Man o war bay cottages

10 cottages at Charlotteville (listing)
Kristine White

Man o war bay cottages

Post by Kristine White »

Hello,
Has anyone stayed at the man o war bay cottages? I know steve recommends top river pearl as an alternative because of the changes to the cottages. To be honest with you though...they still sound pretty amazing. Sleeping in a cute cottage 10 feet from the beach. What do you think steve....would you really not recommend them?? Looking for any advise.
Kristine :roll:
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kristine

My love for Tobago was born in those cottages. My regard for the family that own them so high that I would gladly have given them half of the home page of myTobago to promote the cottages if they wanted it.

Sadly, the three members of the family that I knew have passed away and with their passing, all communication ceased. Worse still, the current incumbents have obvious 'issues' with myTobago. My emails have been totally ignored and I was shown extreme and very embarassing rudeness during my one visit to their plantation house, arranged by a mutual friend. It is therefore a very touchy subject and one that brings me very great sadness.

Trying to be as objective as possible, I can only say that from what I hear, very little has been done to the cottages for many years and they are said to be very basic and in urgent need of some TLC. The forum has received virtually no comment on the cottages, that I can recall.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hello Kristine,Istayed in C'ville for two weeks earlier this year and had a walk around the little "estate" that the cottages are in.I didn't go inside any of the properties,however general appearances seem to indicate a rather run down feeling about the place.Having said that,they are in a wonderful location,scattered around the "gardens"directly adjacent to the beach and not far from the bars/restaurants.
Not very helpful I suppose but that's it!
David
Louise I
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Louise I »

Hi,

We stayed in the cottages 3 years ago and have since also stayed at Cholson Chalets and Top River Pearl. The cottages remain our favourite because of the location - it is amazing getting up and just walking outside the gate for a swim.

They remain our favourite location and we will stay there again.

Louise
PS Loved both the other places as well - our view is you can't go wrong in Charlotteville as it - and the people - are wonderful!
Richard Watson

man o war bay cottages, charlotteville - paradise lost

Post by Richard Watson »

I recently booked two cottages for the fishing tournament in Charlotteville. They are now very run-down and most of the fittings are delapidated or rusted through. Water and electricity are intermittent, and sparks often fly out of the electrical fittings. There are cockroaches in the kitchens the size of desert spoons. We were there five days and only saw the maid once. The staff have little concept of courtesy, and we were overcharged on departure (which i hope is now being addressed).
On a more serious note my friend was robbed while asleep in his cottage. He awoke at 2.30 am to find a local man dressed only in his underpants leaning over him in his bed and undoing his gold neck chain. Once he had released the clasp he was out of the door like a shot and not seen again, together with two cellphones. When it was reported to the local police they commented that it 'happens all the time in those' cottages. There was a further robbery the following day from another cottage. Security was nowhere to be seen. The owner seems not to care less and implied it was our own fault for not locking the door (3 bed cottage with only one key- not everyone was yet back) and inviting a couple of locals to a BBQ the previous night ( old friends of many years - including one of the cottage seurity guards). An email on similar lines to this was sent to the owner recently as she declined to meet us, and has yet to reply. I wouldn't stay there again.

Return to “Man-O-War Bay Cottages”