Guest Report

5 cottage/apartments at Castara (listing)
Kristin Scott

Guest Report

Post by Kristin Scott »

Staying at the Blue Mango in Castara Bay, Tobago is an absolute dream. The past two years my husband, son and I have spent time in the Sweet Point cottages. They are wonderful "off the beaten path" gems. The Blue Mango is for travelers who are looking to loose themselves in tranquility. If you are looking for a place jam packed with tourists the Blue Mango and Castara Bay are not for you. We find it to be both romantic and family friendly at the same time. The peace and quiet of the lovely surroundings are just my idea of a vacation. Whether it is the hummingbirds and butterflies that visit or just the sounds of the ocean. Both my husband and I are artists and found our stay to be truly inspiring. This year we had planned to further explore Tobago and were so happy in Castara Bay we didn't start the car once.

The Blue Mango offers private balconies and the bay views are just wonderful from sunrise to sunset. Some nights we even took our dinners to go so we could spend more time relaxing under the stars on ours. My husband even counted 13 shooting stars in two nights this year. Breezes through the rooms are delightful. The cottages are comfortable and nicely decorated so that they have a wonderful island feel. They are rustic, but cleanly and well appointed with linens. Having a kitchen in our room is ideal traveling with a child. It offered everything I needed to prepare meals and keep us well equipped with cold rum drinks. Visits from "the fruit king" put fresh mangoes bananas, watermelons and oranges right at our finger tips and the local grocery offered any items we needed. Having hot water in our shower was a nice surprise. Those in the know will tell you this not always an "off the beaten path" luxury. Much to our liking there are not phones to ring and interrupt unwinding or televisions to remind of the outside world. There is however wireless internet to use on which we sent messages home bragging of how much fun we were having.

The beach in Castara Bay is lovely. White sand, clear water and calm waves. It is quite satisfying to see tour boats show off the bay and know you get to just stay there. Watching the fishermen pull in the daily catch is even an event. They do sell to local restaurants and eating the king fish, dolphin or mahi mahi straight out of the ocean is just divine. Not to mention the yummy curry delights. Snorkleing off the beach to the right side of the bay is also nice. We saw parrot, angel, puffer needle fish and more. Having lots of schools of fish swimming all around was so peaceful. We were able to float on top of the ocean with absolute ease. There is even another small beach around the curve of rocks that is easily accessed.

Colin, Rebecca and Trinity have made the Blue Mango a home away from home for us. In every way they helped us to be comfortable and enjoy our stay. They became more than owners of the place we stayed. More like friends. If a small hike to a waterfall interests you, simply inquire and they will explain how to get there. This was the case with most anything we asked for. Rebecca even shared some of her plans for the Clay Kitchen restaurant they are renovating and I cannot wait to return and enjoy the ambiance and tasty local treats we discussed. My only complaint would have been that we would have loved to stay longer. My family is already day dreaming of our next stay at the Blue Mango.

Return to “Blue Mango Cottages”