Monarch Baggage Allowance

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi

My partner and I are due to fly out to Tobago from Gatwick next Saturday with Monarch Airlines. Unfortunately, we have now been told that we have to collect our tickets from the airport on the day.

We contacted the Travel Agent (http://www.theholidayplace.com), and they have stated that the baggage allowance is 40kg per person. This seems very high for a charter flight.

Before I let my partner pack her entire wardrobe (I figure 40kg for her plus 30 kg of my allowance!!), please can somebody who has flown with Monarch to Tobago recently confirm the baggage allowance?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Neil

Your question has made me dig through the pile of myTobago post-it notes on my desk reminding me of things to do - add details of baggage allowances to our Air Travel pages.

I can confirm that Monarch Premium class is 40Kg per person. I don't know about standard economy. I believe they jacked the allowance up quite a bit during the past year, because we had problems in 2000 and it took a lot of pleading to avoid paying excess. With that in mind, we packed slightly less this year despite going for twice as long. We were surprised therefore when we weighed our stuff on the bathroom scales and found that even combined, we only came to 30Kg - less than one person's allowance.

Anyway, I shall contact Golden Travel and find out the score with regards to the Monarch economy class allowance and advise further here.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Sat May 27, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Warren B

Post by Warren B »

When I flew with Monarch 2 years ago to Goa (different I know) but we went Premium and the allowance then was only 30kg and the normal squash together class was 20kg but wether it has been adjusted I dont know as I now rather pay a bit extra in, some brochures and fly schedule rather than charter.

You tend to get all the privelledge of the premium class as standard in economy on scheduled flights and oudles of room. which does help when you are my size of 19 stone ex rugby player of 6 foot with shoulders to wide for bog standard seats on a charter flight.

Hope this helps but you could always ring Monarch who are based at Luton or try the website which may help one or the other will confirm this !

Have fun neil you lucky Devil :wink:
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Steve for your info Virgin is 2 Cases, each not more than 32kg thats 64kg per person could take the kitchen sink. Also you can book your seats 180 days in advance.
Michelle Edwards

Post by Michelle Edwards »

Hi Neil,

We are also flying out on Saturday to Tobago 'cattle class', sorry, economy and I have just checked my ticket and it definately says you get 40kg bagage allowance, so I can pack at least another 2 pairs of shoes. The current flight time on the ticket is 07:50 and we have been advised to check in 2 hours prior to this.

Hope this helps

Michelle :lol:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Neil

Golden Caribbean have just confirmed to me that the baggage allowance on the Monarch flights to/from Tobago are 40 kilos per person in both Standard and Premium economy. Well done Monarch - BA is only 32kg in Economy and 40kg in Club World. So, you can pack more than a shower bag, Neil.

Have a great time and let us know how you get on.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thanks, everyone - I received an e-mail from Monarch today confirming that the baggage allowance is indeed 40kg. This particular airline has already got off on the right foot with me. Next challenge is will be whether or not they have our vegetarian meals that we requested!!

Michelle - thanks for mentioning the flight time. We were told by our travel agent that the flight time was 6.50am. You may have just given us an extra hours kip!!

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”