Booking Procedure

Friendly and hospitable studio apartment at Castara (listing)
GraceV
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Booking Procedure

Post by GraceV »

What is the procedure for booking? Were you requested to send a deposit via Western Union?

Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Booking Procedure

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Grace

Welcome aboard! :)

You would need to contact the property concerned to establish the booking procedure. You can contact Porridge's Place via our site at http://www.mytobago.info/accommodation2g.php?P=106 or via their own site at http://www.porridgesplace.com/

I'm not sure what method of payment they prefer for deposits and balance. However, the banking system in Trinidad & Tobago is a relic from the last century and due to weird restrictions by their central bank, none of the payment services can effect payment to T&T bank accounts. So, you can't make online credit card payments to T&T bank accounts. Getting a credit card merchant account is virtually impossible for small businesses over there anyway.

The net result of this is that Western Union is pretty much the only way to get payment to all but the largest hotels on Tobago, who invariably have overseas bank accounts and get round the problem that way. Don't worry - you are perfectly safe. We would be the first to warn visitors against dealing with any business who played games with deposits or other payments. Fear not!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
GraceV
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by GraceV »

Thank you, Steve! Very helpful reply.

I'm an American (I know, that explains a lot! :lol: ) and it's not our custom to send deposits via Western Union, so I just wanted to double check. I was more concerned with making sure the email was from the actual establishment and not an email hacker (I watch too many American news programs!) and their official website confirmed that.

I had already sent the money before I read your response, after confirming their email address. Once I was sure it was from them, I felt no fear.

I've read tons of reviews on various sites from past guests and learned of Jeanell and Porridge's remarkable reputation. Everyone loves them! I am so excited to meet them :)

For future American guests wondering, it is a common practice to send the deposit ahead of time to stay at Porridge's Place.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Grace

Yes, very common - this is certainly not a policy/issue associated with Porridge's Place (who are 100% trustworthy). It similarly affects almost every other small business on Tobago - it's pretty much the only way for them to get payment.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
GraceV
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by GraceV »

thanks, Steve! I felt embarrassed by my ignorance in the situation, but luckily Porridge and Jeanell didn't hold it against me! :lol:

To say Porridge and Jeanell are 100% trustworthy feels like the understatement of the year!! I have never met such gracious and kind people in my life!

Return to “Porridge's Place”