Who Weather you talkin bout???

Weather reports, questions and comment.
GervaisAlkins

Who Weather you talkin bout???

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Hey, saw Paul new post on the fine weather we've been experiencing and boy I should move where Paul is! It's rained nearly every day this week, and it a pain in our behind because I'm helping build a roof at the moment.We have'nt had two days straight yet of complete sun, but I'm not whining since I still got a few swims in at Grafton Beach. :D I tried to send a quick mail to Paul but I noticed the weather page is locked.Take care
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Who Weather you talkin bout???

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gervais

The weekly Liquid Sunshine topic is an announcement, updated weekly, so we don't allow posting to that topic so that readers always get the latest update, rather than having to scroll to the end/newest post of the topic. Readers can, however, post comment on the updates in the 'Liquid Sunshine - Feedback' topic and/or start new topics in the Weather sub-forum - so, I have moved your post from the General sub-forum as it is more relevant here.

Yes, I know what you mean. Today, here in Castara, was the first day since our arrival 9 days ago, that could be described as rain-free. Mind you, Jill went on a snorkelling tour today with Alibaba Tours and said it did rain a little while they were at Buccoo and someone else I spoke to this evening said it rained heavily while they were at Pigeon Point.

However, I think I've found the reason...

While waiting for a Chinese takeaway (Castara has the island's only black Chinese person - at least that's as near as I am allowed to record what he, and everyone in the village, calls himself without risking the wrath of the PC types) I got chatting to an English couple staying in the village. The main topic was the adverse weather. They say they are jinxed and that wherever they go, it rains. Sadly, it is my sad duty to tell visitors already on-island that they don't leave until the end of the month. Lovely couple, but hurry home please! [-o<
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

On the average, when it does rain in Tobago, how long does it usually last? Is the rain all day long or just for an hour or so out of each day.. on average.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi everyone

I live in England so I rely on Satellite views and general weather patterns which don't pick up localised showers all the time, they are best suited to detecting more organised areas of rain.

So I see the general picture.

Feedback like this helps me alot and it seems to me that Tobago, with it's deep rainforest and hilly terrain, is creating it's own local weather environment. Even relatively dry air can pick up moisture as it rises over land and, don't forget, Tobago had a lot of rain in the last wet season so the rainforest should be particularly lush.

Apologies for not getting it spot on for Tobago but I can assure everyone that the Caribbean generally is having a very 'dry' season.

Feedback on 'Liquid Sunshine Feedback' helps me alot.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Mr Jensen
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Mr Jensen »

hehehe i know what you are talking about. After i returned to Norway i even read on the forum that it had not been raining in crown point for severeal days, in the same time periode it was raining like ...... but what can you do exept enjoing both rain and sun. The locals says that it have been said in the news that its going to be a wet dry season. (ref head waiter at shirvan watermills). The locals are happy for that but the tourists are off course not.
SandraK
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by SandraK »

All the local people we know have noticed a change in the weather systems over the last few years. Some put it down to climate change others say it is a natural cycle . Fact remains the dry season can be wet and vice versa.
We were last there in late November 2010 , rained for 7days non stop much to the delight of residents as water was becoming a real problem for many. Bush fires were a daily occurence before the rain added to which the wind was stronger than usual for the time of year, exacerbating the problem.
Should add it was the first time we had experienced this kind of weather over our holidays there. Usually it rains , stops, sun within a very short space of time !
Sharon Keeler
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Sharon Keeler »

Arrived on Friday for 14 glorious days. Weather is cloudier and cooler than normal, though only one heavy down pour yesterday morning. Today, mostly cloudy. We've been coming to Tobago for 10 years and it used to be very dry this time of year, but as of late more clouds. Not a bad thing with the strong sun. It's the cool temps that are most noticeable to me. Again, not a bad thing.
GervaisAlkins

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Hey Paul, I hope you did'nt think my post was an affront to you. I do enjoy all of Mytobago's web offerings including your posts.
P.S. It did'nt rain where I live today :)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hey Gervais

No problems ... I appreciate the feedback ... it looks like your roof will have to wait a while as there is a trough of more organised rain to the east of Tobago moving in ...

Regards
Paul Tallet
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Gervais,
Don't get too excited about a rain free day. We're staying up near Studley Park and it rained about half hour ago and looking like it's headed your way and more may be coming. But who knows, Tobago of the micro climates.

Steve,
Glad to hear I was not the cause of the rain; my husband claimed it was fine until I arrived two weeks ago. Maybe the nice couple would like to go home soon!@#
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

The weather pattern is quite inconsistant this year but i appreciate it much more
compared to the drought in 2010 which lead to severe water supply problems and
weeks of constant bush fires.
Northern Trinidad had some rain on Saturday, whereas the sea area where i went fishing,
several miles north of Maracas Bay, was sunny and free of rainfall. Conditions were similar
on Sunday.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Andy,

Catch anything? 8)
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Yeah boy, weather conditions were absolutely perfect for fishing on weekend.

In all we caught 4 Wahoo, 3 Mahi Mahi, 2 Blackfin Tuna, 1 King Fish and 1 Sailfish (released).

Prize giving function is tonight... let's see where we will end up with our 4 Wahoos on the scale.
The Sailfish, unfortunately, does not count in this tournament. But Anglers always feel proud when we catch a billfish. :D
Josefa Patience
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Josefa Patience »

farmers love it, the weather I mean. Rain, rain and rain again...

My goats hate it. Running in, running out.
How we gonna get some milk when they have not the time to find something to eat.

Everybody like the cheese and the yogurt, I making from it.

Josi
RosyV
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by RosyV »

Hi, Well we've been here for a week now (arrived last wednesday) and it has rained daily. Heavy rain and showers, you name it.. We have had a few hours of sunshine and time on the beach or round the pool but otherwise its been a drive around the island in cloud and intermittent showers or sitting under shelter with a book. Realise that the rain is good for the island etc etc but it certainly isn't for us tourists trying to escape the British winter! We are still loving Tobago and relaxing but honestly, we just want the rain to stop and a return to the weather we experienced last year e.g. wall to wall sunshine! It is unfortunate really, what with the reduction in tourists due to warnings of crime (totally exaggerated in our view) and the general world recession the last thing this island needs is rain rain rain during the "dry season"! The locals offering boat trips and tours and the outdoor restaurants etc are all suffering as a result :(
On a positive note... Kariwak Village is a wonderful place to stay and the Tobogonians are the friendliest loveliest people ever. We still love it here! :D
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Unfortunately the rain will be around for a few more days as high moisture levels affect most of the southern Caribbean this week.

It is slow moving and there are some heavy patches of rain here and there and shows itself as a very large area of cloudiness on the satloops.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

Im starting to wonder if the "rainy" season will be dry, or drier because of this. Hmm. I'll let you know when Im there in June!

Return to “Weather”