Weather report 2012

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Weather report 2012

Post by Richardus »

I hear it has been particularly rainy lately down there. How does it look over the next two weeks?
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Weather report 2012

Post by Ronald »

It has been two days of heavy rain here, and several areas in Tobago are affected, both houses and roads. Right now it look much better and I haven´t heard anything about more heavy rain around here. Did read in the paper that we got some 143 mm during January, and I believe Feb were wetter.

But this is not a normally dry season, it´s a La Nina weather system which give much more rain than normally.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Richard

I can confirm everything Ronald says. Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday were a total washout. You can't believe how much rain comes down in a tropical rainstorm. There was some quite severe flooding in the Crown Point area because the drains just couldn't clear it as fast as it was coming down.

We're into our fourth week now and they've been the only two days where we've kept indoors. There's been lots of rain overnight and in the early hours of the morning, and a few 10-minutes showers on many days, but nothing that has stopped us doing things or getting a tan.

The weather now? Well, the photo below was taken from my balcony within the past hour.
Attachments
IMG_6330.jpg
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Beautiful photo! Castara?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks, Hugh. No - Grafton Beach in Stonehaven Bay. Here's another from the same set:
Attachments
IMG_6395.jpg
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Aha! Lovely setting and color!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Well, the weather was fine while I was there :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Ninas
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ninas »

Oh wow Steve, beautiful photos! And yes, the sky was crying it´s eyes out on Wednesday because we were leaving Tobago ;)
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

Thanks for the update. Got my fingers crossed for next week, I'd really like to do some serious snorkeling in Castara and we've booked a trip to little tobago too!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Oh Richardus !

You shouldn't do 'serious' Snorkelling in Castara ... relax and have fun :mrgreen:

If you swim out to the end of the headland you will get the best bits ... there is also a nice stack that you can see from the beach at low tide just in from the end of the headland ... then say hello to the rays on the way back.

Hint ... there is a strong current against you on the way back ... so watch the sea fans, when they point towards the beach you flip ... when they point away from the beach you flap ... I think it's called 'going with the flow'.

Smile, relax and enjoy :)

Regards
Paul Tallet
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

I shall have to practice and learn the difference between "flipping" and "flapping" and Hopefully the rays will leave me alone if I leave them alone! It's funny how people impression of the Manta ray has changed. They used to be regarded as gentle creatures that you could play with in the shallows and would take you for a ride. After Steve Irwin it all changed and now they are regarded as a potentially deadly creature.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Erm ... Steve Irwin had a habit of interfering with animals and put himself in dangerous situations so it was inevitable that he would have an unfortunate accident.

The Sting Rays in Castara are very peaceful animals and many do not realise that these creatures are swimming around their feet in the shallows. Lovely things to watch ... of course, Steve Irwin would have other ideas.

Regards
Paul Tallet
AnnetteChadrine
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by AnnetteChadrine »

Hello Richard,
I know it's a bit early to inquire, but which anchorages are best around the 20-21st March...preferably calm, not rolly, etc. I have a yacht arriving wishing to anchor out for a couple days. It's 140 feet in length.
Thank you,
Annette Chadrine
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Annette,

we don't see huge yachts like yours very often in Tobago :)
Being a "boater" myself, i can tell you that in mid March there is mainly north-easterly wind, sometimes up to
30 knots, which makes most of the anchorages in Tobago "rolly".
The only fairly calm anchorage whith access to a village is Pirates Bay in Charlotteville.
Scarborough itself is not suitable for a yacht your size, Store Bay tends to be rolly this time of the year and
everywhere else is quite isolated.

Please also be aware that even after clearing in at Charlotteville or Scarborough, you will have to announce you movements by reporting to the harbour master, who is located in the Customs office.
For instance, if you are checked in Scarborough and you want to go to Charlotteville, you have to notify the harbour
master in Scarborough before departure AND the one in Charlotteville upon arrival.
The same applies to trips between Tobago and Trinidad.
Failure to do so is often charged with a fine of TT$ 4,000.-

You may contact John Stickland of Store Bay Marine Services for further advice.

http://www.sbms.co.tt/

Cheers,

Andy
AnnetteChadrine
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by AnnetteChadrine »

Hello Andy,

Thank you very much for your reply to my query.

I know the procedure well for Customs once the boat moves from either Charlottesville or Scarborough to other areas of the Island.

I have already been in touch with John Stickland on a couple of occasions.

The My Tobago website is wonderful, well done and very informative. I have been recommending it to my clients.

I will definitely be in touch with you in the future.

Kind Regards,
Annette
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

You're welcome, Annette.

- commecial on :)
If you have any electronics or electrical issues on your boat, feel free to contact me.
[email protected]
- commercial off

Cheers,

Andy
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

Just to update weather this week, we have been fairly lucky on our tours. Most of the rain has been coming in the evening and overnight and it has been reasonably clear and warm for our outings duringthe day. It is a shame I missed the illustrious Steve Wooler as a neighbor by only a week or so!

Snorkeling conditions were crystal clear on wednesday where I managed to get some fantastic underwater pics and movies including a stingray swimming under me.

Last night there were heavy rains but it is crystal clear and calm this morning. Waves have been farely big inshore but still swimmable even to a novice but not for small children or beginners.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hi,

I've just checked the weather forecast for next week and it seems to be rainy in Tobago, how bad is the situation? I live in neighboring Venezuela, and it's been cloudy/rainy this week.

I'm leaving for Tobago next weekend, what's the weather like at the beginning of April?

Thanks,

Daniel
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Daniel

I am afraid it will continue to be wet in Tobago from time to time while low pressure stays over Venezuela.

I will post on Liquid Sunshine tomorrow.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “Weather”