Wheelchair access on flights

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Linda P

Wheelchair access on flights

Post by Linda P »

Hi, We will be taking our disabled daughter to Tobago with us next year, having been a few times ourselves we know that we will be able to get around with her and have found suitable accomodation, however have any wheelchair users ever flown with Excel? getting her on to the plane at Gatwick will not be a problem, but how do we get her off in Tobago?

Thanks
Linda P
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Linda

That's an interesting one! They must have come across this tons of time, so I'm confident that there is a simple solution. Perhaps they use one of the hydraulic lifts that they use for loading luggage and catering supplies, etc. The safest thing might be to email XL (as they are now called) and ask them, or check out their website at XL.com
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Linda, during my travels between Tobago and Trinidad, from time to time I've seen ground staff use special narrow wheelchairs to help disabled passengers on and off the Tobago Express Dash 8 aircraft - so for sure they have wheelchairs and are used to dealing with disabled passengers. I'm sure once you ask Excel to request a wheelchair for arrival in Tobago it should not be a problem on the Tobago end.
Clyde
Patrick Dankou
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Patrick Dankou »

Hi Linda, don't worry...just request the type of help you need with the wheelchair, basically in the airline world there are 2 wheelchair related requests: WCHR stands for wheelchair assistance ( passenger is able to get outside aircraft without professional help) and WCHC means that passenger is immobile and needs to be taken off aircraft by trained staff.
Crown Point airport is prepared to handle both requests.[/b]
Patrick Dankou
Yes Tourism - http://www.Yes-Tourism.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Many Thanks Steve, Clyde and Patrick,

I will contact XL before we book our flights, we didn't really fancy struggling to carry a 16year old off the plane! I will let you know how we get on,

Linda
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Linda, I'm sure that you won't have a problem at all. A Dash 8 is a 50 seater turboprop so if they can get passengers on and off that aircraft, the XL jet should present no difficulties.
Clyde
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks for your suggestions about wheelchair access, I e-mailed XL and they replied;

We offer different types of wheelchair assistance, if you just need help up and down the stairs that would not be a problem. We can arrange for pre-broading and seating at the front of the aircraft.
There would be no problem for us to be able to assist your self and your daughter on this flight.

All we need to do is inform them of our needs when we book, and the rest will be taken care of, although to be on the safe side I think I will also ring closer to the travel date to confirm everything.

Linda

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”