Guest Report

2 apartments in Castara (listing)
Ryan Stroschein

Guest Report

Post by Ryan Stroschein »

The Toad Hall "complex" actually has four units. In addition to Toad Hall, there is the Tadpole, Toad Heights, and Leapfrog. We -- two adults and a five-year-old -- stayed at Leapfrog for 4 nights and found it to be a very good accommodation.

The good:

It is very new (built in 2007) and very clean. If you can handle simple as long as it's clean, this is an excellent choice.

It is imminently affordable.

Steve and Rita (the British owners that spend several months a year in Tobago) were staying in the Toad Hall unit when we were there and they were very gracious and welcoming. They provided a small bed for our son and a mosquito net for him as well.

The arranged for Horace Jackson to pick us up from the airport when we arrived and also to drive us around the island whenever we needed a lift. He was a wonderful, knowledgeable, friendly guide and we will look him up again when we go back.

It is only a 5 minute walk (albeit up a very steep hill) from the beach.

Things you should know:

It does not have any hot water. Given the balmy climate, my wife and I were fine with that, but our kindergartener wasn't. We set a jug of tap water in the sun each morning and it was toasty for an evening shower.

It has no air conditioning but it does have a fan that blows directly on the bed and a large floor fan to pull air through.

Really stock up at the grocery store before you leave Scarborough. Buy plenty of water, food, and beer; you'll use them.

Our biggest complaint was the bed. It was a single, stiff foam mattress on a frame of planks. I thought it was adequate but my wife found it really uncomfortable. If we don't go back, it will be because of that.

In summary, it's a well-situated, clean, simple place, run by friendly people and offered at a bargain price. If you're confident you can handle the bed, go for it.

Return to “Castara Villas”