Guest Report

2-bedroom villa at Castara (NOW CLOSED)
Tom & Laura Quilt

Guest Report

Post by Tom & Laura Quilt »

We stayed at Paradise Point & Hanging Gardens Villas for our wedding in April 2006. My parents & sister stayed in Paradise Point and we stayed in Hanging Gardens with Laura's parents & sister. The whole place can only be described as magically romantic whilst giving us the flexibility to hold our wedding reception on The Great Deck.

The villa is set on the hillside above the village of Castara with the rainforest below home to a variety of tropical birds. Hummingbirds regularly visited us whilst we sat with my parents having breakfast on the villa's balcony. In addition to the spectacular views, the mountain location meant that there was a constant breeze to cool us from the tropical sun. Set next to the official viewing point, the views of the ocean, rainforest and the beautiful fishing village of Castara were spectacular!

Yes it was a 5-minute drive to the beach (so too far for most to walk back up the long hill from the beach), but you don't get those views, rainforest, wildlife and cooling breeze when you are down in the village. We loved it and could not think of a more perfect location!!

THE ACCOMMODATION
Paradise Point is a fabulous villa that has been built with a passion for the outdoors and fabulous views. The villa is set under the Great Deck with two large air-conditioned double bedrooms with a small seating area in each. Between the bedrooms is the very functional kitchen that opens up onto deck area in front. It was perfectly clean, cosy and comfortable accommodation that could be air-conditioned or opened up to enjoy the cool mountain breeze.

The main seating area is set on a semi-circle area of deck giving plenty of room our families and friends (8+ people) to relax over dinner and enjoy a bottle or two of ice cold rum & ginger.

[We have added a review for the truly romantic Hanging Gardens under Hanging Gardens Accommodation in this section of the site]

THE GREAT DECK
The Great Deck is large enough for our 50 guests, BBQ buffet, bar, steel band, DJ & dance floor yet intimate enough for the family to sunbath or hold yoga sessions for a small group of people.

THE WATERFALL
A short but slightly challenging walk down the nature path (or hillside) below Paradise Point leads you to the secluded waterfall. The unusually dry weather in 2006 meant that we can’t comment on whether you can swim in the pool, but it was very romantic indeed. If you continue to follow the stream for a short distance, you reach the top of a spectacular waterfall that drops down to the ocean below. Although there is no access to the sea, it is worth the walk – but be careful as it would be a long fall!!

CASTARA VILLAGE
Castara is a small fishing village with 2-bays and all the basic facilities you need. By this I mean several restaurants & bars, a corner shop, a rum shop and a few locals (including the famous Porridge and Duck) who can offer all kinds of trips and activities. Don’t expect a huge choice on the menu, but when you go to the restaurant the food is fresh and tastes home cooked and you often feel like you have joined the family for dinner – which we loved!! For anything more than the basics, such as petrol or supermarkets, you will have to travel to one of the main towns.

All the locals were very friendly and made us feel welcome. We made it clear to all our friends that it is a small fishing village so it is basic in what it provides – but that means it is filled with the charm and friendliness of village life. ALL of our 40+ friends and family staying in Castara fell in love with the place!

Castara is in the mountainous rainforest area of the Island and away from all the big hotels and package holiday goers. Holiday accommodation in the village is hidden away or part of a family home so you are always surprised to see other holiday makers their. But the water is crystal clear and full of tropical fish and coral; the mountains are full of wildlife and waterfalls to explore; and each village in the Northern section of Tobago has its own charm and beauty to explore. To us this is what makes Tobago and Castara Village such a perfect location!!
Tony Gibson

castara

Post by Tony Gibson »

Tom & Laura,
Your description paints a beautiful picture of Castara, everyone that writes to MyTobago presents similer views, we cannot get until next April and I am now worried that I will be disapointed as it all sounds to idealick?(Sorry about the spelling)
I am glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Return to “Paradise Point Villa”