Guest Report

3 apartments in Castara (listing)
Amy Sherman

Guest Report

Post by Amy Sherman »

I couldn't have asked for a better stay in Castara! The photos don't do this cute tree house justice at all- the Saffron is exactly as pictured and more. This was exactly the way I wanted to spend the past few days of my holiday and wish I had more time! As a woman travelling alone, one worries about safety, but I felt totally at ease here. The tree house is tucked back in the hill just off the main road, so very private. You hear a little road noise, but everyone is in bed by 10pm and it's very quiet after that. The sun rises and sets on the 6's, so be ready to live like the locals and get up with the sun, or enjoy lazy mornings relaxing in the four poster bed - the mosquito net was key! I spent a lot of time on the balcony with my morning coffee, watching the sugar birds enjoy my offerings and the evenings enjoying a home cooked fish dinner from fish caught that day! As I love to cook, I found myself right at home making my own meals in the well appointed kitchen- there was even a blender, so I made papaya daiquiris one evening. :) If you don't want to cook, there are a few places in town to eat, though during low season their hours are fewer, but there are still plenty of options. The guidebook provided was very helpful and explained in great detail things to do in the area, contact numbers, etc. They will also arrange airport or ferry transportation for you, which is a huge bonus and Joey greeted me at the airport with a smile, as did his wife Rachael who manages the property. Joey also arranged a snorkeling trip for me and Rachael was able to join us- they are lovely people and new friends! The place really is an easy walk from two beaches and I saw a stingray bigger than me at the snorkeling beach! After a day in the sun and sand, take a short walk to the 1st waterfall to rinse off. If you're feeling adventurous, take a hike through the rain forest and visit the other waterfalls- just follow the river! Joey can also take you on a hike up the waterfalls, but there are also other tour companies in the area, as well as a car rental company. There's really no need to go anywhere else! I can't wait to go back and am already planning my next trip!

Return to “Castara Cottage”