Overnight stay at Gatwick

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
John Fox

Overnight stay at Gatwick

Post by John Fox »

I know a lot of Brits stay overnight in hotels before flying out to Tobago and leaving their car there for the duration. Having had some miserable hotels in the past I would like to pass on the little gem I have found.
Trumbles B&B is excellent in every aspect and is situated in Charlwood just minutes from the airport.
For confirmation as to how good this place is have a look at TripAdvisor and read the glowing reports.
Anthony Townsend

Post by Anthony Townsend »

Hi!

We've just come back on Sunday. Had an amazing time!! :D More to come when i get the time.

We stayed at Acorn Lodge. http://www.acornlodgegatwick.co.uk It's small and basic, but excellent value and good service. The great thing is that they take you to and from the airport (little waiting) and the parking can be extended. You won't believe how much cheaper it is!! It's a well kept secret and I'd advise to book early.

Have a great time!

Anthony.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

And if someone need an ever cheaper place for one night, check the Corner House Hotel at 72 Massetts Road. They also have a pick-up-service to-from Gatwick.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Ronald,I agree I always use the Corner House
David
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Ronald and David

We are looking for overnight accom' and 15 days parking in three weeks time. Do you have contact details for the corner house please.

Many thanks
Steve
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Steve

The address is:

Corner House Hotel
72 Massetts Road
Horley SUR RH6 7ED

Phone: +44-(0)1293-78 45 74
Fax: +44-(0)1293-78 46 20
E-mail: [email protected]

http://search.hotelspeedy.com/hotel_inf ... ouse-Hotel

I´ve been using this place twice, and it´s OK for me, prizes last year were: Single 36-42£ and Double 55-63£.

It´s more friendly there compared with bigger hotels right outside Gatwick. Their pick-up service is also free, once I´d stay by a hotel outside Gatwick and I had to pay for the transfer via a bus!

It´s really a "corner house" divided into two houses. The main building has better rooms, the restaurant and the bar, the other house is more like guest house standard, some rooms has chared bath.

They have a small parking, but I don´t know if you are allowed to leave the car there. I find the people friendly, I use to phone to make a reservation, they take the half amount via the card and I pay the rest when leaving. They confirm my reservation via email.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Ronald

Many thanks for the very swift and detailed reply.

I guess it will all depend on whether we can leave the car with them.

Although I dislike the large hotels by the airport, they do a good car parking rate all-in and it's convenient.

Thanks again
Steve
Mary Black
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

gatwick overnight

Post by Mary Black »

hi steve
can I suggest-glenalmondguesthouse.co.uk freinds of mine stayed there last year when our guest house was fully booked and it was much nicer than the one we stayed in so we've booked to stay there in july en-route to tobago. I've just checked and they do parking and airport transfer.It's also on Massets Road so very handy for the airport
Hope you have a great time and catch loads of fish
mary (77 days to go)
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Hi

I've just spent all afternoon trying to find the best deals on 'hotel & parking' packages.

As we're flying from the North Terminal this time, we've decided to stay at the Sofitel (used to be called Le Meridien) purely for the convenience & leisurely walk to check in. I've looked on just about every website that you can imagine - comparing prices and Thanks Ronald :D - http://www.hotelspeedy.com is the cheapest, although they don't have a hotel & parking package at this hotel. It is cheaper to buy the parking seperately than buy a package on another website.

(Stangely if you search on the http://www.hotelspeedy.com website for Gatwick hotels - Sofitel isn't listed, but if you use Ronald's link and click on 'nearby hotels' there is a large list to choose from).

Jill
Caron Pople

Overnight Stay at Gatwick

Post by Caron Pople »

We also stayed at the Acorn Lodge (remember us Anthony, we shared the transport to the airport and met again at Sunday School). We found the hotel to be excellent value and the staff extremely accommodating. We certainly would not hesitate to use them again. In fact. we booked to stay another night after our return flight (we live quite a distance from Gatwick and like to get some sleep before driving home) and a room was ready for us after being picked up from the airport and returning to the hotel at 10.30 a.m.
John Fox

Post by John Fox »

Hi Steve, with all the other recommendations do have a look at Trumbles - they have a web site. The cost for a large double room for us was £70 plus £2 per day for car parking. Transport to and from the airport was included. Our wait to be picked up on our return was all of 3 minutes !!

The trouble with the hotels we have found in the past has been the transport to and from the airport has been on a timetable - and you can bet when you get to the pick up point you find the bus left 2 minutes beforehand !

Certainly the one place to avoid is Russ Hill Hotel.

The best way I have found to decide on places to stay is to go into Trip Advisor and search for Hotels and for B & B/guest houses. Trawl through users comments gets you a pretty accurate picture of what to expect.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

John Fox wrote: The best way I have found to decide on places to stay is to go into Trip Advisor and search for Hotels and for B & B/guest houses. Trawl through users comments gets you a pretty accurate picture of what to expect.
Or just post a question here :D

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.
We really are spoiled for choice now.

Cheers
Steve
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Gatwick overnight

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Hello everybody. while I agree that trumbles is an excellent choice I still would suggest trat Steve took a look at Alexander house, especially if You fly out on a monday. Terrific sunday night deals in an environment to die for!
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Mnay thanks for the advice Stefan.

We depart early Thursday morning - three weeks yesterday, so I'd better get cracking and book somewhere soon!

Regards
Steve
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

I've just booked Acorn Lodge for an over night in June plus up to 15 nights parking for 2 of us for £99. The parking is secure including cameras and a patrol, and the rate also includes breakfast (continental from 6.00am, English from 7.00am). Airport transfers run 24 hours.

It certainly looked a good deal to me - especially since several people actually recommend the place, rather than merely tolerating it!

Jane
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

stayed two times at "gatwick white house" thought it was cheap compared to the hotels they sell on the desk (missed my flight, could not book in advance).
don't go there... it is a whole and costs 50 pounds... will definately check you suggestions next time!

STEPH
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Well, we are back and thought I'd mention that we stayed overnight at Acorn House.

Jane - I think you'll like it and I agree with Caron and Anthony.
Small, reasonably priced bar / restaurant on site, with well equiped rooms and I was especially impressed with the early morning drop-off and pick-up service.

We arrived back at 03:00, after a 21 hour delay and after collecting bags etc. rang the free-phone number for the complentary mini-bus (not expecting a reply, or at best to be told that the service doesn't start until 04:00)

''Welcome back'' the cheery voice on the other end of the phone said. ''I will be with you in 7 minutes'' and he was too!!!

A flat battery on our car awaited us and this was dealt with very swiftly by our driver....he even refused a tip, which we had to force upon him quite vigorously and then we were on our way.

We will certainly use Acorn House again. Highly recommended for those who dislike large hotels and appreciate good service.

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

I've been meaning to post my thanks to everyone who suggested Acorn Lodge as an overnight + parking option.

Although our room was compact (ie very small!) it was clean and comfortable. The meal we had in the restaurant was good for both quality and value - and the parking and airport transfers worked really well. After one stay you can get a "membership number" which entitles you to discount on subsequent visits.

I can certainly recommend Acorn Lodge - and we will definitely use them again.

Jane
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Gatwick acco

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

We have just returned on the BA 2157 from the Caribbean and we stayed over in Stanhill court for our Gatwick night. We must say that the price we got for a taxi from Gatwick to the hotel and back, a bottle of very good non-vintage champagne, afternoon tea for two (6 prawn sandwiches, scones, chocolate cakes x 4 and, yes, tea), a three course dinner, full english break-o and an overnight in a deluxe four poster bed suite was just fabulous at approx 100 pounds per person!
In theory: Bottle of champers: GBP 30
tea with sandwiches x 2: GBP 20
Three-course dinner x 2: GBP 40
TAXI x 2: GBP 20
Full english break-o: GBP 20
So boarding in an excellent milieu: GBP 70! For 2 people!!!
I can only recommend travellers to watch for specials from Stanhill court and Alexander house if You like to be treated as welcomed house guests in fantastic surroundings at boarding house prices. If You intend to eat and drink the cost will be very little over staying in an ordinary B and B and going out to splurge. For us, we also look fwd to surprise each other with heavenly comforts and splendid meals instead of just bunking down for the night before rising at seven and have a breakfast in less gilt surroundings. One still has to pay GBP 60 in the cheapest BB´s and then breakfast is often not served as early as 730 PM and certainly not dinner which inevitably means that one has to fork out at least GBP 15 for break-o at Gatwick and GBP 30 for a pub dinner for two. So, just add 95 bucks to get the lot! We are not made of money and realise that it might offend someone on the website if we think it is "cheap" with GBP 200 for a night of sleep-we just want to inform people that the package options are sometimes VERY rewarding, the service, surroundings and food in both these places absolutely top class and that we endorse them heartily:
Stanhill court for "ordinary" stopovers (with rack rates for ordinary doubles far lower than fourposter suites) and Alexander house for anniversaries, engagements, marriages, or,simply when life is so grey that You need to be cheered up!

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”