Guest Report

3-bedroom villa at Bon Accord (listing)
John Whyte

Guest Report

Post by John Whyte »

The villa is located in Alfred Crescent in Bon Accord, just a couple of minutes walk from the main drag the connects Crown Point with Scarborough. (it's virtually opposite the House of Pancakes - a mosquito-infested place that is grossly over-rated by the way.)

Caribbean Estates manage this property and an identical one. There are also two other identical properties on the Bon Accord Development. White Timbers is behind a high wall, with lots of beautiful plants in the garden. So whilst you can see the villa next door, it is very private. The outside is clean and fresh and this is reflected in the inside too. It has to be the best equipped small villa I've ever rented. The master bedroom and ensuite is huge and the other two bedrooms are of a good size too. The house has no ceilings - the extra height, full aircon and fans keeps it lovely and cool. The sitting room is tastefully decorated and and kichen area is very well equipped - juicer, smoothie maker, microwave, coffee machine, kettle, hob & oven, separate grill, dishwasher etc. There is also a washing machine and dryer in the utility room.
The pool is large for a villa of this size - though not deep. The gardens are very well kept and lovely - humming birds around.
Catherine, the maid, is lovely too and very helpful. There is full security on all doors and windows. The area around the villa is pretty unkempt with quite a few self-builds going on.

The villa was perfect. However, I was disappointed with the whole Bon Accord / Crown Point area. I chose this area as I was travelling with two teenage daughters and wanted to be in the part of the island where there was more "action". We didn't want to be isolated up a hill somewhere. I thought I was trading the more scenically (but isoltaed) coast and countryside further north for a more happening area. I wasn't. The Bon-Accord / Crown Point area is just dull and unattractive. There is no village centre and it looks like a series of ramshackle buildings strung along the road. (There was a certain scruffy charm to that.) But worse, there is little of the "action" we expected. By "action" we were not looking for Ibiza-style nightlife. Just a sense of there being a centre where you could stroll around. There isn't one and you can't. In fact there are not many restaurants - and always some were closed on any given day. The were scattered over a wide area - so you still really need a car or have to take a taxi.

Store Bay Beach is just grubby and the facilities around it are disgusting. Pigeon Point does live up to its reputation and is worth the entry fee and the taxi ride. Good bars on the beach too.

The airport experience was Hell. Enough said.

In summary - great villa; average location; worth every penny.

Return to “New Timbers”