Guest Report

Friendly and hospitable studio apartment at Castara (listing)
Maria and John

Guest Report

Post by Maria and John »

We love Tobago and have returned 5 times. Castara is such laid back village where you can walk down the road and people say hello to you. You can go round the world and stay in fancy hotels but come away with no feeling of being away. I guess that's the best contrast I can say staying at Porridge's place. You get to meet real people just how they are. Porridge and Jeanell make you feel so welcome and will help you with any trips you want to organize or simply leave you to relax. One of my favourite memories was being invited to a family day for their daughters birthday. We all hopped in the van singing songs all the way to pigeon point. Jeanell is an amazing cook and I filled my belly!!! (rabbit stew, mango, chicken, fish and Roti).

The apartment is immaculate and has a good range of kitchen utensils, large fridge for crates of beer, microwave, pots, pans etc. There is aircon and a fan which is great to keep the bites away. There is an outside garden which they are happy for you to use and a porch to sit outside and watch life go by. I used to watch the parrots fly across each evening sipping a rum and coke. You can usually hear some great local tunes playing from someones house

Some trips you can organise:

Boat trip (a must) run by Porridges son Shaq and colleague Seon
Great snorkelling stops with Picnic on the beach (cooking by Jeanell and rum punch). The boat runs trips for Castara retreats on Sunarise so a chance to meet other visitors. You can also book the boat on an hourly basis if you want your own trip.

Island tour
Jeanell took us to the Argyle falls, Cocoa Plantation and luvely drive through Speyside. We stopped and had a Roti on a quiet beach (dont' forget the pepper sauce). She is a perfect host and has a good knowledge of the island and birds. Watch out if you go out for walk with her as you may be chased by a local donkey he haw!!

Castara beach is perfect for me as I luv to swim and snorkel. You can swim across from Big bay to little bay. At little bay there is a reef where you can see a nice range of fish. The sting rays sometimes join you on a swim. If you are like my partner you can chill by the beach with a Stag (the local beer or mans beer). You can hire chairs at either end of the bay for 25 to 30tt. There are several small local bars where you can stop and chat.

Porridges Place is about a 10min walk down to the beach, bars and restaurants. Some restaurants don't have a licence so you bring your own drink. Chenos great for breakfast (saltfish and bake) Margarites, D Almond Tree are my favourites but if you looking for a great view and some cocktails pop up to Castara Retreats (check out the pasta and steak). Porridge and Jeanell look after the apartments there too and you can always get a lift. On Wednesday nights the Beach Bar on little Bay has a drumming night.

On the way back the walk up the hill is longer (about 15mins) but we enjoy it. And there is a ice cream parlour on the way back for homemade ice cream try rum and raisin or pistachio. There is a couple of little bars on the way up for a boost up the hill, Shirmas with great music and Robinsons for a nice quiet stop.

I must stop writing as I will end up writing a novel

BOOK IT YOU WONT REGRET IT, I say with a tear in my eye.

Miss you all and already planning the next trip

Maria and John

Return to “Porridge's Place”