Sun

Weather reports, questions and comment.
jamesandsam
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Sun

Post by jamesandsam »

Will be in Tobago in the next couple of days for two weeks holiday!

The weather seems a bit wet - is it really as bad as the Websites suggest or does the sun shine for the majority of the time. Bit worried as I am a sun worshipper!!

I picked this time of year because I thought it was the 'dry season'! :roll:

Regards

Sam
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Sun

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sam

Where does it suggest that the weather seems a bit wet? I was there up until ten days ago and, believe you me, they are crying out for rain. The island is tinder-dry and desperate for some water. Even if it does come, it is highly unlikely to rain all day, every day. In practise, April is on the cusp of the dry and wet seasons. Check the Liquid Sunshine thread at the top of this forum for our resident weather-expert's assessment of current conditions.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
jamesandsam
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by jamesandsam »

Marvellous - weather sites suggest rain/cloud everyday! Thunderstorms etc etc.

Having been to the Carribean a couple of times before - I do tend to ignore what they say as weather can change at the drop of a hat!

LOL

Sam
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sam

Difficult one! I often wonder why I pay a high annual licence fee for the live feed that powers the Weather icons on the right sidebar of all our main pages for exactly that reason. The truth is that it is a virtually impossible job to give a full day forecast in a simple single-icon format. Under normal circumstances it is safe to say that it will rain every day on Tobago. That is why the island is so lush and green and Tobago would never have had a rainforest without such weather. However, 'rain every day' disguises the truth. It typically rains more at night (and particularly during the very early hours of the morning) than during the day. Even when it does rain during the day, the showers (or even heavier) often only last a few minutes - and 20 minutes later you would swear it couldn't have rained. From that point of view, it would be better for the weather sidebars to ignore the rain. But, how do they tell the difference between the 'inconsequential' rain and the real heavy stuff? Difficult one!

Just remember, it is almost inconceivable that you will go there next week and not get lots of sunshine. :lol:
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Sam

The weather forecasts always seem to predict rain because it is very common for there to be a shower at some point in the day or night.

The showers rarely last more than 20 minutes and occasionally you could have a very showery day ... I have said previously that the very worst you could expect on a 2 week holiday is about 2 days of rain ... I emphasise that as the worst.

As Steve says, the weather has been unusually hot and dry recently but there is rain around the southern Caribbean ... Tobago has not had it's fair share though.

Whatever happens, I am sure you will get plenty of sunshine :P

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Image004.jpg
Image004.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 6115 times
I just took this picture outside of my office in Chaguaramas, Trinidad.
The smoke in the background is from bush fires in the hills.
This is how it looks almost everywhere these days, where there is bush on the islands.

Dry enough ? :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Andy
jamesandsam
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by jamesandsam »

Thanks Guys for all your responses!

x

:lol:

Return to “Weather”