Guest Report

Friendly and hospitable studio apartment at Castara (listing)
Manuel Brieske

Guest Report

Post by Manuel Brieske »

I stayed at Porridge’s Place for 6 days in June 2008. My wife and I had met Porridge and Jeanell at Easter while visiting Castara. When we heard about Porridge’s Place we decided that during our next visit to Castara we would stay there. This next visit came earlier than expected when I decided last minute to spend a relaxed week in Tobago. Although I wanted to go diving in Speyside, nothing beats the relaxed atmosphere of Castara and Speyside is only an hour’s scenic drive through the rain forest.

Booking the apartment was very easy and straightforward. My internet booking was confirmed immediately by Jeanell. I also arranged my transfer from Crown Point to Castara with Porridge. He has this amazing talent to make you feel relaxed and at ease from the moment you meet him, and I can strongly recommend using his transfer service.

The open plan apartment itself is very clean and well appointed. It has a well equipped kitchen, a spacious bedroom with a very comfortable queen sized bed and en-suite facilities. Although the apartment has air-conditioning I did not need it as the natural breeze coming in from the Caribbean cools the place to a comfortable temperature. There is also a covered outside terrace with great views towards the sea. I spent many hours there reading, enjoying the views and watching the humming birds fly by.

Porridge’s Place is on a hill about 1 km from the main beach in Castara. Walking to the beach takes about 20 minutes down a hill quite steep in places. But I never walked the entire distance as there is always someone who would offer a ride. You can also rent a reliable and reasonably priced car through Porridge. Tobago is a relatively small island that can easily be explored by car in a day.

In summary, Porridge’s Place is probably the best value for money apartment you can find in Castara. The hospitality of Jeanell and Porridge will make you feel at home the minute you arrive and will give you the rare opportunity to get to know the people and life in Castara.

I can highly recommend Porridge’s Place and will certainly return.

Return to “Porridge's Place”