Guest Report

Friendly and hospitable studio apartment at Castara (listing)
Udo Hochreuter

Guest Report

Post by Udo Hochreuter »

I stayed 4 weeks (13.January-10.February) at Porridge's Place and it was a wonderful time. Porridge pick me up on the airport and drove me to a cashpoint (for the first money) and a supermarket. As a german guy I bought the most important things, a crate of carib (good beer!), coffee and other odds ans ends. During the drive do Castara you get the first impression, how wonderful this little island is, the vegetation is phantastic, green and more green, wherever you look...

At Porridge's Place you have everything you need: a nice little patio with desk, 2 chairs, a hammock, birdfeeders (very good to make close-up views to all the different birds and bats) and a good roof that protect you against the wonderful, but strong sun. AND you have the possibility to use the great garden of the Lopez family. With a little luck you can see a agouti, too. And of course geckos, lizards and so on, if you are quiet and look a little...

Inside the room was EVERYTHING I need (o.k., I didn't need everything, but it was there): a gas cooker with 4 flames, microwave, toaster, kettle, big fridge and freezer combination, for coffee a machine and a frenchpress, lots of cups, tumblers, plates, pots, any type of cutlery you need for eating and cooking and so on. Okay, the most time I went to a restaurant for eating, but if you want to cook by yourself, there is everything in the kitchen you need. The bed is big enough for a couple, with mosquito net and you have an air con and a ventilator. I liked to sleep without these 3 things, so the mosquitos bite me a little... Next time I'll take some biological repellent with me (-:
There is a shower with hot and cold water, a toilet (unlike some other visitor I don't think, it is too high... my legs are not the longest, but it was o.k.), basin, mirrors, enough space for my clothes (and I took EVERYTHING out of my suitcase...), a player for CD and radio and a safe, big enough for money, documents and so on. AND: everything was intact and works !

The members of the Lopez family are great hosts, EVERY time friendly and helpfully, in every thing or question. If you have a wish, Derrick and Jeanelle make it possible: island tours, boat and rainforest trips, they answered every question about land & people and more. And it's true: you feel like a member of the family.

Okay, you have a little walk down the hill to come to the beach, but I liked it. You meet different people of Castara on your way, can talk to them or only say hello, hear or read some news on your way and on the way there are some shops. Castara is a little village, and not every shop has any day everything. But on the way back home I found nearly every day the things I want (and more...).

Castara has some other nice places to stay, surely. But after this 4 weeks (and a little look to other accomodations) I must say, Porridge's Place was the best decision and I don't regret it, not one single minute.

Thank you Lopez family, you 4 are wonderful, confidential and friendly people and one is for sure: I'll come back to Castara, as soon as possible. And I'll book Porridge's Place again, missed it the first minute of leaving. And hey, Jeanelle: you are a fantastic cook, wonderful...

Return to “Porridge's Place”