Naughty Virgin

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Naughty Virgin

Post by Paul Tallet »

Oh well

Booked my flight for 30th January 2012 (Monday).

Just found out today that Virgin cancelled all their Monday flights weeks ago. They didn't tell me ... I found out!!

I can have an alternative flight or a refund ... no compensation.

I go on the Virgin site for alternatives only to see that they are still selling Monday flights.

Whatever ... I have to change all my accomodation and put others to alot of trouble.

Shame on you Mr Branson ... and you should stop continuing to flog Monday flights on your website that don't exist !!

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Naughty Virgin

Post by Robert T »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for telling us. Lucky we haven't booked our flight yet.

Rob
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Paul,

Just wondering where you may have gotten that info regarding the Monday flights? Spoke to Virgin Atlantic yesterday and I was told that none of the Monday flights had been cancelled. Also checked with Gatwick , there are scheduled Monday flights to Tobago for the period of December 12-March 3. VS51 is to take off at 0910 tomorrow morning.

Rob
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Rob

My information comes from Charter Travel ... Danny on 01635 551011 ... They are asking me to reschedule my flight that were booked in June 2011 because Virgin have cancelled their Monday flights. It looks like there are no flights available on Monday from Virgin on their website but this could be because they are fully booked ?!?

This is all I am working on - any ideas?

Regards

PS - I'm on holiday so restricted access to this forum until NYEve
Paul Tallet
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi All

All seems to be a bit of a mystery. The Virgin Atlantic website is showing flights, and availability, on Monday flights for all dates except 30th January. So, it does indeed look as if that flight has been cancelled or is fully booked. I would suggest the latter and my guess is that you have been bumped from the flight. What do you know about this Charter Travel outfit? I can certainly confirm that I have not heard anything about cancellation of the Monday flights and the Virgin site is taking bookings for all other Mondays in January through March on the Monday service.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

This is the respone I have received ... it seems that this is an unforeseen cancellation by Virgin.

I have accepted the alternative arrangement for the 2nd Feb which means I will have to change a few things re; accomodation etc.

All credit is due to the travel agent I have used I guess.
I hope you are well? Thanks for your patience with me over the weekend

There is an Ad-hoc cancellation on the 30th only – I noted one of the comments on the forum saying that the flight is full and you have been bumped off – that is totally un true and there is no Tobago Service operating full stop on the 30th!

I have spoken to Virgin and I can switch you over to the following :

VS51 02FEB GATWICK – TOBAGO 0900 1355
VS52 23FEB TOBAGA – GATWICK 1925 0750*

A refund of £79.20 would also be applied to the above.

Or alternatively the full refund still applies.

There are only a few seats showing – let me know at your earliest convenience.

Let's hope I get the last few seats [-o<

Kind regards,

Danny
[/quote]
Paul Tallet
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Paul,

Yes it seems that's the only cancelled flight so I've heard too. My friend's just booked his flights with the same return date and there's still 85 seats showing on the return flight (said to be the busiest) so you are surely going to get one.

Rob
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thanks Rob

I have not had concrete confirmation yet but your info puts my mind at rest.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi Paul-
Hope you get your flight.

Will we finally get to meet? Dick & I arrive at the Naturalist on Feb. 16 & are staying in Grouper. Hope you're still there by then.

Joanne
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes Joanne

I will be there until the 23rd.

I am sure we can sort something out.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Update ...

This is the unacceptable response we have received today (9 days later) to a perfectly reasonable complaint.

Our questions were not fully answered and, judging by the normal terms and conditions that us punters are obliged to meet (i.e.; cancellation fees to change flights etc) ... I think Virgin should be ashamed of themselves.

See our complaint and their response below ...

Dear Sue and Paul

Thank you for your email dated the 20th December 2011. I apologise for my delay in responding to you.

I was concerned to learn that your reservation was affected by our adjusted schedule. We make every effort to ensure that our passengers are subject to the minimum of inconvenience, when a schedule change occurs. I would like to offer our sincere apologies for any disruptions caused.

However, if I may explain, different situations mean that we are sometimes in the position of having to alter our schedules. Our survival in the industry depends on flexibility, particularly in the current climate. It is important that we evaluate our operations from time to time to ensure that we structure our routes to enable us to function and remain a viable business.

In reviewing your reservation, I can see that you flight on the 30th January (VS0051), was cancelled due to operational reasons. I am sorry if this is some what vague, however I am unable to provide you with a more detailed explanation.

Whilst we are unable to compensate you for the change in schedule, you are of course entitled to cancel your reservation and apply for a full refund. If you do wish to apply for a refund, you would need to do so directly with your travel agent.

I realise that this will not be the response that you would have hoped for, and I am again sorry for any inconvenience caused. I can only hope that although disappointed, that this will not lessen your enjoyment of Virgin Atlantic, nor your time spent on board with us.

In closing, please allow me to again thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Kind Regards

Ben Hastain
Customer Relations Executive

Dear Virgin,

I would like to make a serious and formal complaint about the service I have received on the above flight. My partner has flown with you on many occasions with no problems. Imagine our disappointment with our flight on 30th January to Tobago being cancelled. We had booked this flight in June and to be told by our travel agent that we had to change last week was devastating. I work in higher education and had taken all summer to move my lectures, practical and research schedules around the dates of 30th Jan to 21st Feb. Therefore, I was coming back to the UK with full schedule for Thurs and Friday that week having moved everything and made lots of swaps with colleagues. Now I find that I either have to fly on 26th Jan or 2nd Feb to accommodate your schedule - hardly 'treating customers fairly'? My travel agent also informs me that I need to make my mind up quickly as these flights may be sold out.

I have a number of questions:
1. what is the situation with this flight?
2. why was it cancelled?
3. what form of compensation will you be offering to clients as a result of this?
4. why should I book with Virgin again if you can let us down so close to the departure date?

This was a special holiday which is starting to be very stressful - we are now having to renegotiate with accommodation, special excursions including pre-booked birthday and anniversary celebrations.

Your prompt reply would be appreciated.

Yours glumly

Sue and Paul

Is this 'treating customers fairly''?

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”