snorkeling conditions in December

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Ali
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

snorkeling conditions in December

Post by Ali »

Good Day folks,

I would like to find out from the ever so informative people here at MyTobago about the sea conditions in December. I visited Tobago in December about 2 years ago and was blown away by the gigantic waves! Beaches such as Mt Irvine which are normally calm, were used for SURFING!

I'll be in Tobago for my honeymoon this December and was looking forward to some snorkeling, especially in areas such as Mt Irvine which i know to be good spots. However, having seen those huge waves when I was there, I don't know what to expect.

If the sea conditions are bad, would all areas in tobago be affected? where can I go to snorkel safely?

Ali
GervaisAlkins

Re: snorkeling conditions in December

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Hey,
the beaches on the west coast of Tobago experience swells during the hurricane season and especially during the months between November to March. Mt Irvine Bay is not usually calm between these months. If you are heading to Tobago for December check a website called Magic Seaweed.com. a few days before you get there. It's a free surf forecast website that watermen use.
The direction of the swell that time of the your is usually North or North East meaning the entire west coast of Tobago will be rough. The only 'calm' beaches on the west would be Pigeon Point but the snorkeling ain't that great. The snorkeling on the east coast of the island is not that great but Blue Waters Bay, Speyside may be nice depending on the direction of the swell.
If there is rough sea when you are here snorkeling may not be an enjoyable/probable activity, in my opinion, unless you are a really good swimmer.Hope this helps.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Thanks for the fascinating website! Gives me wind and swell here in San Francisco as well as at Mt. Irvine.

Hugh 8)
Ali
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ali »

Thanks alot GervaisAlkins.

I'll take note of that. At least I know what to expect :)
Patricia
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Patricia »

This is entirely disappointing. :(

I was looking to experience some calm and visible waters perfect for swimming and snorkeling in late December. Is there any chance that we would be able to get some calm waters then?
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes Patricia

Pigeon Point is calm at low tide in most conditions.

The Coco reef resort has it's own man made beach which is sheltered by a breakwater so that's an option but you may need to pay.

Even if there are swells at Mount Irvine, the west side of the beach is not that bad.

As likely as there could be heavy seas it can be as unlikely ... there are calm periods all year round, even during the period from December to April when the seas are expected to be heavy ... you should get your calm moment :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Patricia
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Patricia »

Paul Tallet wrote:Yes Patricia

Pigeon Point is calm at low tide in most conditions.

The Coco reef resort has it's own man made beach which is sheltered by a breakwater so that's an option but you may need to pay.

Even if there are swells at Mount Irvine, the west side of the beach is not that bad.

As likely as there could be heavy seas it can be as unlikely ... there are calm periods all year round, even during the period from December to April when the seas are expected to be heavy ... you should get your calm moment :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul to the rescue! =D>

Thank you so much. I would hate to have to leave the cold to only expect everyhing but calm, peaceful waters. I'm counting down the days! :mrgreen:
Ali
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ali »

Thanks for the responses guys.

I was just being hopeful......I remember trying to snorkel at Pigeon Point about 2 years ago in November/December. Even there the water was choppy and visibility poor.

However, no harm in carrying snorkelling gear just in case conditions are favourable. I'll be carrying mine.
Simon Partridge
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Simon Partridge »

Well so far Tobago has escaped the winds & rain Paul suggested we might get from the tropical storm now affecting Mexico & others. Beautifully clear skies, very warm with a pleasant breeze.
Water conditions are varying from day to day, from still calm to fair swell. We have had some good visibilty for snorkelling although over the last couple of days we have seen large amounts of seaweed being blown ashore on the Caribbean coast. Apparently dead seaweed from the Sargasso sea!?
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Hey Simon,

Here's a link to an article about the seaweed:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-T ... d/?a=carib

More from the same source about the old Hilton:
http://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-T ... t/?a=carib

Enjoy, Hugh 8)
Simon Partridge
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Hugh thanks for links. Weed seems to have dispersed leaving the usual wonderful turquoise Caribbean. Had heard from one or two people that the Hilton was reopening. I do very much hope it is a success, it could be just what the Tobago tourism industry needs!
We are going to take a wander down sometime to see what is going on & will report back anything of interest.
Today Thursday is a beautiful day very warm but great breeze.
When are you next here?
Simon Partridge
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Friday arrived having had some heavy rain overnight. Sun shining but not for long, on off heavy bursts of rain early morning. Then from mid morning to 5pm heavy rain almost non stop, never seen as heavy for so long. Complete white out, from where we are we couldn't see the opposite hills let alone Buccoo Reef. Arnos Vale quickly turned completely brown from the hill wash.
Everything now feels fresh & looking like a pretty good evening. Another day tomorrow!!
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Thanks for the updates Simon.

Xmas in Arizona so maybe not until June. But this is my last year with a clock to punch!!! =D> After that anything goes!

Hugh 8)

Return to “Weather”