2010 Hurricane Season

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: 2010 Hurricane Season

Post by Paul Tallet »

TOMAS

I am glad to see the back of Tomas and I have waited a while to see what reports come from Haiti before passing comment.

Firstly, despite Tomas' strength as he passed Haiti, a major catastrophe did not happen directly from Tomas ... there was some loss of life and it remains to be seen how Tomas' rains could have worsened the Cholera problem so judgement should be reserved.

It now looks unlikely that any further Storms will develop but not impossible ... December storms have occurred in several years, particularly in 2005.

What bugs me about 2010 is that it has been a very active season and most of the Storms have developed in areas well away from normality ... either very far to the east or south (Tomas) ... many Storms have developed and not threatened land ... very few Storms have followed the traditional paths ... as a consequence the seas are still exceptionally warm in most parts of the Caribbean, despite Tomas' best efforts.

Despite how nasty Hurricanes are, we must understand that they are an important component of Nature's Cooling System and, as such, are necessary ...

... have there been enough Hurricanes in the right places to reduce the heat?

... could we be in for a wet dry season or is the energy going to carried over into a very active 2011 season?

Either way ... the corals won't be too happy.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Simon Partridge
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Simon Partridge »

Tobago bathed in glorious sunshine Tuesday, and Wednesday has started in the same vein. Looking forward to a trip up the coast on Cocmotion with lunch at Gemmas kitchen, so pleased the swell is slight.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Simon ... thanks for the posts ... could you put them on Liquid Sunshine Feedback because (hopefully) the 2010 Hurricane thread is going to be history soon.

There is a small threat near Puerto Rico now but that shouldn't come to much ... I am watching out for a threat in the south western Caribbean early next week.

Other than that ... Tobago is fine :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Guy Burn
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Re: 2010 Hurricane Season - Tomas!

Post by Guy Burn »

Is there a chance someone can post a report about just how much damage Tomas did "Downeast"; all I have seen is a providential escape of the occupants when a house in Delaford went down the hill.

Especially I should like to hear about Speyside and Charlotteville and even more specifically about the road "over the ridge" and along Flagstaff and thus about if houses were harmed along the ridge and down into C'ville.

Thank you in advance.
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

I will visit TEMA (Tobago Emergency Management Agency) next week for business.
They have statistics and i will try to get something to post here.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

The Tobago News (I am not fully confident of the accuracy of this journal) has reported that 5 houses were washed away in Delaford and that this area, Speyside, Charlottesville and L'Ansi Formi were worst affected.

It also indicates that, although there was considerable flooding, that all the roads are now operational and that there are some moderate repairs needed in some areas, mainly bridges.

That's all I know.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Guy Burn
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Guy Burn »

Thank you, Paul. It was the Tob News report which prompted my question. I suppose one can be reassured a little by the statement that all the roads are now open, but it took seven years to get close to finishing the repairs to the roads in the Speyside/Charlotteville area from the '03 damage........

My concern is largely from feeling sad for the residents in general, but I do know some of the house and land owners along Flagstaff Road above Speyside, and I have always thought sealing the surface to have been not altogther a good idea. The water used to soak evenly into the ground and now it is not entirely perfectly channelled so that it can become "a scouring weapon" as one former house owner knows to his cost, his house having been undermined and destroyed by the channelled run-off water.

There was fire above Charlotteville in May which came over the ridge from above Speyside; it burned for days, and the town saved two or three houses by heroic effort of everyone banding together. Within three weeks, when I was there towards the end of June, the ravages were receding. Now there is flood again. With more dengue than usual this year, what is next? I am sure it will be as serene and fantastic, as usual, when I get back there in Feb or March.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Guy

I think is was the 2004 Storm (or rainstorm) you recall that destroyed the Charlottesville Reef, brought numerous landslides and fatalities, the effects of which are still seen today.

Luckily, Tomas seems to have caused mostly superficial damage and made only a few homeless so I hope the affected areas will recover much quicker from this.

The other problem you say is like 'irrigating' the waters when they fall ... I think it's a very difficult problem to solve for an Island with such a hilly terrain ... Delaford was also badly affected by the 2004 event ... they should perhaps plan carefully where the houses are built to avoid this repeating again ... 2004 was the year that lessons should have been learned.

Cue ... THA?

Regards
Paul Tallet
GervaisAlkins

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Hey,
just to add my three cents here as a local and tour-guide. I did some hiking last week in C'ville to check out the trails after Tomas. The Flagstaff/Cow Ridge road is has extensive landslide on the trail. In my opinion, there is more damage now on the trail than in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan.I hiked this same trail after Ivan to check the condition of this trail. After Ivan there was a massive landslide that made this road into Bel Air impassable. Tomas has further damaged were the original landslide occured and also created one more new large landslide and felled a number of trees and bamboo.
On driving up the coast last week, I noticed most of the damage and landslides are occuring by new properties or government projects (that sad THA development beside Argyle Falls) and also below sites and areas of environmental degredation.
On more thing, last year will in living in Trinidad, I visited the Chaguaramas Park on the NW tip of Trinibad quite frequently. These roads and trails were built by the Americans in the mid-40's and are still in great condition. Yes, it's true this area hardly sees any heavy vehicular activity but one will notice how extensive the drainage networks were constructed. These hills are about 1800-1900 feet (the same as Tobago's Highest point-Pigeon Peak) and gets alot of rain yet the inhabitants and buisnesses below rarely experience flooding.....until this year. My point is that in cases of very hilly terrain maybe we need experts from the US or let's say in Alpine regions who live in mountainous terrain to help us deal with landslides and sustainable construction and road building. Take care
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Gervais, I totally agree with you.

It baffles me when I see these new constructions built on 'stilts' on hills with incredibly steep sides ... they seem like disasters waiting to happen.

The roads in Tobago are miracles of work and, although some tourists ridicule the state of the roads, I think the engineers deserve alot of credit for building them and then rebuilding them after landslips.

I would go further and suggest no one bothers with construction in the rain forest areas ... the hillsides are so steep that I doubt there can be any defense to a major rainfall event.

Nature is the boss and developers ignore it's power at their peril.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Andy K wrote:I will visit TEMA (Tobago Emergency Management Agency) next week for business.
They have statistics and i will try to get something to post here.

Check this link for information

http://www.tema365.com/Tropical%20Storm ... 31/10/2010:
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thanks for all that Andy

Yesterday was the official end of the rather active 2010 Hurricane Season and the start of the Dry Season ...

... until 1st June 2011.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

bttt
Paul Tallet

Return to “Weather”