Naturalist - 2015 Update

5 apartments in Castara village (listing)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Naturalist - 2015 Update

Post by Paul Tallet »

I think most of you know this is my home from home and Ancle George, the owner, is now more a friend than a host ... so, although I will mention some trivial disadvantages, this post is a little biased.

The Naturalist hasn't changed much since I last visited around this time last year but there are subtle differences here and there where Ancle has done some touching up and repairs.

It is important to understand that the accommodations, in particular the Blue Marlin, are right on the beach and consequently exposed to all the elements ... for instance you should always take trash bin liners to seal your suitcases in as, after 2 or 3 weeks, the zips can lock up due to the humidity and sea salt in the air ... so of course, Ancle does not invest in quality fittings as he knows that most materials such as wood probably needs replacing every several years.

If you are fussy about quality/luxury I would suggest Castara Retreats.

So sometimes the accommodation can look tired, especially in the Blue Marlin and I don't care ... I love the ambience of the Blue Marlin.

The newer rooms (i.e.; shark) are more upper class and more expensive and you would expect higher rates although I have to say that the most expensive Shark Suite is good value for 6 people sharing with it's 3 ensuite bedrooms.

Service

This is an area where Ancle improves consistently every year:-

Daily room cleaning and change of bedclothes/towels
They even do your washing up
Laundry service - daily
Breakfasts
Coffee 24 hours
Ice machine - 24 hours
Organising trips
Free WiFi - plus 2 PC's
Sunbeds for the beach

Tip - if you need ice, don't use the cooler. Just full up a carrier bag so it fits in the small freezer and you could have a good supply lasting days.

Beyond the call of duty

To emphasise the service, I became very ill with food poisoning and Ancle took it upon himself to take me to the hospital, get me admitted and he stayed there until I was rehydrated and discharged and then drove to a pharmacy to get the drugs I was prescribed. He lost more than a day and cancelled other commitments.

For this, I cannot thank Ancle enough ... I owe you one Ancle.

Any Disadvantages?

The only niggle is the WiFi ... due to the distance of the Blue Marlin from the router the WiFi goes on and off but this is not likely to apply to the other rooms that are closer to the router ... I know Ancle will solve this small problem.

Overall for the Blue Marlin ... comfortable, basic accommodation with outstanding aspects over Castara Bay and an incredible ambience that stays with you after you leave.

Alternatives ... if the rooms are all full, Ancle could refer you to other guesthouses but if you want to be right by the beach, Alibaba's Sea Breeze apartments in Heavenly Bay are a very good option.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Return to “Naturalist Beach Resort”