UK visitor?, Stranded?

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: UK visitor?, Stranded?

Post by Robert T »

A lot of panic could have been spared if you'd read my last post in the coronavirus thread. It was issued by the High Commission in Trinidad saying that no flights after the 26th of March (not the 22nd).
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

edited because this sounds adversarial which is not my intention but i dont know how to do smilies and things so that people will know i'm discussing, not getting all shouty.

oh, wait a minute.... :D

you think we didnt read it for some reason?, please enlighten us.

the Ministry for National Security (who, lets face it, have jurisdiction in this kind of thing) issued the mandate after that release. National Security trumps a foreign high commission's announcement any day of the week. The HC can release whatever info they choose but if the government here say otherwise then that info becomes null and void. The release outlined the situation at the time of publication but was obsolete within just a few hours of issue.

it has though been the intercession of that same foreign commission, the willingness of the TnT government to negotiate and, in no small part, the influence that UK airlines have here, that has led to the relaxation, not an outdated announcement by the UK governments rep down here.

there are people who, for all kinds of reasons, could not have accessed the Piarco flights anyway. I know of some of the reasons but will not divulge on a public forum. For them, the 23rd was the last flight regardless of what the HC may have thought would be the case when they issued the release. For them the 26th was non-viable.

i'm not sure that i did see any panic if im honest. every visitor (approx 20) that i have been speaking with, messaging , visiting etc seemed quite stoical to me. these threads were about pooling up to date info and developments, not weeping and wailing but apologies if it seemed otherwise

On a practical note - i assume you have secured seats on the airbridge ? the standby list was over 3 pages long following the announcement -truly wish good luck to anyone trying to depart via Piarco but originating on tobago
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

its all about not posting anything that comes from unreliabe 'sure' sources that makes people panic in any ways. You said in your first post that you were ''sure'' that there would not be flights after the 22nd and people would be stranded and even BA and Virgin didnt know about that... Wondered how you would know it better than them????? Anyways it turned out you werent that ''sure'' after all as there are flights after the 22nd as the previous announcement from the High Commission stated..I came back on the 18th as originally scheduled but my last two days were pretty much ruined by these type of 'sure' sources that said my flight was cancelled, you are gonna be stranded on the island for 2/4/8 weeks , 3 months etc... The moral of the story is that no info should be posted from these 'sure' sources but info only given by official sources like the TnT Government or the High Commission in Trinidad...A lot of people read this forum so no need to make them panic in any ways..I bet you that not a single foreign soul with the intention of returning will be left on the island stranded..

As for the ''Im not sure if I did see any panic if im honest''... I met a Norwegian couple that cut their vacation 3 weeks short and changed their flights from Ba to Virgin for a mere 5800£ for two economy seats on the 18th.. Plus while waiting for the check in I met about 25 people desperately trying to get on my flight with no success and believe me none left the airport smiling, dancing and whistling..148 people boarded the flight in Tobago ... I guess it says it all
Last edited by Robert T on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

because i spoke to both and (i do have the details of with whom should you disbelieve) and this is exactly what they told me . was on speakerphone with 2 or 3 others here listening in so we got what, was the time, accurate info. just as you did.

i, as you, posted what was known at the time. I however, kept updating and acknowledged from the start that the situation was highly fluid and liable to change

you were clearly in a better position than the rest of us who had to deal with what we were told, by official sources, as we were told it ? not sure where you got the 2/4/8 weeks from - not on here that i can find. you speak of the last 2 days of your holiday being ruined - are you off island then ? so not here and party to exactly what we are ?

another point you raise - official sources ? we posted what the TnT government announced - by your own definition above, a "sure" source.

actually - i know of 2 who will be stranded 3 if you count the toddler. they're ok to wait it out but, trust me on this, they wanted out
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

actually, i'm quitting this now. i didnt realise you weren't here and merely a vicarious commentator.

i've just seen your edit about panic pre the announcement on the 21st and your observations are there and fair enough - i'm referring what i've seen and heard since the Ministry made that first announcement.

final thoughts though - isnt it all a bit pots and kettles ? you posted someting which very quickly turned out be duff.you defend your post and hold it to have been what we should be heeding. i and others also posted duff info, from local sources (rta the TnT government - safe by your definition of these things). we updated as we learned more so maybe we put that right a little and, accordingly, defend our postings also.

i really cant comprehend why your last two days were ruined given your departure date? none of this broke until after you were gone ? it also bothers me a little that this is something you complain about publicly given the situation that some of our visitors have been in since you'd hopped it.

Steve - is this thread now unnecessary ?
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

thats why they were ruined... you are on the island and you didnt hear about that then? Really surprised you missed it as you often seem to know everything about everything that's going on around the island........... Officially the borders were closed on the 17th and I left on the 18th..it was all over the news.. nobody was sure if the flight was allowed to come in on the 18th to take people home..Virgin ignored all calls and emails sent from Tobago..But the rumours about being stranded started around the 15th when it was announced..
https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/trini ... t-14-days/
https://wired868.com/2020/03/16/trinida ... shut-down/
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

I appreciate how stressful things are can only suggest that we try to calm down. The fact is that Paul has done a sterling job of compiling and reporting accurate confirmed airline information during this crisis and I, for one, cannot fault any of it. Nothing reported here has been based on idle rumour and wherever possible, we have referred readers to the official sources where such information can be confirmed.

One of the problems here is that the situation is/was changing by the minute. Despite my wide contacts, I was still finding it hugely difficult to get confirmed information from reliable sources - not helped by the fact that we are staying in a remote villa with dial-up speed Internet. However, I repeat my thanks to Phil for summarising and reporting information about flights to/from Tobago and thank him for doing so responsibly and ACCURATELY.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Well we finally came home!
The FCO in Port of Spain organised repatriation flights from Barbados and Antigua ‘collecting’ those wanting , or needing, to get home from across the region. Quite a logistical exercise!
LIAT to Barbados then a BA flight to Heathrow. A long day. Tim Stewart and his team were present in Tobago , organising the check in and really helping the departure as smooth as possible. 3 hour wait in Barbados as feeder flights brought in more people from right across the region!
A very full flight!
As we sat in Barbados I received notice that our flight home July 3rd was cancelled! So I guess we had made the right decision to get home.
The Tobago Gov. have been in control of the situation and only easing restrictions after careful deliberation. Regular live updates on TV which could be viewed live and recorded with explanations of how things were progressing and answering questions from media and callers.
Opening the Borders WILL be the last phase!
I have to say I felt safer and more at ease in Castara than I do here in Surrey!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Welcome home Chris and Yvonne

Glad to hear that it all went well. While life in Tobago was undoubtedly 'safer' from the virus that the chaos that is the UK's embarrassing and grossly incompetent handling of the pandemic, it must be a relief to at least know that you're home and can catch up on all the things that you undoubtedly have had to ignore while locked down over there. I'm normally the biggest critic going to the T&T government and anyone/everyone in an 'official' capacity in the islands, but credit where credit is due, they have handled this situation well. =D> =D> =D>

Let us just hope that flights can resume in the not too distant future.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”