Guest Report

2 apartments on outskirts of Castara.
Robert Mearkle

Guest Report

Post by Robert Mearkle »

I stayed in the guest room at Sandcastles for 4 days in January, 2007 and would return again in a heartbeat. The location (up the hill as you enter Castara) was ideal, with few distractions around, ocean views from the room and lush nature all around. It's a quick walk down to the beautiful Castara beach and short drive to neighboring bays. Peaceful moments were abundant, as there is only one other apartment at Sandcastles and no real foot traffic. Adam and Ria, the owners, have just opened a restaurant on the premises and the gourmet fare is not to be missed. On the night I joined them, there was pumpkin soup (served in the gourd), beef tenderloin, greek salad and other succulent sides. Not a fried chicken in sight. Adam and Ria are very friendly and generous and you truly feel like a welcome house guest (complete with host dogs and their young daughter Lizzy), though they're mindful to respect your privacy and keep noise to a minimum. The apartment has a small front room, complete with microwave, refrigerator, some dishes, a TV/DVD player and plenty of books and movies, should you be in the mood. The bedroom has some storage space and an adequate bed w/mosquito net. The creatively painted bathroom is a bit tight, but sufficient. I knew ahead of time that this smaller apartment only has a cold shower, which I didn't mind in the heat of Tobago. It was enough to get and stay clean with. Castara is charming and the walk up and down the hill rewards the visitor with some gorgeous vistas. For the price, this is a highly recommended accomodation for the low-maintenance traveler looking for some quiet time and gorgeous Caribbean relaxation. Enjoy.

Return to “Sandcastles”