2010 Hurricane Season

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Susanne Thomsen
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Re: 2010 Hurricane Season

Post by Susanne Thomsen »

Hi Paul.
Thank you for update , but i am a little bit vorry about the situation and i am sitting here in front of computer many times a day to se what news about Tomas and what else you can find #-o
[-X [-o< So i hope you can bring the good weather for us soon. :) we have 2 weeks to go, so from the 17th we will be in Castara for 2 weeks.
And then i can se you will be there in marts, we also will be there again from 9th. of marts and 2 weeks.

I will look forwards to se that you can find the sunshine for us. [-o<

Best regards Susanne and family
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hmmm ... regrettably, the weather should be fine for you during the alleged dry season.

If I make it ... I will be smiling whatever the weather :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Just got off the radio after talking to some guys from St. Lucia.
They have is real bad, some areas are still completely cut off as bridges had collapsed.
So far 4 deaths are confirmed as a whole family was buried when their house came down in a landslide,
but up to 12 people may have lost their lives in the Souffriere area alone, which is one of the
most affected areas in St. Lucia.
We don't need to talk about water and electricity supply and telecommunication.
Supplies and first responders now trickling in by boat.

In Barbados still about 30% of the population are without electricity, water and telecommunication.

Tobago got away pretty well except for some areas in the north-eastern part of the island where
some damage was done to homes and infrastructure.
Jo Wheeler
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Jo Wheeler »

Hi

We're going to Tobago in a couple of weeks, do you happen to know how long this bad weather is due to last?

Is it all rain Tobago's getting at the moment, or is it sunny sometimes too?

We're going for our belated honeymoon and so am really hoping it doesn't spend the whole time raining and thundering!! :-)

Thank you
Jo
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

If you are on your honeymoon it should not matter weather it rains or not! :wink:
Simon Partridge
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Simon Partridge »

Hi Jo arrived in paradise yesterday. Weather warm a bit humid but dry so far today. You will have a ball whatever as the island is friendly and the weather is always good more often than not. Will be posting regular updates on weather and what's going on.
Jo Wheeler
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Jo Wheeler »

Brilliant! Thank you for the update! (And the cheeky reply from Hugh! :-) )
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Jo

The weather should be fine ... it is rare to get prolonged rainfall in Tobago.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

TOMAS THREATENING HAITI

Tomas has already achieved fatality statistics in St Lucia and considerable damage in other Islands (Barbados, Dominica, The Grenadines).

Having peaked in strength over these unfortunate locations, Tomas weakened considerably ... he is now re-strengthening and the models are in general agreement that Tomas will curve to the north with some debate as to whether Jamaica or Haiti and the Dominican Republic are on his radar.

Tomas currently represents a massive area of extremely intense rainfall in the south Caribbean Sea that has been affecting the Dutch Antilles. He is already one of the most destructive Storms of the 2010 season.

There is debate as to how powerful Tomas will get (Category 3 Hurricane?) but this is not as important as how mobile he will be.

Some of the forecasts are suggesting that Tomas could stall near or over Haiti for several days and, with rain falling at the rate of an inch every hour, this could have disastrous consequences for a deforested country that has had more than it's fair share of natural disasters in recent years and is currently dealing with a very serious outbreak of Cholera.

I don't know how any country can prepare for this, let alone Haiti ... It's looking bleak.

Regards
Paul Tallet
SandraK
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by SandraK »

Dear Pete
How right you are to put things in perspective ! How much more can Haiti take, moot point I feel. Not much in my opinion - a nightmare.

Off to Antigua and Tobago on the !5th. and should it rain every day, which it won't, will feel incredibly privileged just to have time out in such a gorgeous part of our planet.
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

to whom it may concern ..... St. Lucia update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbPh_Rh7 ... ture=share

Yesterday a boat evacuated 86 tourists from a hotel in southern St. Lucia to transfer them to the northern part of
the island. They were without supplies, water, electricity, and communication since the hurricane.
Some 120 are still there and scheduled to be evacuated by boat today.

Also:
Coast guard is picking bodies from the sea.

As of last night, 7 deaths had been confirmed, 10 more persons are unaccounted for.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

That's so sad! I had not heard the news.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

TOMAS UPDATE

Sad indeed ... I think the Tomas name will be retired.

He has weakened to a Tropical Depression and, although he is expected to strengthen again I don't think that will make much difference to the large rainfall totals over Jamaica and Haiti over the next 2 - 3 days.

Meanwhile, the next Tropical Wave is closing in on Tobago and, as predicted, rain is starting to fall again ... could be some heavy falls again.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

TOMAS UPDATE

As expected, Tomas is re-strengthening and is now back to a Tropical Storm. There is a small chance he could regain hurricane status but, to be honest, that is academic.

Tomas now represents a massive area of heavy rain that is about to start moving over Haiti ... this area of rain extends all the way back south to the South American mainland ... I would prefer to describe this as a monsoon.

Haiti would have problems with 2 or 3 inches of rain ... it could be between 15 and 20 inches ... there is the potential for a major disaster unfolding here between now and Sunday.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

TOMAS UPDATE

Tomas is still maintaining Tropical Storm strength and there is a small chance he could intensify into a Hurricane as he crosses the strait between Haiti and Cuba.

Jamaica, Cuba and Haiti will get heavy rains from Tomas ... these rains are expected to be significant no matter what status Tomas is and Haiti, as I have said before, is not able to handle much more than a couple of inches of rain.

Rains started falling in earnest over Haiti a few hours ago.

The Tropical Wave affecting Tobago has moved on and there are scattered showers about ... another Tropical Wave is due for the weekend.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

HURRICANE TOMAS (AGAIN)

It has been remarkable how Tomas has peaked in intensity everytime he approaches land.

It is particularly cruel that everything has combined to strengthen Tomas into a Hurricane for the second time as his rains continue to pour down over Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica.

The satellite loops are showing very heavy rains falling in these areas and the main news channels are now reporting on the potentially catastrophic situation that could unfold in Haiti.

The worst is yet to come.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Simon Partridge
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Not sure what a tropical wave is Paul but we have had heavy showers on & off all Friday morning, then wonderful sunshine for the early part of the afternoon at Arnos Vale. It has looked as though the South i.e. Pigeon Point & Scarborough have been bathed in heavy rain most of the day!!!
As i type, 4.30pm local time we have had an hour of horizontal rain the likes of which i have only see once and that was Trinidad yesterday.
Not sure what this is going to do for landslips as the ground must be pretty saturated. Heh ho mustn't complain as still in paradise and many others have had much worse & by the sounds of it more to come.
In several visits at this time of year we have never had this sort of weather, been lucky no doubt. Will keep updating situation, hopefully soon reporting wall to wall sunshine :)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thanks Simon

Should be OK 'til Sunday/Monday when the next wave moves in ... nothing significant though.

Have a good time and behave :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Simon Partridge
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Two glorious days, Sat & Sun, very warm but with a lovely breeze. This is more like the Tobago we love. Hoping the weather will continue good for a while.
Travelled the Atlantic coast road to Speyside today and saw several landslips and a large chunk of retaining wall that had slipped and broken from thirty feet above the road. Road to Speyside was open all the way.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes ... all of a sudden the Atlantic appears to have quietened down and there are no Tropical Waves to mention.

I would like to think that Tomas is the last Hurricane of the season but don't forget that the Hurricane Season is not over (officially) until 1st December.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “Weather”