Hummigbird Hotel, Store Bay, Tobago

8 room hotel in south Bon Accord (listing)
Glyn Jones

Hummigbird Hotel, Store Bay, Tobago

Post by Glyn Jones »

We have just returned from staying at the Hummingbird (14 to 21 October 2004). This hotel certainly live up to their motto 'Arrive as strangers, leave as friends'.
My wife and I booked our stay at the Hummingbird on the strength of this motto, the reviews on we had read and the impression made from the moment we started dealing with them.
I can categorically say we were not disappointed. They are a friendly and helpful family. It may seem trite, but it is certainly true. They are not 'in your face' if you want to join in, you can, if you want time on your own, you've got it. The food and service are very good - don't go here if you worry about putting on an extra pound or two. Shane's roast beef and Yorkshire puddings are excellent and, rightfully, gaining a huge reputation AND to top it all, the price of the beer is the cheapest on the island.
If you want to go somewhere - it can be arranged for you. If you want to go to one of the near by beaches, just ask for a lift and as soon as they can they take you there and arrange a time to pick you up if you want. Well, I could go on but the rest, I suggest, you find out for yourself. Glyn and Jo Jones, UK.
Mark Hall

Sunday Dinner

Post by Mark Hall »

Well Glynn, We were in tobago the same time as you & heard the reptutation the Hummingbird has for its Sunday dinners.

We tried to get a table but to no avail, maybe next time for us.

Was it really that good ?

Mark
Derek Gould

Hummingbird Hotel - Things to do and see in the area

Post by Derek Gould »

We will be travelling to Tobago mid-November, along with another couple, and are booked to stay at the Hummingbird Hotel. We are all 40-ish, reasonably active, and are experienced and somewhat resilient travellers.

Any suggestions about the hotel, what to do or what to avoid?

As well, any Tobago-experienced travellers care to offer some suggestions for things to do and see in the area? We've talked about taking the trip to Buccoo Reef (perhaps with Frankie's Tours), as well as deep-sea fishing. Other than we plan to do lots of beach and snorkeling, and hopefully have some good meals and more than a few rum punches.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/hints/advice.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Derek

Welcome aboard!

You might be encouraged by Glyn Jones' report, posted just last night, at http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8166

As far as things to do, I can only suggest is that you check-out our main articles and go through the forum to see what takes your fancy. Tobago is such a small island that pretty much everything is at everyone's disposal, not matter where you are staying. I am, of course, assuming that you will have a vehicle.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Sat May 27, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Derek Gould

Thanks for the response

Post by Derek Gould »

Yes, I did read Glyn's note; I had read the comments about Hummingbird on TripAdvisor, which was what convinced us to book there in the first place, but nice to get further confirmation. Actually, Hummingbird is rated #1 on TripAdvisor at the moment, but hardly a statistically sound sample.

We didn't plan to get a vehicle for the entire trip, but perhaps to rent for a day or two to do some sightseeing. Other than that we would probably walk, use the hotel shuttle or take taxis. Is this reasonable?

I find it incredibly difficult to adjust to driving on the left, and all things considered my heart can live without the strain.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

The Hummingbird is about a 10 minute walk from Store Bay and everywhere in the airport area of Crown Point is a similar distance. However, wherever you are staying in Tobago your holiday enjoyment will be more than doubled by having transport. It's only a small island but walking in the heat is taxing and obviously time consuming. Crown Point is not an attractive area in itself, so the ability to get out into the truly beautiful parts of the island - whether by car, jeep, motorcycle or taxi, will make all the difference.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Glyn Jones

Re: Sunday Dinner

Post by Glyn Jones »

Mark Hall wrote:Well Glynn, We were in tobago the same time as you & heard the reptutation the Hummingbird has for its Sunday dinners.

We tried to get a table but to no avail, maybe next time for us.

Was it really that good ?

Mark
Hi Mark,
In all fairness to Shane, the chef, it was pretty good and certainly very filling. Shame you missed out. The dining area at the hotel is only small and the Sunday we were there they had to put on two sittings! Better luck next time! Glyn.
Glyn Jones

Post by Glyn Jones »

Steve Wooler wrote:The Hummingbird is about a 10 minute walk from Store Bay and everywhere in the airport area of Crown Point is a similar distance. However, wherever you are staying in Tobago your holiday enjoyment will be more than doubled by having transport. It's only a small island but walking in the heat is taxing and obviously time consuming. Crown Point is not an attractive area in itself, so the ability to get out into the truly beautiful parts of the island - whether by car, jeep, motorcycle or taxi, will make all the difference.
Steve,
I totally agree with your assessment of Crown Point, a little close to the airport but only a problem when that darned DC 9 takes off for Trinidad. Then that is only a few times a day and there are worse places in the world.
With regard to transportation versus walking, I'm with you, transportation everytime, that's why we made the most of the drop off and pick up service the Hummingbird offers - only once could they not pick us up, so we got a taxi which hardly broke the bank.
Regards Glyn.
Glyn Jones

Re: Hummingbird Hotel - Things to do and see in the area

Post by Glyn Jones »

Derek Gould wrote:We will be travelling to Tobago mid-November, along with another couple, and are booked to stay at the Hummingbird Hotel. We are all 40-ish, reasonably active, and are experienced and somewhat resilient travellers.

Any suggestions about the hotel, what to do or what to avoid?

As well, any Tobago-experienced travellers care to offer some suggestions for things to do and see in the area? We've talked about taking the trip to Buccoo Reef (perhaps with Frankie's Tours), as well as deep-sea fishing. Other than we plan to do lots of beach and snorkeling, and hopefully have some good meals and more than a few rum punches.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/hints/advice.
Derek,
The Hummingbird is a good choice, basic hotel. You aren't going to get 5* comforts but the people who run the place more than make up for any deficiencies. As far as beaches are concerned we used Pigeon Point, although to some people this is a controversial place (see other info on Steve's site) but it has a lot of shade which, for us, was worth paying a couple of quid for as we both burn easily if we are not careful in the sun. We hired a tax for a day to take us around the island and also took a flight over to Trinidad for the day, flights were about £20 return - well worth it. Hope you enjoy your stay in Tobago it is certainly worth visiting.
Best wishes Glyn.

Return to “Hummingbird Hotel”