Guest Report

2 apartments in Castara (listing)
Bryan

Guest Report

Post by Bryan »

In the interest of preserving the sacred score of "5" for the most fantastic experience possible (which I have experienced only once in my life at a safari camp on the shore of the Zambezi River), I give Steve, Horace and Rita a 4.2. I found their establishment during a web search. I had not been to Castara before so was taking a bit of a chance but it worked out fantastically. Horace picked me up from the airport (and dropped me off too) and was timely, a very safe driver, and a very informative. I stayed in Tadpoles--the one room efficiency--and it was clean, comfortable, and put together with a very keen sense for what works in the tropics. Unfortunately I booked at the last minute and could only stay there for part of my trip, but I would have preferred to stay there the whole time.

I had to move down the hill when my reservation expired to another location to a more expensive place and was disappointed. It was right on the water, but smelled strange and i felt like for the extra 15 USD I would have rather had a fan and better furniture than the A/C. I can't speak for other establishments on the beach, but my experience was that it is more touristy and actually hurting the local economy by centralizing everything along a narrow strip of land. It is also going to be destroyed if there is ever another hurricane. One of the more well-to-do locals also filled in what must have been a fantastic mangrove swamp in order to put in a tiny grocery store. The upland places to stay, at least from my perspective, give visitors a better sense of day to day life in Tobago and disburse the tourist dollars more evenly throughout the community.

Return to “Castara Villas”