Guest Report

8 room Guest House in Canaan (listing)
Kaara de Freitas

Guest Report

Post by Kaara de Freitas »

The accommodations at Candles was quite simple (which is what others had reported) and for that reason I did not go expecting a 5 star resort. It is about 10 minutes walking distance from the beach and for the price it's a great deal! The room was simple yet clean. The bed was covered with a simple white sheet. There was a washer and dryer that I used free of charge and available for all guests. There is also a kitchen and dining area that was pretty decent. all in all I was most pleased with my choice. The best thing for me was the customer service. They allowed me to check in early (8am) and leave late the next day (6pm). I stayed for one night but it really felt like two days because of the early and late check out! And I did not have to pay extra. That type of customer service is just wonderful...Unlike Hummingbird Hotel where I almost stayed!

A friend booked Humming Bird Hotel on my behalf. He did not know I was planning to go with Candles instead. I asked him to find out what was Humming Bird's cancellation policy. During that conversation with the hotel owner she told him that she does not refund any money unless he gave 30 days notice. So she told him she would "see what she could do...call back Monday." He told her that he would call her "this weekend" (the weekend I was coming to T'dad) to let her know what I would do.

Upon my arrival I called her and she informed me that my room was canceled. I told her that my room was not canceled but my friend simply inquired about the cancellation policy. She simply repeated herself and asked how she can help me. I asked her if we could work something out since it was an apparent misommunication. She said no! She went on and on about how she actually lost money as a result of my accommodation since I was only staying 2 days and someone else called asking to stay for a week but she had to turn them down. The she told me that if I wanted to help her get her money back then she can help me. I cannot begin to tell you how unhelpful this lady was.

To make a long story short...my friend called her back and she admitted to him that she did indeed make a mistake in canceling the reservation. however she did not want to refund him his money. she said that she only had one of the rooms available but that was useless to me since I needed 2. But she was standing her ground about not refunding our money. I spoke to a local TV station about the situation and they "threatened" to make a report on their consumer affairs segment. When they tried to contact her she hung up the phone 5 times...I guess she eventually got tired...or scared...My money was refunded that night! Poor customer service is almost the norm for my people...So consider good customer service a premium!

Return to “Candles In The Wind”