Guest Report

8 room Guest House in Canaan (listing)
Sunir

Guest Report

Post by Sunir »

I just came back from spending 2 nights in Tobago, and I could not be happier with my choice to stay at Candles in the Wind.
The location is excellent if you want to stay in the Crown Point area. It is set aside in a really nice residential street set amongst mansions and vacation villas. The area seemed extremely safe with a neighborhood watch and 24 hour guard posted a few houses down. You are not too far from the action though, as it is a 2-3 minute walk to a bunch of restaurants, 5-10 minute walk to Store Bay, and 15-20 minute walk to Pigeon Point. I even walked here from the airport
The guesthouse was extremely comfortable. I am not comparing this to a 5 star beachfront resort, but for a VERY affordable guesthouse, I couldn't have been more pleased. Most of this was in part to the owner, Andrew, who was an excellent host. He takes a lot of pride in his place, and seems to enjoy what he does. He is very informative, helpful, hospitable, and enjoyable to talk to. He is very personable and intelligent, but at the same time he is not overbearing, and gives you plenty of space, even though he's always around and easy to find. It can be arranged for him to drive you places like Sunday School or Pigeon Point for a fee.
The rooms are basic/modest but comfortable. I stayed in #3, which had a spacious bedroom and bathroom compared to other guesthouses I stayed at in T&T (other rooms at Candles appeared smaller). There was a small TV without cable, but it had a DVD player and Andrew has a large library of DVD's you can borrow. The air conditioner was a wall unit and wasn't as strong as I would've preferred. The mattresses were not uncomfortable, but they were not luxurious either. The bathroom was fine, no complaints about hot water or water pressure.
I didn't really use the kitchen, but he has one on the second floor and one on the first floor that seemed well equipped, and clean. It's not Gordon Ramsey's kitchen, but I wouldn't have a problem cooking in them if I needed to. The rest of the house was very clean, and had a spacious open floor plan which I liked. The wifi signal in my room was excellent, but I would've been happier without the $5/day charge. But besides that, I find the owner to be reasonable, and not money hungry. I would not hesitate to stay here when I return because of Andrew's desire to maintain a quality guesthouse and to provide his guests with a wonderful experience.

Return to “Candles In The Wind”