Rent car at Piarco, return in Tobago?

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Stacy
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Rent car at Piarco, return in Tobago?

Post by Stacy »

Does anyone know of a company that will allow you to rent a car at Piarco and then return it at Crown Point? We'd like to have the car a couple days in Trinidad, take it on the ferry to Tobago, and then return it at Crown Point the morning we fly out.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Rent car at Piarco, return in Tobago?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Stacy

Welcome aboard! :)

The sort of facility that is common in North America but pretty much unheard of if T&T I suspect. I strongly suspect that the answer is no. In fact as I understand it, the rental firms will not allow you to hire a car in Tobago for use in Trinidad - and it may well be the same the other way around.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Stacy

I can confirm what Steve say is true. You have to rent a car when in Trinidad and than an other one when in Tobago. I don´t know of any car rental in Tobago which would allow you to take the car across to Trinidad.

The reason might be that the cars might be missed if they do like this, or, there´s no company with representation into both islands. Same country, two islands, but i real, sometimes, like two different countries.

Ronald
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Folks,

this is not entirely correct.
The following car rental businesses have offices in both Trinidad and Tobago:

AR Auto Rentals (Neal & Massy)
Thrifty
Den's

The reason why car rental operations in Tobago don't like their vehicles being used in Trinidad
is that many of them do not have an electronic alarm system or demobilizer.
If you rent a car in Trinidad though, it should be no problem to bring it to Tobago.
The businesses mentioned above should be able to make customer friendly arrangements.

Cheers,

Andy

P.S.
ECONOCAR, which is listed here with an office in Tobago, no longer rents cars there, only tour buses.

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”