XL goes into administration

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
HelenaVM
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

XL goes into administration

Post by HelenaVM »

I've just seen that XL has gone into administration, grounding flights and stranding a lot of people overseas.

It looks like the flight from Tobago yesterday HAS arrived this morning at Gatwick - fortunately as my Mum is on that flight! I also had our refund from our cancelled flights yesterday...I just hope now the cheque doesn't bounce.

Horrendous news all round, I think. It is going to be hell for everyone affected who thought they were still going to fly over the next few weeks.
Ben W

Re: XL goes into administration

Post by Ben W »

It seems that Tobago goers may well be lukcy in the end that XL cancelled the flights some time back and had refunded the money, judging by the TV this AM it seems many others will not be quite so fortunate and would have lost thousands

In addition to the above I suspect there to also be many destination and frquency cut backs, even the big boys like BA and Ryan Air are doing this, so further are likely to follow. Hopefully the BA, VS and approaching Monarch flights to Tobago will have loads that justify the scheduling
Andrew Prince
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Andrew Prince »

Helena
I would suggest you try to clear your cheque as quickly as possible. I fear however that almost certainly the bank account will have been closed by the administrators and you will be an unsecured creditor. If you originally paid by credit card you may be able to get a refund from your card provider.
Does anyone know what will happen to people who have booked directly with XL and are now stranded on Tobago. As I understand it these people are not covered by the CAA repatriation scheme and will have to make their own way home? I have a work colleague in this position.
Richard P

Post by Richard P »

The Today Programme on Radio 4 this morning suggested that anyone not covered by ATOL may be able to get a space on the CAA repatriation flights for cost price.

This is backed up by the BBC News website:
An estimated 10,000 people who bought flight tickets on an XL plane either through the website http://www.xl.com or through a travel agent and are currently abroad are not formally covered by the ATOL scheme.

But the CAA says it will arrange to bring you home anyway, though you will be charged the cost price of the flight.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7611849.stm

Rich
HelenaVM
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by HelenaVM »

Well, unfortunately our cheque (banked the day before the news broke) was stopped by the administrators - so now I am trying to get the refund on the credit card that I (thankfully) used. I had absolutely no idea that booking via XL.com meant that we weren't covered.... so that is a lesson learned!

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”