Guest Report

10 apartments in Canaan (listing)
Dun Thomas

Guest Report

Post by Dun Thomas »

It would be very difficult for me to recommend this establishment based on my experience. Firstly despite making arrangements in advance, I had to endure a two hour wait for my room to be ready. The reason given by the "manager" was that they had some unexpected bookings so they had to wait for guests to check out. How is this my problem?

Next, I was in the country for a triathlon, so I had my bike. The following morning, the manager came to my room to inform me that they do not allow bikes in the room. I told her I had seen no indication of this on their website or even in their rules. However she insisted that was their policy and that there would be no compromise.

I then asked if they offered an alternative storage arrangement for bikes to which she indicated that there was a store-room usually used for maintenance equipment but they could not guarantee that it would be safe.

I therefore told her that there is no way I'm leaving my US$4000 bike in some shed that was not secure. I was then given the option of leaving the bike outside of the room or simply leaving. I asked to speak to the owner to which she continuously replied, the owner is unavailable.

I decided to leave.

I've stayed at dozens of hotels and guesthouses in Tobago (with my bike) and have never encountered such foolishness at any other place. The island is excellent for riding and many shops rent bikes to visitors. If that's your intention, then this is not the place for you.

Needless to say, I will never be returning to this place and will never recommend it, especially to cyclist and triathletes or anyone intending to ride.
Sylvia Yeates
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Re: Guest Report

Post by Sylvia Yeates »

We have read the report of Mr Dun Thomas posted on 24th June, 2013 and say as follows:
Mr Dun Thomas was one in a party of 4 guests staying in one apartment. He was checked in at 12.07pm. The check in time published on our website and guest rules booklet indicate that our check in time is 2.00pm. This is also in keeping with International standards. In any event, we tried our best to facilitate their early arrival.

Mr Thomas and his party of 3 others checked into our 1 bedroom apartment with 3 road bikes. There were therefore 2 adults, 1 teenager, and 1 toddler plus 3 bikes in the very one apartment.

Management offered alternative storage for the bikes on the same day of their arrival in our secure linen storeroom. There are no sheds at Papa Joe's Place - unsecured or otherwise.

The alternative storage was rejected and the only compromise the guests were willing to entertain was to forgo the daily cleaning service during the period they were booked (05 nights). This was not acceptable to the management of this establishment as cleaning of our apartments is very high on our priority list. A spotlessly clean environment is what we are known for and take pride in.

Accordingly, the party of guests arranged alternative accommodation. Papa Joe's Place considered the entire affair quite unfortunate, but held firm to our view that it was untenable to expect that our apartment house 4 individuals and 3 road bikes.

Quite magnanimously, a full refund was given to the guests when they refused to accept alternative storage offered for bikes. Accordingly, the guests were accommodated at no cost to them for the one night spent with us.

We appreciate the opportunity to air our side of the story, and wish everyone the best in all endeavours

Return to “Papa Joe's Place”