Naturalist - 2016 Update

5 apartments in Castara village (listing)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Naturalist - 2016 Update

Post by Paul Tallet »

As most readers will know, I am one of many repeat visitors to the Naturalist Beach Resort in Castara. The owner, Ancle George has become a good friend to me over the years and so have many other repeat visitors depending on what time of year we clash.

I have seen this venue grow organically from 5 rooms to 14 rooms over the last 15 years since my first visit.

The cheapest nightly rate is US45$ (£31 as of today's currency rates) per night for the smallest rooms and, in my opinion, extremely good value to be so close to a beautiful beach.

From time to time, discounts are offered for longer stays of one week or more and each room has a hire car option for an additional cost. See the Naturalist website for more details of this.

The room prices increase according to how close you are to or how well you can see the beach from your room. The prices do not necessarily reflect the standard of accommodation. All rooms provide basic cooking facilities, a fridge/freezer and on-suite shower/toilet facilities.

All the rooms are cleaned and the bedding changed at least every other day and all guests have access to free breakfasts, 24 hour coffee, 24 hour ice and laundry services. Free Wi-fi is also available. Ancle and his staff are also there to provide advise on places to go and who to hire whether it is for scuba diving, bird watching, boat trips or rain forest trips.

I am going to talk about the Blue Marlin Suite which costs from US145$ (£100 as of today's currency rates) per night. Hire Car is extra.

Some would understandably say that the Blue Marlin accommodation is not as good as the newer Snapper, Wahoo and Shark suites. But the Blue Marlin gets you as close to the elements as you can be, just short of sleeping on the beach, but in comfort.

There are no windows, just shutters and I leave these open all night and sleep to the sound of the Caribbean Sea. The bed is draped with Mosquito nets so the beasties cannot get to you. If you open all of the shutters you will benefit from a 360 degree aspect of both the sea and the rainforest.

The kitchen provides an oven and hob, microwave, toaster/grill, fridge/freezer and all the utensils you need to self cater.

The main room comprises of a double bed, a 3 piece suite and table, an additional set of a table and 4 chairs, a spare single bed, a TV (I have never used it).

The bathroom comprises of a walk-in shower, toilet. Hot water is provided via a red switch.

Outside are 2 balconies. The main balcony is sheltered from the sun and provides an unbroken view southwards down the whole length of Castara Bay and further out to the west where you can see the shear cliffs and rainforest where it meets the sea.

Ancle has added an extension on the west side of the suite ( a second balcony) that brings you closer to the sea (or over it) and is perfect for those that wish to have more exposure to the sun. As a result, the steps up to the Blue Marlin are now on the 'inside' and this, to me, provides more security.

Ancle has also recently added external power sockets around both balconies.

Any improvements? I can only think of one that I am sure Ancle will already have on his to-do list. The steps up to the Blue Marlin could do with a gate at the top or bottom or both.

Things to do if you are bored ...

1. Set up a bird feeder with brown sugar to attract the local green and blue tanagers and bananaquits. Fruit Bats will also be attracted to this at night but be careful because the bats can be a pest (just empty the feeder before dark).
2. I set up a Hummingbird feeder on my last visit and a regular Hummingbird became attracted to this after 5 days (again bring this in before dark).
3. Counting the Sting Rays sweeping majestically across Castara Bay (there are a few big ones, they are not Manta Rays).
4. Watching the Pelicans and Boobies diving for fish (especially around sunset).
5. Watching the local fishermen pull in their seine nets.

You are in a fishing village community that lives around a beach and there are plenty of comings and goings and plenty to get involved with.

The beach is perfectly safe and is monitored by life guards and when the waters are clear there is excellent snorkeling over the coral reefs at the eastern end of the Bay.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Return to “Naturalist Beach Resort”