camouflage pattern

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Lena S

camouflage pattern

Post by Lena S »

Hello!
One thing we didn´t know about Tobago - you are not allowed to have anything on/whith you that is camouflagepatterned!
When we arrived there some weeks ago, one of our 10years old sons were stopped at the the "securitydesk" because he had a bag that was camopatterned. They also saw his sweater which was partly the same.
He had to leave his bag and sweater, and were told that he might not get them back at all. And then they had to look through all our luggage for more dangerous things... This was at 2 am, after a journey of almost 20 hours, so we were not in the mood of asking or argueing about anything.

Two weeks later, when we had checked in to go home again, he really got his things back again, after some searching and help from not so very friendly staff....

Does anybody have a small explanation about since when and why they have these rules :?:

Lena
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

It's the law that no one except the military and various police and security can wear military or pseudo-military dress.
David
Lena S

Post by Lena S »

Hi David!
Thanks for your answer. I understand that it´s a law, and of course as a visitor one has to respect it. We were just so amazed about it, as we stupid swedes are so used to see that pattern almost on everything...

But the next time we visit Tobago ( I´m already there in my mind ) we know about this and will certainly take only our bags whith flowers on.

Lena
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

cammo clad angels

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Hi, my assumption is that this law was created after the incident in 1967 when Britain tried to dissociate themselves from Caribbean colonies by lumping together S.t Kitts, Nevis and Anguilla as an independent state when the Federation didn´t materialize. Anguilla did decidedly NOT want to be independent and openly rebelled, if that is the world, against the decision of the crown to let them be independent. There were shots fired at S.t Kitt´s police coming to arrest anguillans, and I believe, even a retributive invasion against St Kitts using motorboats and hunting rifles, which petered out to nothing. Failing to reach an agreement with Britain they actually declared the Independent Republic of Anguilla! When a junior minister of the Crown came to discuss terms for either a restitution to colonial status or Independence on Britain´s terms, e g With S.t Kitts and Nevis the Anguillans simply threw him out in 1969. This was deemedly serious enough for the launch of 315 soldiers from a para regiment supported with two frigates, HMS Rothesay and another one (sorry-forgot :oops: )against Anguilla. Of course the "Red Devils" only encountered cheering locals with union jacks showing patriotic gusto. The end result is that Anguilla after a protracted discussion received formal British dependency status again in 1980.
Possibly the affair in Grenada which ended with the Caribbean-USA coalition ousting president Bishop also plays a role.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi everyone I did try to avoid this .......there was an attempted coup 1990/1 which I am led to believe led to this legislation.
David
Gill M

Post by Gill M »

Same rules in Barbados too - it isn't just Tobago!!
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

nower days you might see some locals ignore the law, but as a tourist its a no-no.
at the immigration it seems to depend on the mood of the officer. had some gusts who where wearing a short camouflage pants and he just had to change in the airport and could keep it after promising not to wear it again... I know it is hard after a 20 hour trip, but sometimes a smile does the trick... only sometimes... :wink:
P Strange

Post by P Strange »

I have never noticed before until my partner chloe was quickly stuffing her shirt camo pattern into her bag at the airport,luckily she had a plain green tee shirt underneath, i was wearing combat style trousers but they were plain green and that was not an issue. just aswell they did not see my other stuff in my suitcase once out and about i have never had any problems. rules are rules i suppose :oops:
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

I believe T&T Defence and Cadet Force are using UK Camo, some years ago they was supposed to change type of camo but someone did steel many sets of the new ones, so they had to go back to the old ones.

After that the roles become even harder. I know that shops in Trinidad which did sell T-shirts, pants and caps for children, mostly type Street Camo, they did close down the shop and all camos was taken away.

I don´t even think they would accept anything in Swedish Green Camo, they don´t want to see anything with military style on peoples who aren´t a mlitary. That means that even an all green floppy hat also can cause problem.

Visitors must for sure not use any type of military style clorthing, bags or hats/caps.
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

seem to enforcing this a bit more rigidly recently is my observation. twice in the last 6 months ive seen people being made to change out of their stuff in the arrivals hall. g/f has a pink/grey/green camo pattern skirt which she nearly had to hand over last time!

theres an old law kicking around most of the islands which is along the lines of "impersonating a member of the armed forces" but the current stuff seems specifically related to camo (unless anyone knows differently of course).

paul
Mel M

Post by Mel M »

My husband has just had an experience of having to change out of combats at the airport. The staff were very friendly and let him change in their office and keep his trousers. I was concerned as the only pair of shorts I had brought were combat. I mentioned this to the lady in customs who told us I was unlikey to get in trouble as I was a girl and they were obviously fashion shorts rather than military. My husband was asked not to wear his again though.
She asked us to tell everyone we knew who was going to Tobago about the no combats rule so they must get a fair few people having to go trough this on arrival which is not nice for anyone. She also mentioned that it was something to do with combats being associated with petty criminals - a bit like hoodies over here.
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Have you tried to buy a pair of "non-camo" shorts lately? It's easier to spot a dry tent at Glastonbury!
Nisha Williams

Post by Nisha Williams »

So is it camouflaged clothes and combat trousers that are banned? Both myself and my boyfriend have combats but they are just olive green/tan brown. Will we get in trouble wearing these?
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Yes
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Hang on, are knee length single colour olive green shorts are also "illegal"?

This is getting really silly now.

When is the last time a 'soldier' wore flip flops and a straw hat?!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Marc,it is camouflage,ie jungle or desert type stuff,olive green ,khaki etc is ok,but it must not look militaristic.
David
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

I have what amounts to a pair of dark green "army" shorts (read knee length and with side pockets). It's almost impossible to get shorts that don't look like "army greens" these days - unless one goes for lairy surf shorts.

I appreciate they make the rules but it's a bit like getting into trouble for impersonating a cowboy because you have jeans on! :shock:
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Marc Jones wrote:it's a bit like getting into trouble for impersonating a cowboy because you have jeans on! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen lots of people at immigration wearing green or khaki shorts and shirts with no problems - It's camo patterns that attract the attention :shock: .
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Phew!

I now think I know everything (and probably more than I needed to) about taking camo-patterned clothes to Tobago. I'm going for a lie down.

Tony

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”