Guest Report

2 unit villa development at Mount Irvine (listing)
Arthur James

Guest Report

Post by Arthur James »

Hibiscus Villas was a disappointment.However, with the strong
Euro and Europeans who are prepared to travel a long distance, their tolerance of missing even basic amenities is surprising when for the same shortcomings wouldn't be tolerated in their home country for comparable money.
In net,
--our 2 bedroom unit had no enclosed sitting area. We sat in an outdoor porch which didn't protect you from the hot pm sun or the rain which came intermittently daily. If you are with another couple, you must retreat to bedrooms.
--we did not have access to a phone (bringing one is a safety must)
--we were without water for the last 3 days (the owner had not filled the water tanks)
--when water was secured again, only dirty deep browny silt came out of the taps. Our unit never was clear before we left.
--when we had clean water at the beginning of our week, there was only a trickle of water from our showers.
--the only way to get somewhat relieved of the heat/humidity was in the pool. Unfortunately, the owner turned the pool to brown while cleaning. As a result, we were unable to swim during our last 3 days.
--the only water we had for brushing teeth and facewashing was from water we had brought with us.I was reduced to shaving my last day with battery water I had secured locally earlier in the week.
--if you are allergic to cats-stay away from Hibiscus Villas as a cat family lives in residence with you. My wife suffered terribly from asthma as a result.
--a promised drive to the airport(part of our money included with the room rate) was replaced with a taxi (at our expense)
--at NO time was there any apology by the owner for the loss of phone, water, or pool let alone any hint. Our biggest mistake was prepaying for the week.

Tobago is a long way from being more than a 3rd world tourist destination. This is especially sad given the natural beauty of the island and the wealth (oil) of Trinidad and Tobago.
I would never recommend Hibiscus Villas to anyone seeking a place on Tobago. The old adage "you get what you pay for" doesn't even apply here. The hire rates are high and even if everything worked perfectly, you can get better value than was available at Hibiscus Villas.

Return to “Tobago Hibiscus Golf Villas”