keeps the island so wonderfully green. If it does rain during the day, its often flash ‘storms’ in the sense that it clouds up in minutes, rather than hours, chucks it down for 15-20 minutes, then half an hour later there’s blue skies and you can hardly believe it rained. Mind you, it can chuck more rain down in those 15-20 minutes than five days of British drizzle. It’s seldom a problem – just enough time for a beer before you return to the beach – and the rain is always warm, so when it’s a light drizzle, lots of tourists (unlike the locals, who are very susceptible to colds when they get wet) don’t even run for shelter.

As far as packing goes – you ought to take at least two long raincoats each, waterproof over-boots and a minimum of two brollies. Only joking!!! :lol: Forget about packing anything for rain – if you do, you’re a lot more ‘sensible’ and practical that most of us.

Unless you’re absolutely intent on frying yourself, you’ll probably get in just as much sunbathing as you would do in the dry season.

Have a great trip and be sure to let us know how you get on.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak
Great Britain

Rainy Season

Post by Steve Pitts » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:21 am

Hi Steve

Lyn and I always pack a telescopic brolly each and keep them in our small backpacks when we're out and about. They take up no room at all and weigh next to nothing.
They have proven invaluable during the odd tropical downpour (if you're out walking, you don't get drenched and if you're on the beach, you don't have to dash for cover like everyone else). They also come in handy in the mid-day sun as a parrasol.
Come to think of it, I might start carrying one around with me here(Bristol) 95 degrees and rising. Phew!

Cheers
Steve

Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic
Great Britain

Post by Glyn Kirpalani » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:08 pm

Hi Steve

95f and rising in the UK?!!! I heard it is going to be a long hot august and that my ex-fellow commuters in London/elsewhere are suffering yet again and worse than normal. Your post has inspired me for my next Tobago marketing campaign in the UK press:

"Fed up with the tropical sun and heat in the UK? Come to Tobago to enjoy cooler temperatures, mostly air conditioned accomodation with pools and regular refreshing rain showers"

It would be worth a giggle and so ironic!

Keep smiling, hope it cools down soon (a little) in UK,
Regards
Glyn (refugee from the heat)
Glyn Kirpalani

Steve Wooler
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:20 pm

Hi Glyn

Well, at least it gives British Rail (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) a new excuse. Instead of snow or leaves on the line, it's now the heat. The say the lines are buckling (I thought it was just the management). We're so pathetic in this country. Do the rail networks make the same excuses in countries like Canada and Japan who have greater climatic variation than us? Me thinks not somehow!

Steve - thanks for the tip about those little portable brollies. A very sensible suggestion.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Weather”