Guest Report

2-bedroom cottage at Castara (listing)
Clive Jones

Guest Report

Post by Clive Jones »

Having spent two wonderful weeks in Castara where we stayed at The Little House on the Hill, I promised Margeurite that I would write about our stay.

The accommodation is a 2 bedroom house located on the outskirts of Castara along the road to Englishman's Bay, about a quarter mile from the beaches.

The house is of mainly wooden construction with slat windows making it airy, with a balcony overlooking the hillsides and the fruit & flower garden, frequented by numerous birds and lizards; or you can watch them from the hammock by the kitchen door. The balcony is a great place to 'lime' in the evening with a cool breeze and a cooler beer, listening to the sounds of the forest and looking up at the stars in the clear sky.

It is simply furnished, and the beds were comfortable - complete with mosquito nets and a fan in each room. The kitchen area is great for self-catering, having a fridge/freezer, gas cooker, microwave, sink and drainer, toaster, pots & pans, etc. If you want to eat out, Margeurite's Restaurant in Castara is highly recommended (see reviews under places to eat out).

Hot and cold water is available, with a shower in the bathroom. Clothes can be washed and dried quickly on the clothes line outside.

The electricity is 110V using US style adapters; there is a telephone that will receive incoming calls. Public telephones and local shops are available in Castara, and delicious fresh bread is baked there every Thursday and Saturday.

Castara has some very steep hills, so I would recommend hiring a car for at least some of your time there. Margeurite has a hire car available, and will also arrange transfers to/from the airport, all at very competitive rates.

In summary, we really enjoyed our stay at The Little House on the Hill in Castara. The accommodation is basic but comfortable, and affordable. Margeurite and Sherwin are wonderful hosts. Thanks for a great time.

Return to “Little House On The Hill”